On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t Talkin\' \'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

there are 3 that stick out in my mind.....jimmy page "bowing" w/the violin bow in the song remains the same-----janick gers going over the top of the neck near the head of the guitar to play some notes(that ruled)-----jake e. lee holding the strings down on the neck w/his thumb on his fret hand and tapping the strings with the fingers on the same hand, it looked like a spider walking on the neck(it was in a laser disc boot i saw my homey mikeKramer's crib, don't recall the name of it)..........any other cool stuff you've seen?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nothing quite that obscure.

I'm like a little kid at a circus when Eddie plays Cathedral. The coordination of the hammer ons with the volume swells is cool. I know, "it's easy" you guys are saying. but I still find it almost relaxing to watch this part of Ed's solo.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i have a steve vai boot video..where he puls out his whammy bar and uses it as a slide and later in the show he screams into his pick up and steps on his whammy pedal at the same time......vai is a close second when it comes to my favorite players......ed s first though

------------------
    eddie vanhalen , there is no substitute. member of the G4

Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Something a little different at a Buddy Guy show I saw a few months back...Buddy went up to this girl near the front of the stage and made her "tickle his strings". He'd tell her where to touch it, and when she hit the strings, he was fretting with his left hand and made their "collaboration" sound good. He also did a variation of this by using his guitar cable to whack the strings.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jimi Hendrix playing "Hey Joe" and just rocking that whole song by playing his guitar with his teeth and then behind his back without missing a beat. For showmanship, nobody beats Hendrix in my book. My oldest brother got to see The Jimi Hendrix Experience live when he was in high school. Now he has seen them all live and he said nobody beat Jimi for a live show.

------------------
    "Sit down Waldo!"

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

RICK S. What Steve Vai bootleg is that!? I'd love to get a copy. One of the coolest things I ever saw a guitar player do was when Vai was with Whitesnake. He was about to play the solo to "Cheap & Nasty" and he was standing right at the front of the stage playing his Flame Guitar, wearing silver sunglassess, chewing gum and full of attitude. Right as he is about to play the two handed flurry of 32nd notes, someone threw a banner up at him. . .it was like it was in slow motion! He grabbed the banner with one hand before it landed on his strings (which would have ruined his solo) and held it above his head as he played the flurry of notes with one hand! BAD ASS.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Steve Vai is one hell of a showman.I think it takes a lot of faith in a guitar tech to sling your guitar through the air at him when your done with the show.I'd never do that to my JEM......

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.24.17 @ 06:35 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool thread Mark VH - A few come to mind also - Steve Vai with Whitesnake as he finished the solo in the song "Now Youre GOne" he released the guitar and it was hoisted into the rafters of teh Spectrum in Philly while the chord still resonated. They used this footage in the video which was shot that night back in 1990. ALso, something not so great, which can be seen on VH bootleg from Philly 1998 - Eddie pulled the cord out by accident during the solo for Ain't Talkin Bout Love.... Gary kept the "HEY HEY HEY's" goin until the guitar tech came to re attach things. Mike, and Al didnt miss a beat and Eddie ripped right into the solo upon becoming "plugged". Totally cool!!!

------------------
    Well ain't life grand when you finally hit it, I'm always a sucker for a real good time, woke up in life to find i almost missed it,aint I glad that love is blind

What kind of fashion is this flash infatation. Is all this admiration mutual. Need no lessons in emotional starvation, that look in her eyes is too good to be true

[This message has been edited by mikeKramer (edited September 21, 2000 at 06:36 PM).]

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Walter Mitty, S.R.V. did all of that playing behind the back stuff as well. Only when he did it, the stuff he was playing was quite harder most of the time. And that picking with the teeth thing really is no biggy. Not trying to argue with you or offend you or anything, but Jimi Hendrix was and always will be the "most over-rated" guitarist in my book. Stevie Ray kicked Hendrix's ass and played Voodoo Child twice as good.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

When S.R.V. played behind his back!!

Where Steve Vai throws his guitar up and catches it

and ofcourse when Eddie uses the drill at the beginning of Poundcake, and when he plays that awesome intro to Mean Street!!

------------------
    "Take it off, Take it off, Yeah!"

E.B.A.S

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since it wasn't specified that 1)the player must be famous, or 2)what constitutes 'cool', there is a moment I'll remember until Alzheimer's sets in or I suffer severe head trauma...

A band was playing at the good old Spotlight Lounge (Port Vue, PA, for the curious) during an open stage night my band at the time was hosting.

The guitarist in the band was about 6'8", the ceiling onstage about 6'6"...

He was doing a great job of ducking....until...

He headed too far back on stage, and much to his surprise, he CLOCKED his skull on the lighting rig. He hit with such great force that the lights started coming down. The drummer, seated directly under the lights, bailed out THROUGH his drums. As a result, he knocked the drums off the riser (my drummer wasn't thrilled at seeing his rig rolling all over the place) and one of the toms rolled into the singer's legs, knocking HIM over, and when he fell, he fell right into the bass player, knocking HIM down.

Keep in mind, this took all of 4 seconds to occur. When everyone was down on the ground (nobody was really hurt), the guitarist, cool as Arizona pavement at noon in August, went to the microphone and proceeded to chew out the drummer for being so f***ing clumsy!

This was the coolest domino toppling display I've ever seen. BTW---the song they were playing at the time?? VH's 'Black and Blue'

[This message has been edited by AbeVanHalen (edited September 21, 2000 at 09:38 PM).]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 983 Times in 396 Posts

all of stebe vai's als video is pretty damn cool...

although...the intro to meanetreet fascinates me still...where the HELL did he come up with that???!!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

jape...the boot vid is japan tv during the fire garden tour it s on ebay all the time.......dr.byrd what kind of jem do you have? if it s a multi swirl ill worship you !!!!

------------------
    eddie vanhalen , there is no substitute. member of the G4

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of the coolest things I saw was Steve Vai play harmonics with his toungue through a Fernandes sustainer pickup at the end of the For the Love of God solo on his Ultra Zone tour.
    Also the intro to Mean Street is awesome to watch and impossible to imitate

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fire an ego maniac named dave