On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will eventually get a legacy but I am saving up for one now so I have a question. right now I have a crate digital amp, I use it with a wolfgang, and use the rectifier setting on the amp with some reverb, for a crunch sound I turn down the mids a little. I want a more powerfull cruch and gain , more power. I have a dod distortion but its kinda bad. I want some more gain and umph, similar to that heavy metallica and Pantera. What pedals would help, what does a tube screamer do, or a overdrive pedal? What would work.
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For a Pantera-like crunch, humbuckers are a MUST, preferably fairly high output ones. From what I've heard of those Crates, they are fairly crunchy as is; if you need MORE, then you might want to try boosting the input signal a bit.

"How?" you say? Well, try running the distortion pedal you have with little to no distortion on it, but crank the volume. This will hit the amp input stage a little harder casuing more breakup. This is the essence of an overdrive pedal's function. If your pedal's minimum distortion is still quite distorted, then you may end up with a lot of noise and mud.

As for a Tube Screamer, well, here's a little story:

Back when my old band hosted the 'jam nite' at a local club every week, others used our equipment. I had (still have) a 5150. There was a player who came every week to play some Metallica and Pantera (same songs every week, ugh), and he hated my amp. He said it didn't have enough gain! (I laughed of course) What he meant was that it didn't have enough DISTORTION; he was used to his ADA MP-1, which he never brought with him. So, he started to drag a Tube Screamer to the shows. He plugged it into my amp, with my amp's gain on 10 (and he used active pickups!!!), and used the pedal for more 'hair'. What he got was mud. Pure mud.

An overdrive such as the Tube Screamer works well for a mildly distorted amp so that when you kick it on, you get a decent gain boost and some more crunch. When you're using a heavily distorted amp, like your Crate probably is, the OD pedal doesn't quite cut it. You might want to back off the gain on the amp a bit and use a little distortion from your pedal and see if that helps.

From what I've heard, the Legacy isn't exactly a Metallica/Pantera amp. If THAT'S the sound you're looking for, you may need to try another amp. You don't wanna end up like the guy in the above story-frustrated and annoyed. (the reality was that he hated VH and therefore hated the amp)

Anyway, after this long rant, anything you use to boost your input signal will give you more gain. My choice would be an EQ pedal, or maybe even a compressor, mostly because I'm not a distortion pedal kinda guy. Many overdrives out there have a 'clean' boost, which simply ups the output without much coloration. If you're on a budget, you can always make your own unit with Radio Shack parts and that Guitar Electronics Projects book or whatever it's called, if you don't mind a little soldering.

Hope something out of all this helps!

[ May 24, 2001 at 04:13 PM: Message edited by: AbeVanHalen ]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You could try a metel zone pedal for the sound you're looking for. I think there's a mt-2 and mt-3. I think they're made by boss, and they're pretty inexpensive as far as pedals go.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i use one with my little peavey classic. works pretty good actually. not great but it is very high gain i only have the distortion set at 11 oclock.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rick, did you get the 60 back yet?

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. with my grate there isnt much distortion so I used a distortion pedal the DOD and used it on the clean channel, the pedal is kinda muddy any way, and doesnt sound very good. When i use the pedal with the other amp models it just gets muddy and the sound starts to fade and cut off.I was trying to get that zakk wylde sound , I used my humbuckers , used the rectified setting and the built in compressor and chorus. Its close but doesnt have that chunka and power low sound. I turned down the mids and cranked the volume, it came fairly close. So would a tube screamer and an eq pedal help. if so which ones are the best. Thanks!!!!!!!!
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tribb:
    Rick, did you get the 60 back yet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    this friday(june 1st) when i get paid. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tribb:
    You could try a metel zone pedal for the sound you're looking for. I think there's a mt-2 and mt-3. I think they're made by boss, and they're pretty inexpensive as far as pedals go.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotta agree with you there tribb - I have the MT-2 and it does a FANTASTIC job of replicating Metallica. One thing though, don't expect it to do much else... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The amount of distortion in those things is astronomical! With the distortion set at 12 o'clock it pumps out probably more distortion than any amp on the market!

another Pedal that is AWESOME and will give you a lot more versatility is the sansamp range. You can get Metallica tones out of it EASILY and you get clean and semi distortions too
    RD<br /><br />"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)<br /><br />"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)