Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    Hey everyone. This may be a rather arcane subject as I have yet to find anyone who actually owns either a Steinberger Spirit or an orginal. But strictly speaking of NEW guitars, what is the difference between the two? Being that Ed Roman's site is one of the most blowhearted attempts at sales that I have ever seen, I am dubious about any information that I get there. Anyway, does anyone own either of these or have ANY kind of experience with them? Also, does anyone have adequate enough experience with both to do a decent comparison? Thanks all!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a spirit.

It sucks.

[img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Steinberger models you're refering to are the GL2, GL4, and GL7.
    A friend of mine owns a GL4 which he's allowed me to use for a few gigs in the past, and I've played a few spirits at the music store, which are pretty good to play when set up right.
    While the spirit looks like them, and it's not a bad little guitar for the small amount of money it costs, it's so far away from the real thing in quality and playability, it's not really even fair to compare them.
    The spirit is a decent guitar for the money though. You just have to keep in mind what you're comparing it to.
    Once you get past the fact that there's no headstock, the original steinberger GL's are probably one of the most amazing guitars around.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    Trib, do you think the G7's are worth the price? I can't believe that one of those things would really be worth $16-1700....but, what do you think?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Spirit.

It was like $300 bucks and some change and worth every penny. It doesn't go outta tune, it was setup quite well when I received it, and it looks cool.......

I scored the Spirit because I wanted a guitar I could treat as a travel guitar. Throw it in the trunk like it's a 2x4!!!!!!!!! Let my kid drag it around the house.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Spirit GU-7R. Probably one of the best Korean made guitars I've owned or played. It's not really fair to compare them to any Steinberger GM or GL with a T or an S in the model number, because those have either a Transtrem or ans S-trem. All the Spirits have the R-Trem which acts more like a Floyd Rose than a Trans or S-Trem. The GR would be the closest real Steinie to compare it to but there are still a lot of differences. But the Spirit's blow away most other guitars in their price range. I have the GU-7R and its a beatiful guitar that plays and sounds great after a good setup and a few tweaks.

For you other Spirit owners I did something that really improved the tuning and resonance of the guitar. I two small blocks of maple cut and glued them in on each end of the cavity right up under the trem at the back of the guitar. The trem now rests on the two maple blocks which only allows lowering of the pitch but it stays in tune much better and the trem being in constant contact with the body increased the resonance and sustain slightly.(enough to notice a little difference).

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, Reckless Fable, they go used for about 14-1800., but the G7 is right at the top of the list.
    When new they sold for about 3000.
    There are alot of guitars that sell for high dollars, just based on the fact that someone famous used it, but the G series instrument don't fit into that category. They're amazing guitars.
    Although the spirits are not in their league quality wise, they are a good playing and pretty tough guitar as the other guys have said.
    LarryJ, that little trem block is a good idea for any floyd and will improve the sound quality to some extent in any guitar.
    Any hardwood works well.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.05.08 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Steinberger name and design were bought by Gibson back in the 80s, and it wasn't long before US Steinberger production ceased.

The Spirits are authorized models, made in Korea (from crappy wood dipped in paint, as opposed to the original graphite, an almost indestructable composite material.) These cheap Gibson/korean-made Steinberger COPY guitars are really Steinbergers in name only, when compared with the original graphite models.

Composite construction is much more expensive than woodworking, and real(active) EMGs cost 3 or 4 times what the Selects and HZ models cost, so basically Gibson pulled a fast one, using the Steinberger reputation to sell their cheap Korean imitations. It did a lot of damage to the Steinberger reputation, and many people dismiss them as trash now.

Fortunately, after my disappointing purchase of a Gibson GL Spirit, I searched for and finally found an INCREDIBLE luthier in Denver Colorado who was willng to custom build an "Oar" for me, using a graphite neck manufactured by Mosesgraphite, a company affiliated with Ned Steinberger himself.

I'm pleased to report that my amazing luthier Paul Morley, owner of Fretsong Guitars, did a FANTASTIC job - his craftmanship surpasses even the FINEST quality guitars I've ever had the pleasure of playing, at a most reasonable cost.

Paul is now in the process of making another Fretsong guitar for me, this time a solid walnut body, with a shortscale graphite neck with some killer MOP inlays and EMG active PUs. This will be my 3rd custom built headless guitar from Fretsong Guitars, but it won't be my last! The graphite necks make so much difference, but combined with Paul Morley's intricate skill and attention to detail, fretsong Guitars are TRUE MASTERPIECES, in every sense of the word.

Btw, Paul Morley plays smokin' hot lead guitar too, you can hear a clip on his website, www.fretsong.com. The photo gallery on his site is Awesome. ( if you scroll down, you can see my very first Fretsong guitar - it's the curly blonde maple Oar with mahogany back and abalone knobs, 4th row from the bottom.)

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 729 Times in 293 Posts

I own an "actual" Steinberger M series "strat type body" with a Trans-Trem. Got it back in 1989.

Great guitar, but I rarely play it now, as it's worth quite a bit, and I had to have the Trans-Trem re-built in 2000, which wasn't cheap. The neck is made of some graphite blend, and is unbreakable, and will never warp, and doesn't even have a truss rod. Not a big fan of EMG's... they sound much better recording than through an amp (to my ears).

Here is a short demo I recorded with it about 6 months ago....

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1104343&t=3520

I have never owned any of the "spirits" or whatever they sold on musicyo, so I can't comment on them... Kinda wished I had picked one up back in the day though, just to goof around with.

~Peace
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 08:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fretsong_fan View Post
    I searched for and finally found an INCREDIBLE luthier in Denver Colorado who was willng to custom build an "Oar" for me, using a graphite neck manufactured by Mosesgraphite, a company affiliated with Ned Steinberger himself.
    "Modulus Graphite"

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

A dead thread from 6 years ago was dug-up when a fresh one was just created the other day?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.05.08 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    A dead thread from 6 years ago was dug-up when a fresh one was just created the other day?
    Sorry, I'm new,,, didn't check the date! I was searching for Steinberger info, and stumbled on the site and joined just to add my 2 cents. I wanted to share my good fortune about my incredibly talented luthier, as I had trouble finding one that truly cared about his work on headless guitars.

Oh well, here's the link to Moses graphite too:

http://www.mosesgraphite.com/

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo, Hear About it Later
    Last Online

08.08.15 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I have a Hohner G2T, it's a great guitar. I think you can get basically the same guitar new (it has an updated model name, but it's basically the same thing) for around $400 new.

Also, I think the headless / small body design is pretty damn smart. All the stuff on the headstock of a guitar is basically just a waste, just stuff that makes a guitar more likely to go out of tune. The small body is nice because the guitar weighs about half as much as a normal one, so it's easy on your back. Also the whole thing is made out of plastic so it's tough as hell. The only drawback is that I think the tone suffers a bit from the plastic small body, but that's oftentimes a small price to pay.
    Any musicians near Boston / Cape Cod want to get together and play some VH? I play drums, guitar, keyboard, bass, and I sing. I want to start a VH tribute band. Contact me if interested.