Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

As some of you might know, I own a trans-black EBMM EVH guitar. It is autographed on the inside and outside of the back plate. I've been offered a unique deal. A buy wants the guitar for the color. He's offered another EBMM EVH plus some cash and I would keep the autographed back plate.

I'm waiting on some photos of the guitar he's willing to trade. I don't know about this. Trans black is somewhat rare — so maybe I should keep it. However, depending on how much cash he's talking about, I could essentially walk away from the deal with an autographed EBMM EVH and cash. . .which is more than I started with!

What would you guys do?
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

$2000, nothing less.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

What year is yours, and what year and color is the one he wants to trade you?

If your into the collector value, it makes most sense to hang onto your black one, but lets face it, all EVH's in great condition, are worth big $$, and will continue to increase.

I think it all depends on what your reason for owning one is. If it's straight collector's value then keeping yours will be best, but if you own it for it's value, and how great it plays, and sentimental reasons, then keeping it is still best, but if you own it for the sake of owning it, trade away, You'll always have the autograph, and if the unit your getting is in similar condition your getting just as good of guitar.

If it was me, and the other guys guitar was mint, I'd buy that one, and add it to me collection, but that's just me
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if keeping the black is that important, then don't do it. the autographed plate would mean more to me, so i'd say trade. extra cash on hand is always nice...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Depends how attached you are to the guitar. Did you buy it because it's an EBMM EVH, because of the finish, because it would be a collectors item? Over at guitarhanger.com, a trans black quilt EBMM EVH sold for $2500 (as did amber, blue, purple and red quilts). A pink quilt sold for $2700 and a green quilt sold for $8600!
    Personally, I like the trans black so I would keep it. But if his offer blows you away, why not? As long as you're getting an EVH, not an Axis, with a finish that you like, plus some cash; sounds like a win/win.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Japeman, what color is the one he wants to trade?
    It's true that trans black is one of the more rare colors, but one thing about the blacks is this. A large no of them faded to a grey, or a greenish grey over time because of the dye mixture used when making them, and the fact that the dye was hand rubbed into the wood, and reacted with it to change the color.
    If yours is still solid black then it's worth more than a faded one, and maybe more than he's paying, even if he wants to trade.
    Also check the neck. Is yours highly figured? That makes a difference too. Some were full of bird's eye or flame, and some were dead plain.
    I don't know how well you know the guy that wants to do the deal, but be very carefull when doing trades on this type of guitar. Get closeups of the guitar at all angles, or even better, have him send his to you so you can compare the looks and playability before you decide.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Abe, I'm really glad to see you back here bud, big mouth and all.
    I have now seen the light and am using steel wool on everything. Guitars, amps, my wife's car, my dog, even my breakfast cereal.
    Nothing says good morning like a bowl of no. oooo steel wool.
    Email me sometime so we can shoot the shit.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tribb:

It's true that trans black is one of the more rare colors, but one thing about the blacks is this. A large no of them faded to a grey, or a greenish grey over time because of the dye mixture used when making them, and the fact that the dye was hand rubbed into the wood, and reacted with it to change the color.
    <hr></blockquote>

Anyone here ever get the idea that maybe Tribb may in fact be the world's human encyclopedia on guitars? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ya know, had EBMM used a better grade of steel wool in their factory, those guitars wouldn't fade.

[img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.