On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So Hard . . .
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys ! I was wondering if some of you can play Eruption !
    I play guitar for now 9 month and I really like this song ! I play all the tapping part !
    And you guys !
    EVH: Definitely. Playing guitar was my sanctuary. It was the one place I could go to if I got fucked around by a girlfriend, or anyone else, for that matter. It still is. If there’s something I can’t deal with, I can just spend hours playing. It’s a God-given gift – I certainly don’t know where the ideas come from. They’re obviously given to you, and you have to keep your fingers moving and your mind quiet. I try my best to not think about thinking, so I can just let it flow. Because when I start thinking, forget it. <br />So....why he isn't playing guitar ? ? ?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I think you will find that most of us here play it, just like most people play Stairway To Heaven I have been playing for several years and still can't nail the picking part however, I can fake it but that's about it

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I can play the first chord, then the first two notes.

Then I'm screwed until it gets to the final tapping bit.

No matter what I do, I can't play this one. It's b*st*rd hard !

I just can't get the groove right on the pulls off/hammer ons...

"<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by ericgtr:
    I think you will find that most of us here play it, just like most people play Stairway To Heaven I have been playing for several years and still can't nail the picking part however, I can fake it but that's about it
    Hell Yea! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by mondola:

LOL! That was funny, anyways, I can play Eruption all the way through and up to speed, but not accurately, as with all VH songs, it is incredibly DIFFICULT to get the feel down and make it flow smoothly like the way Eddie plays it. I'm obviously no Eddie Van Halen, and no one but him can really make it sound like that (If you can I want to hear it), but heck it's hard to even come close sometimes. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by bcgvh:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mondola:

LOL! That was funny, anyways, I can play Eruption all the way through and up to speed, but not accurately, as with all VH songs, it is incredibly DIFFICULT to get the feel down and make it flow smoothly like the way Eddie plays it. I'm obviously no Eddie Van Halen, and no one but him can really make it sound like that (If you can I want to hear it), but heck it's hard to even come close sometimes. [img]smile.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]ya know I've noticed with Ed himself I don't think he can play it that way anymore unless he praciced it, that little passage right after the first low e dive a string letup, playing that live he never played it the same way again he played the same notes but the rythm wasn't there.
    Rol.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Ed doesn't do much of the "cross-picking" thing anymore, where it sounds as if he's tapping, or even picking multiple notes really quickly across one or two strings, but he's actually picking and hammering on/of across 3 different strings.

He did it all over 'Hot For Teacher', too.

And the intro lick to 'I'm the One'.

In fact, I read an interview where he admitted that while getting ready for the III tour, Gary told him he'd like to bring back 'I'm The One', and Eddie said, "....uh....well....I don't play like that anymore, but we'll see...."

He said it took him a week of practicing to get that lick up to speed.

I read that, and laughed my ass off, and practically yelled out loud, "Serves you RIGHT! For coming up with such a bitchin', brilliant, yet short lick!!! Jerk!"

Seriously, even that goofy-ass lick he did at the end of the 'When It's Love' solo.....have you guys actually studied that? It's easy as hell to fake, but to play it note-for-note is kinda obnoxious, because it's not "natural".

I *HAD* to use "filler notes" all the time in his old material, because his amp didn't have as much natural compression and sustain as the 5150. It sounds to me like he's gotten lazy.

Like that solo for 'Fire in the Hole'. I read somewhere where the critic was raving about it. I just thought, "man, that sounds like Eddie is a cripple...he can pick better than that".

Ah, well.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

"They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by mondola:

Then I'm screwed until it gets to the final tapping bit.

No matter what I do, I can't play this one. It's b*st*rd hard !

I just can't get the groove right on the pulls off/hammer ons...

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned but Curt Mitchell has some decent Van Halen method video/dvd's out. The tab "booklet" that comes with is a joke though. I watched Curt's Eruption lessons and followed my WB Van Halen I&II book and I was doing it up to speed and pretty accurate within a couple of weeks. Alot of people have told me these videos suck, but when I can see someone play up close, at full speed and then slowed down, it helps me learn easier. Highly recommended...with the WB books of course.
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I kind of took Ed's advice and went for the vibe thing instead straight copying. I'm too damned lazy to bust my balls learning someone elses solos note for note.

I used to take the lines that I particularly liked and I'd study those till I nailed them because they all involved something I couldn't do, so I could justify the time spent.

I haven't played VH in so long I'd bet I'd have trouble just getting through some of the tunes I used to know.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

05.01.13 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Being in A VH tribute band, I had to learn it. I love to play it because it blows people away!

I have a question that I've always wondered about, I read an interview with Eddie where he said he made a mistake in Eruption and he always cringes when he heres it. Does anyone know where the mistake is in the passage (song)?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

DLR: 1984 Sammy: FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

DLR: So This is Love, Sammy: The Dream Is Over, Gary: That\'s Why I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i remember reading something similar about him making a mistake, all i can add to what u've said is he meade the mistake in the "top end" but that doesn't exactly pinpoint the spot! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

anyone else no any more about the fabled mistake?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

First 6
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've heard about the fabled mistake, but not sure I've actually heard it. Edward said somethin like he "got turned around at the top of it". I think he thinks he stumbled during the decending part of the tapping part. I dunno.

I can approximate Eruption, but its not identical. Edwards playing was pretty idiosynchratic.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by MOJODOJO:
    Being in A VH tribute band, I had to learn it. I love to play it because it blows people away!

I have a question that I've always wondered about, I read an interview with Eddie where he said he made a mistake in Eruption and he always cringes when he heres it. Does anyone know where the mistake is in the passage (song)?
    I believe that the mistake is in the run down. If you listen to it, he starts descending down the neck and then he makes a mistake and starts to ascend once again.

I find that I have to concentrate hard to pinpoint the spot where he starts ascending again. I know that seems stupid to say, but I get so ccaught up in the vibe of the tune that I always forget that I'm trying to listen for the mistake. However, on the times I've noticed the change, I can't see where the mistake is, it all sounds natural to me.

But then again, it's all down to self criticism. At the end of the day, you're the only one who knew how you intended to play your own stuff. Everyone else will think that it was intentional.

"<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

The Kurt Mitchell videos helped me get a grip on the "older" licks, which didn't really follow any "logic" that I'd known of before then.

Things like the opening lick to "I'm The One", playing really quickly using only a blues scale, licks with screwy picking patterns, like "Ice Cream Man", etc. etc.

Otherwise, everything else has pretty much been discussed here, or can be figured out by watching Live Without a Net.

And only a hardcore VH fan is going to know if you're just "meandering" up & down a scale, as opposed to using Ed's goofy picking patterns.

Like the outro lick on the solo to "When It's Love".

That is a flat-out goofy way to pick a flurry of notes. The way I fake it is by using another one of Ed's licks, and finishing with the bend, but truly, none of my friends (nor anyone else)would give a rip if I just tapped it.

Same thing with the Ice Cream Man lick.

In other words, the Mitchell videos really earn their keep when it comes to nailing some of the trickier (or just mysterious) licks note-for-note.

It's also cool to see someone who is as into VH as we are.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Majestic:
    The Kurt Mitchell videos helped me get a grip on the "older" licks, which didn't really follow any "logic" that I'd known of before then.

Things like the opening lick to "I'm The One", playing really quickly using only a blues scale, licks with screwy picking patterns, like "Ice Cream Man", etc. etc.

Otherwise, everything else has pretty much been discussed here, or can be figured out by watching Live Without a Net.

And only a hardcore VH fan is going to know if you're just "meandering" up & down a scale, as opposed to using Ed's goofy picking patterns.

Like the outro lick on the solo to "When It's Love".

That is a flat-out goofy way to pick a flurry of notes. The way I fake it is by using another one of Ed's licks, and finishing with the bend, but truly, none of my friends (nor anyone else)would give a rip if I just tapped it.

Same thing with the Ice Cream Man lick.

In other words, the Mitchell videos really earn their keep when it comes to nailing some of the trickier (or just mysterious) licks note-for-note.

It's also cool to see someone who is as into VH as we are.
    it's also cool to watch the effects on Curt trying to think and speak after of a few lines of coke and a shot of Jack [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    Rol.