Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi,
    im trying to decide which of the 2 above guitars would be better to buy as i cant afford both.

either a 5150 kramer replica or a wolfgang.

can you guys give me some advice, good/bad points and aspects of both etc??

i was looking at that guy rols site and thought they were awesome, but they are in the same price bracket as a wolfgang....

anyway please help me make this hard decision.

thanks

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i like the sound on eddies wolfgang on the balance tour when he did eruption (i say it on a video), i like kramers too, eddies tone on that is great too. hard to say, but i would get the kramer replica.
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First ask yourself how much you're prepared to spend. Be honest with yourself. You can't buy champagne with beer money.
    Once you've established that, then contact Rols, and ask him about his 5150's replicas. Remeber, they're handmade, hand detailed, and made using top quality parts. As well, he might give you some options on detailing, body wood, etc. I'm just guessing on that point, as I don't know Rols, or what his options to buyers would be. I have been checking more thoroughly though, and if you're gonna get a replica he's the man to speak to first.
    I'm sure Rols assembles and tests each one out before it leaves, so when you get it there are no parts missing or cracked. That's one of the great things about working with a builder one on one.
    I'm sure he would be glad to give you any details on neck size, frets, etc., before you order, but you'd have to contact him.
    A wolf is an assembly line instrument, and since each one sounds very different it's hard to say whether you'd be happy with it or not. I'm assuming you've tried wolfs before.
    As far as resale down the road, because of the quality of Rols instruments, I personally believe that if you ever decided to sell it, you could use his name as a selling point and you'd get back what you paid for it, at the very least.
    You can't really say that about a wolf. They're certainly not going up in value. They're not a bad guitar, but there's tons of them out there, and given the choice I'd always go with something handmade.
    Because the 5150 replica is a very specific looking instrument you'd probably want to hang onto one that was well made and well detailed.
    If you wind up playing in a club you might not want to bring a guitar all striped up like Ed's if you're doing different types of music. A wolf has more versatility that way.
    You might decide in time that you don't want to play a guitar that looks just like one of Ed's originals, in which case you'll never have a problem finding a wolf. If it's a matter of having a collector's peice then a "well made" 5150 replica will probably be more valuable down the road.

[ January 27, 2002 at 02:37 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

I think it really depends on how you are going to use it. If you intend to play out with the guitar or play in a band situation, you would look really silly playing a striped Ed replica Kramer, unless of course you are playing in a VH tribute band, where it's expected. So definitely don't buy a replica if you're playing in a band that ISN'T covering VH music, it just looks really lame. (No offense if you do that, just my dumb opinion [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Now if you're just gonna play in your house, that's a whole other issue. Personally for me, if I intended to play the crap out of the guitar, even just at home, I'd get the Wolfie, save the VH replica for show and just a plink once in a while. My opinion anyway.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!