Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

As you probably can tell, this is my first post on the guitar forum and I know absolutely nothing about guitars. Just thought I'd say hello to the guitar geeks out there

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

[This message has been edited by Spanish Doctor (edited June 22, 2000 at 06:15 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whatever kind of guitar those guys in Iron Maiden play are best axes on the market. LOL

Seriously, it's all up to the player. That's like saying who's hotter, a blonde or Red Head. My votes for the Red, but...... Same thing with guitars

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to choose from...
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Absoultley not IMHO. I truly believe that the wolfgangs are the best guitars on the market today. And the Wolfgang special is by far the best value guitar wise on the market today!

------------------
    Ian Anderson
    Guitar Room Moderator
    VHLinks.com

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No!! Wolfgangs all the way. The standard is the best guitar, and like Ian said the Special is the best deal!! The Special is an awesome guitar! I got one! I'm saving up for a standard (hopefully they'll put out a striped editon because I'll get it)

------------------
    Nick " Changed, Nothin' Stays The Same"

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd take a PRS over anything on the market. They are more comfy for my hands and body than Wolfgangs. But the Wolf special IS good value. For the same amount I think you can get one of the lower end Les Pauls, but I think the Wolfgang is better.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man, I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but I've got a big mouth so here goes.
    I've got 4 EBMM EVH's but still would rather play my wolf standard. The EVH's are much more collectable and I use them in the band,
    but for sound and feel I'll always pick the wolf. That's the one I always use at home. The thing is, I tried specials for a long time and refused to buy a wolfgang because of the way the speacials sounded and played. I just thought they sucked. Then I came across an early sunburst quilt standard, and I fell in love. It belonged to a session player who endorsed peavey and switched to carvin. I bugged him to sell me the guitar, and he finally did. I just picked up an early purple quilt top standard on monday, and it plays just as well, and sounds even better. It just rings. I went back into a music store here this morning to show the salesman my purple, and try a couple of specials again. Same result. I don't like the sound or the feel of the special. I don't know why. I know they're basically the same with some differences, but I just can't get into them, and if peavey only puts out striped speacials I'm afraid I won't be a customer. Of course if they put a maple top on them that might change things. I've got a fender custom shop strat, but only pick it up rarely, cause my wolf does it all.
    Same with PRS guitars. I think they're way over rated. I've tried a no. of diff. models and you're welcome to them.
    As good as the EBMM EVH is, I think it's rarity makes it valuable. It has one basic sound, and while it does that very well, there's nothing an EVH will do that a wolf won't. I can tell you that from experience.
    Also the wolf has a more solid feel to it, and a more comfortable neck. I've also played shitloads of les pauls, and they can't touch a good wolfgang.
    If you can afford the few extra bucks for the standard over the special go for it.

[This message has been edited by tribb (edited June 22, 2000 at 09:30 PM).]

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Alright, there are four styles of solidbody electrics to be concerned with. Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, and "Super Strats." Anything else is basically a descendant of any of these. Actually, the super strat could be considered a hybrid of a Les Paul and Strat. As for Brands of guitars. . . you guys are cheating yourself if you don't check out Tom Andersons, John Suhr guitars, and James Tyler guitars. These guys make the BEST stuff out there (especially in the super strat division!). Above all, play lots of guitars and buy the one that you feel a connection with. . .that will be the "best" guitar. And if anyone thinks a Strat is a Strat. . .I challenge you to play a 1990s American Standard and then pick up a 1960 vintage Strat. . .there really is NO comparison. The vintage guitar will have serious vibe and tone.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.29.15 @ 06:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tom Anderson;John Suhr;Tom Anderson;John Suhr;Tom Anderson;John Suhr;Tom Anderson;John Suhr;Tom Anderson;John Suhr:

I also think that Tom Anderson and John Suhr guitars are also the best.

------------------
    "I Got Myself a Brand New Oakland Scarf right here I say"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've owned several Fenders, both Strats and Teles, and I love the hell out of them. Are they the best guitars out? Well it depends on what you're looking for. If you want to do some clean chicken pickin' there isn't a guitar out that will do that better than a Tele. If you want the STANDARD for blues players, get you a Strat. See most guitars on the market try to emulate either the Gibson sound, the Fender sound, or both. That's just the way it is, and the way it has been since day one. My mindset is totally different than most when it comes to guitars in that I love many different types of guitars because each one has it's own personality. There is no cut and dry answer to your question unfortunately. If you asked Stevie Ray Vaughn what the best axe on the market was, he would have told you Fender Stratocaster, if you asked Jimmy Page he would say Gibson Les Paul. It's depends so much on the individual that what might be the perfect axe for you, might not be for me. I wish I had a dollar for every conversation that I've had with wife about this. She just can't understand why I need a new guitar when I already have 6. Oh well, I guess that's just part of it.

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

EUAS Co-Founder

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!"....David Lee Roth

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.22.10 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The fenders are quite versatile talking about the stratos ! ... Btw , the fender of the 90s are quite shit , i mean the standard and not the custom ones !
    The best Fenders as quality wood cames from the 70s and 80s ! ... i got my one , and it rocks !

------------------
    Eddie_italian from Italy

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I think it really depends. If your buying brand new off the rack, I'd say any of the high end fender, or PRS are up near the top.

It hasn't always been like that though, back in the late 80s early 90s you couldn't give me a fender or a gibson, they were shit. Maybe 1 in every 20 I played was good then. I ended up buying a Robin and gutting it. Today that guitar still kicks ass.

Now if your looking at pre-1980 stuff, I'd say (personally) the Les Paul was arguably the best built/sounding guitar, and fender was right up there. My buddy has a 70s Paul and that is by far the best sounding guitar I've ever heard/played.

As for as the Wolfies go the Standard is quite nice, but way overpriced. It plays and sounds great. The specials IMO are junk, (sorry). To me they feel cheap and are not comfy to play. The attention to detail is not there. Any guitar that's priced over 1K should be great, the ones I've played have sloppily bounded fretts, and they sound just alright.

I've heard the EB Axis is an exact copy of Eds EB so that might be worth checking out

------------------
    Guitar Room player files http://www.freedrive.com/
    UN: vhlinks
    PW: vhlinks

Baluchitherium

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Actually, Eddie Italian, the Fenders from the 70 are not too desirable as far as wood/tone is concerned. The more "toneful" strats are the ones from the 60s and 50s. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't a few good "tony" strats from the 70s and 80s. . .but most players and collectors will tell you that the 50s and 60s are the Strats to have. Having said that, I own a '79 Strat and it sounds pretty good. All guitars are not created equal!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eddie, I own a custom shop strat with an alder body, and it sounds "exactly" like a vintage strat. I had a 74 strat that I couldn't give away, it sounded like crap.
    On the other hand I once had a 66 strat that I'm still kicking myself for selling. My custom strat does sound just like it though. That's the sound I was aiming for when I had it made, and they nailed it.
    Unfortunetly the EB Axis isn't even close to feeling like an EVH. At least not the one I owned or the ones I played. The quality has gone right down the toilet since they stopped the EVH's. Ed's not looking over their shoulders anymore.
    Not lookin to step on any toes, just being honest.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.22.10 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey friends ! ... Thanx for the advice ... I feel like a stupid in front of all of you ! Btw ... that's good , in that way I'll learn soon from great teachers as all of you ! ...Ok , 50s and 60s fenders sounds good ! ... I got a strato annyversary of 1994 and sounds really good with a really cool neck ! ... I got a strato of 1998 and it's completely shit , and again shit ! ...
    Btw , what alla of ya think about the kramer of 1987-1989 ... my one is american 1989 and , guys , it sounds good ! ... What do ya think about ? YUNNNKKK ... teachers , I need teachers ... and here it's like staying in the G.I.T. ... sounds cool !!!

------------------
    Eddie_italian from Italy

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eddie, don't feel stupid. You're a cool guy, who plays very well. If you played 500 strats, I'm sure no 2 would sound the same.
    I had a Kramer Barreta that I sold to a friend. I didn't care for it, but I know others that love them. They sound a bit too thin for me. I had a Pacer Delux that did sound good though. I chopped it to shit, trying to modify it, and now it just hangs on my wall.