Thread: Refretting etc.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just wondering, if anyone has a good take on how often you should have an axe refretted, granted that it's not just sitting in your closet and usually gets a fair amount of mileage on it.

I'm no luthier, but I've had some buzz on some frets lately, mainly 2nd fret on the G, so I've been inspecting the frets in some spots, and noticing indentations in some of them. This goes for the G to the treble strings, but nothing on the E to D, I'm guessing because they're wound. Is that usually how it goes?

I've never really taken this into consideration before, and was wondering how in the fuck do you go about refretting:

-Getting the old frets out
    -Getting the old frets in
    -Is it possible to avoid sanding, and just use steel wool?

I hope I'm hallucinating, but I thought I heard something about gauging up your strings say from 40-42 to 46's, and it can bow your neck? Is that serious shit, or are we talking truss rod adjustments.

That's another thing I really don't fuck with. How often do some of you guys adjust the truss, or is it a good to go type of thing. Basically if it's cool and the fretboard feels good, fuck it?
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you move to a heavier gauge string, you'll have to reintonate, and there is more pull on the neck, but it shouldn't bow it much, if at all. After waiting a couple of days for the neck to settle, you can reset the neck if it needs it. Usually 1/4 to 1/2 turn to the right should probably do it, if you find it's bowed a bit. Once the neck's where you like it, then intonate last.
    Your frets probably just need dressing, but this isn't something that should be attempted unless you know what you're doing. Take it to a guitar tech or luthier, and let them have a look at it.
    Even people on here that can refret can't tell you about your guitar without having a look at it.
    You can really make a mess of things without the right tools and some experience at dressing or replacing frets.
    Unless it's a real beater, and you don't mind experimenting, and possibly ruining the fretboard, I wouldn't try it on your own bud.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:49 AM
    Liked 66 Times in 35 Posts

Everything Tribb said...
    Aint life grand!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recently took my Paul Reed Smith to the shop because I thought it needed a refretting. Turns out all it needed was a crowning, grind & polish an TA DAA, good as new. A good luthier will tell you if it's a waste to refret.
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

problem is finding a good luthier. ask other guitarists to see who is good and who is bad.
    slap the neck on it and go

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for paying someone for dressing, rather than refretting?

I've had those heavier gauge strings on there for a better part of a year and don't notice any bowing, I was just wondering if it could fuck shit up in time...

Granted this is no custom instrument by any means, but it has served me well, and I might make it a project guitar experimenting with different pickups once I get my wolf. So does anyone have a ball park going rate for dressing?
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Heavier strings should hurt the neck at all. If you're an aggresive player they can wear the frets a bit faster, but won't damage the neck.
    I live in Canada, so I can only tell you what it costs here, but in the US money equiv. it would be 50-75.US for a full dress.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:
    Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for paying someone for dressing, rather than refretting?
    ?
    Fret Dressing & leveling is what you need, Dressing refers more to the tang (the over hang off the fretboard)
    and it runs $75, refretting on the other hand is about $200 and I doubt you need new frets Dressed and leveled will do the trick 90% of the time and the other 10% you just buy a new neck [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    and heavier guage strings will cause more of a pull on your neck but that doesn't mean anything will change in your relief, the books say it does but books aren't out there doing it and if it does change then a 1\4 turn on the truss rod should take care of it.
    now on to another point you only need to reintonate when you need to, yes the books say going to different guages changes your intonation and it does but is it a change that you can hear?
    no, it's a change that an ociliscope will see but your ears won't hear it, are you recording? if not don't sweat it I guarentee you'll never notice
    9 times out of 10, same with changing tunings your suppose to reintonate when you do that too so everytime you pull out your D-tuner I know we all reintonate the E string right ?
    Later,
    Rol.
    www.rolsguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:
    ?
    Fret Dressing & leveling is what you need, Dressing refers more to the tang (the over hang off the fretboard)
    and it runs $75, refretting on the other hand is about $200 and I doubt you need new frets Dressed and leveled will do the trick 90% of the time and the other 10% you just buy a new neck [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    and heavier guage strings will cause more of a pull on your neck but that doesn't mean anything will change in your relief, the books say it does but books aren't out there doing it and if it does change then a 1\4 turn on the truss rod should take care of it.
    now on to another point you only need to reintonate when you need to, yes the books say going to different guages changes your intonation and it does but is it a change that you can hear?
    no, it's a change that an ociliscope will see but your ears won't hear it, are you recording? if not don't sweat it I guarentee you'll never notice
    9 times out of 10, same with changing tunings your suppose to reintonate when you do that too so everytime you pull out your D-tuner I know we all reintonate the E string right ?
    Later,
    Rol.
    www.rolsguitars.com
    </font>[/QUOTE]Being that it's a floater, I had to spend lots of time on the intonation, also adding that I had to add an extra spring. So it took quite a bit of adjusting.

Even though I love those heavier gauge strings, I'd rather have them on a fixed bridge or maybe a Strat. I just don't have the response and play I used to have with the whang bar, for obvious reasons. So I'm possibly thinking of going back to 40's or 42's...I'm sure those heavier treble strings played a good part on some fret wear in parts.

Going back to the first part of my question, was HOW OFTEN do most of you have your instruments refretted, just out of curiosity?
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't like having the frets levelled cause it lowers them, and I like big frets.
    I play pretty agressivelly, and have a refret done about every year and a half.