Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A few years back my brother bought a Marshall SL/X 100 watt head and a 300watt stereo quad.
    His living arangment didn't really suit an amp that big so He gave me the quad for my birthday! How cool!
    The thing is, the head that he ran has stopped working.
    I've plugged an ADA mp1 preamp into the effects return and off it goes but I'm not sure if this is good for the amp?
    The preamp tubes light up and while all the tubes in the amp are old, they are not blue or microphonic...any ideas?
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The ADA preamp is a good little unit and just sends a straight line signal like the head's preamp would do. The head's power amp section is apparently fine so you should be ok.
    Plugging it into the effects return is exactly the right thing to do and is a good way to run the ADA.
    It won't hurt anything.
    The preamp tubes that are glowing(in the head I ssume) isn't an indication that the tube is working. The tube could be glowing but not passing a signal.
    What you could do is buy 1 preamp tube and replace them all, 1 at a time, making sure the head is switched right off each time.
    What you might also want to try on the head is to use a short cable like the one you use for chaining effects. Patch it between the effects send and effects return on the head. Do this while the power is off and keep the volume level low when you turn it on.
    This won't harm the head at all because you're just manually completing the circuit which would normally be conected internally. Sometimes the conection breaks so there's no signal from the preamp to the power amp and bridging it with a short cord will tell you if that's the case.
    If the head works when you replace the faulty tube you're laughing. If it works when you patch it from effects send to return then it's just a small job for a tech to resolder it.
    You can even use the effects send on the head to patch the head's preamp to a different power amp if you have one, but I'd test the tubes first.
    None of the things I've described will harm you or the head.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    The ADA preamp is a good little unit and just sends a straight line signal like the head's preamp would do. The head's power amp section is apparently fine so you should be ok.
    Plugging it into the effects return is exactly the right thing to do and is a good way to run the ADA.
    It won't hurt anything.
    The preamp tubes that are glowing(in the head I ssume) isn't an indication that the tube is working. The tube could be glowing but not passing a signal.
    What you could do is buy 1 preamp tube and replace them all, 1 at a time, making sure the head is switched right off each time.
    What you might also want to try on the head is to use a short cable like the one you use for chaining effects. Patch it between the effects send and effects return on the head. Do this while the power is off and keep the volume level low when you turn it on.
    This won't harm the head at all because you're just manually completing the circuit which would normally be conected internally. Sometimes the conection breaks so there's no signal from the preamp to the power amp and bridging it with a short cord will tell you if that's the case.
    If the head works when you replace the faulty tube you're laughing. If it works when you patch it from effects send to return then it's just a small job for a tech to resolder it.
    You can even use the effects send on the head to patch the head's preamp to a different power amp if you have one, but I'd test the tubes first.
    None of the things I've described will harm you or the head.
    Thanks tribb!
    That's a couple of times you've helped me out here, and I appreciate it muchly!
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently