On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, after much waiting I bought a second-hand Line 6 Flextone II XL 2x12 100 Watt combo yesterday.
    It came with optional pedalboard with volume, wah, and many more features. I was able to get it for 700, and I would have to shell out a little over a grand to get all this from a store.
    I pretty pleased with the deal, and even more pleased with the tone and the power of this setup.

Thanks for reading this “brag fest”—I'll go back to making noise now...
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Hey, cool purchase man, plus a very good deal from what it sounds when you throw in the floor pedal.

How about a review, I was considering buying one of the "Spider's" but I couldnt stand any of the distortion sounds, I thought they were completely useless.

I heard good things about the Flextone's though, just wondering about the gain setting's , do that have enough juice to pull off false harmonics and such?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

With the correct technique, you can do false/pinch harmonics on an unplugged nylon string guitar. Gain really has nothing to do with it.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also have a Flextone II XL and the floorboard. I Love this amp! I play in a coverband and we do early VH stuff like I'm the One, Somebody get me a doctor, Light up the Sky and Unchained and also stuff like Panama and Poundcake. On top of that we do some Rush, Queen, Aerosmith, Journey, etc... Once you get to know the amp well, there is no sound you can't get close to replicating. Also, the XLR's are killer for recording or going direct live.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by AceVH:
    I also have a Flextone II XL and the floorboard. I Love this amp! I play in a coverband and we do early VH stuff like I'm the One, Somebody get me a doctor, Light up the Sky and Unchained and also stuff like Panama and Poundcake. On top of that we do some Rush, Queen, Aerosmith, Journey, etc... Once you get to know the amp well, there is no sound you can't get close to replicating. Also, the XLR's are killer for recording or going direct live.
    There's tons of drive for your harmonics to ring, but as it was said, technique will get them “pings” going anytime.
    Speaking of which, Zakk Wylde gave a lessons on how to get it done right and sound wicked in the November issue of Guitar World, p 136.

Ace VH, I already own a Line 6 POD that I have been using to practice and record so I'm familiar with the system's tone capabilities. I just wanted to feel a lot of air moving in the room when I play.

Ace, would you care to share Flextone sound settings for your Early VH sound? I've been having problems getting it right even with the POD.

Thanks in advance!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Canyon Carver, I would be glad to share my tones. I am currently at work, and my amp is at my rehearsal space, so if you give me a couple of days, I will post a url for you to grab my patches.

Have you checked out the POD XT? If not go to the Line 6 website and check out the tone sample named Eruption. They have come very close to nailing the Van Halen I guitar sound.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ace!

I have downloaded the Eruption sample and it's scary accurate!

I also tried the Line 6 Vetta amp, which carries all of the POD XT's tones in a combo version.
    The Vetta was out of my league price wise, but I would recommend anyone to save 400 bucks for a POD XT. There are so many tonal combinations and killer factory presets in this machine that they will never go to sleep ever again—Guaranteed!
    Thanks for info, I'll sit tight and wait for your patches.

CC

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Speaking from personal experience, I can make any guitar, electric or acoustic, scream a pinch harmonic ala Eddie.

If you're having issues with it, one potential obstacle *could* be your pickup, which may not have enough output, or may not have properly adjusted height.

If you'll recall my old "pickup height" issues with my second Axis (an Axis Super Sport), I couldn't get the thing to squeal on a consistent basis through my amp, even though unplugged, I could hear myself just fine.

Without going through the whole story again, the bottom line is that I adjusted the pickup height, and now it sounds almost identical to my regular Axis (I suspect they're made of different woods, so they can't sound spot-on identical).

I use fairly low gain, so adjusting the pickup was a must. Turning up the gain just gave me more raspiness, in spite of the increased sustain.

Bottom line, check your technique, or check your pickup's specs or height. Any amp simulator with a preset that is even *remotely* Eddie-fied will have enough gain to pull off pinch harminics.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

*hmmm*

i tried one of those pod things, and they the most horrid things on this planet.

terrible tone.

hard to beat a real nice clean tone from a good ol' tube am.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The pinch harmonics are definitely in the technique first but it helps when the amp responds well to your technique in pinch harmonics as well as every other of your techniques. I think they become more fluent with an amp with high harmonic content in the gain more than just gain it self. The Soldano's, 5150, Rectifiers have that massive preamp section with tons of harmonic content crammed in it and any kind of harmonics jump at a little easier in those amps. But on the other hand I hear a lot of harmonic content in my old Marshall as well, but its a little more rewarding to good technique. The Marshall has considerably less gain than the 5-6 preamp tube monsters but the harmonic content is about even, which is why I think it goes a bit farther than just gain.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Pinch harmonics are all about how you hold your pick, & where you pick the note (the sweet spot). yes I can play these notes on a nylon string as well as a friggen Banjo.
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jape Man:
    With the correct technique, you can do false/pinch harmonics on an unplugged nylon string guitar. Gain really has nothing to do with it.
    The right gain and tone makes it easier though - you can't deny that.

I do agree that more gain doesn't necessarily mean easier false harmonics though. I can hit harmonics much easier on my Laney LC15R than my Carvin MTS and the Laney has nowhere near the gain of the MTS.
    RD<br /><br />"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)<br /><br />"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)