Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wasn't one of the main reasons Ed left Kramer was that he found out that the guitars were being made over seas ? yes I know he thought they were all being made at the plant in Neptune but I swear he wasn't happy with the fact of overseas
    stuff ?? now he endorses a cheap OLP type (well not that cheap) Guitar?? he is one of *the* quirkiest endorsers there is, and lets face it yes the Focus Kramer and such were junk but the Baretta (the one he was most associated with) was still a very good guitar.
    am I wrong here?
    Rol.
    www.rolsguitars.com
    man I just love my avatar

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, is that strange or what?
    Then when he designed the EBMM EVH he talked about how amazing the quality was, and then left, supposedly cause they weren't crankin them out fast enough. Remember the catch phrase, "I endorsed those other guitars. I designed this one, big difference."

Now, like you say, he's not only endorsing, but selling the Korean made wolf under his own license.
    There's probably at least 30,000 or more US made wolfgangs out there now, which are selling for less on ebay, than the new "international" model.
    According to WhiteBoy, who was at the NAMM show, and who's word I believe, nothing's come out that's new or noteworthy on the Wolfgang. It remains to be seen what Ed's going to be endorsing in the near future, but I don't understand why he's putting out an overseas(Korean) model for this kind of money, when he was so set against it originally. I guess times are changing.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

06.05.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Rol,

long time no speak.

I tend to agree with you about Ed. I don't quite understand it. For the past 10 years, he has been very particular about only putting his name on stuff that he claims he would use on stage. I know of the rumors...that he played unaltered EBMM's but when he moved to peavey, his wolfs were, well, special...

Regardless, I wouldn't imagine he would put his name on junk...My first thought was that Hartley Peavey arm wrestled EVH into releasing a very cheap version of the wolf, so that they could compete with Music Man's OLP.....However, from my readings of how Eddie acts in the MI arena...I wouldn't think this was Hartley's idea alone.

I dunno.....I'll tell ya, I think things in Cabesa de Eddie are a little strange these days. I mean, 3 full years of silence, crappy guitar copies, more spin control than the white house....

I'll tell you this...at this stage, I'd be happier buying a musicyo kramer than an overseas wolf with a laquered neck.

my $0.02...

-Frank

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

You know it seems to me that around the FUCK era, VH turned into a money making business. They'd only tour to predicable well selling markets, tee-shirts and other concert goodies got expensive, the RHRN vid was produced out the wazoo to move units. All this is part of making money in music, but I really started getting irked when Ed left EBMM.
    I know that there's a lot of guys who love em, and that's cool, but I think the Wolf's are shit. The EVH MM was a special unit. Handmade, consistant, a workhorse. I've played quite a few wolfs and every one of them plays like a different guitar. The workmanship is less than great, the wood, and neck quality aren't so hot, but guess what, they can produce a ton of them. Slap Ed's name on them and you have a $2000 boat ore. Some of the early ones were nice, but I haven't been impressed with one in a long time. It just seems to me that it made fiscal sense for Ed to move to a company that would/could produce a truckload of units. What pisses me off to no end is the statement I've read from him (more then once) that he didn't care how many EVH MMs they sold, just as long as they maintaned the quality, HA!!
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes Eddie did mention that He did not know that some of the Kramers were being made overseas but that was not why he was upset. He was upset because Kramer lied about it. Peavey is not lying about anything, They are making a clear distinction between the USA version and the import version..... EVERY guitar manufactures does this type of thing... All of them so why are you coming down on Ed?

Let's suppose it was you who had the endorsement and Harltey came to you and said. He, "We have a chance to make a really nice guitar over seas and sell it for a good price" What would you say? .... If you are in the business to sell guitars. Then you would say, great, selling guitars is what you do... That is the whole point, If the end result is a nice guitar then what's the problem? Who cares where they are made? and who cares about comments that the guy made 10 years ago...

The guy is a musician AND a business man, Business men are in business to make money... There is nothing wrong with EVH making money selling guitars. As long as there are no slaves making guitars and as long as the guitars are worth the price than I defend Ed's right to make a living outside of his music.
    The wisdom of the links crew..."Eddie VH has no right to make a living selling guitars." "I'm sick of his bullshit" "He's a sell out". On the other hand Rolsguitars has every right to make a living on the Eddie Van Halen name and Pay Eddie nothing...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I agree bro, but you need to start with a "nice" guitar.

Wolfs aren't 1/4 the guitar the EVH MM were IMO. Some guys love the Wolf, but the quality of them isn't even in the same ballpark as the EVH MM.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by homeunit:
    I think the Wolf's are shit. The EVH MM was a special unit. Handmade, consistant, a workhorse. I've played quite a few wolfs and every one of them plays like a different guitar. The workmanship is less than great, the wood, and neck quality aren't so hot, but guess what, they can produce a ton of them. Slap Ed's name on them and you have a $2000 boat ore. Some of the early ones were nice, but I haven't been impressed with one in a long time. It just seems to me that it made fiscal sense for Ed to move to a company that would/could produce a truckload of units. What pisses me off to no end is the statement I've read from him (more then once) that he didn't care how many EVH MMs they sold, just as long as they maintaned the quality, HA!!
    What makes you think the Musicman is hand made? You don't think they use a CNC machine to cut the bodies and necks? You don't think they use routers and drills presses and power tools and buffers and on and on.... they are not "handmade"

Your call on the wolfgang is a cheap shot, If you don't like it that's' fine and the $2000 list price is ridicules but It is not fair to come down on the quality of wood? The fact is without stripping the paint you don't have a clue what the wood looks like. and to suggest that some of the "early" wolfgangs are nice and the later ones are not is simply absurd, They are all the exact same. Same CMC machine made the neck and body. Nothing's changed, I agree that the EB/MM is nicer but the wolfgang has been around for a while now and the verdict is in... It's a damn nice guitar....

And I still don't know why people give Ed a hard time for making and selling a bunch of guitars? Why is it a bad thing that Peavey makes 20,000 guitars a year? Why is it bad for Eddie to sell lots of guitars? why is it a bad thing to be in business to make money? He's not in it to lose money?
    The wisdom of the links crew..."Eddie VH has no right to make a living selling guitars." "I'm sick of his bullshit" "He's a sell out". On the other hand Rolsguitars has every right to make a living on the Eddie Van Halen name and Pay Eddie nothing...

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't take offence, It reads differently then I intended.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

no offence takin bro [img]smile.gif[/img]

The MM products are hand assembled, not handmade in the sense of some meatball sitting there with a tree and a sanding block. With a production limit of 1000 a year, you have to think that the on the quality measure the wolfgang is not even in the same league.

My problem with the wolfs are they are not consistent sounding at all. Every one I've ever tried always sounds different. The very first one I tried was great, I didn't care for it, but it sounded great. The cosmetics of that very guitar were shit. Sharp frets, sloppy binding, loose switch, and a neck that was so white is was almost blue. The Floyd was stiff.....

Every other wolf I've played has been a disappointment in the quality department. It is fair to come down on the quality of the wood. Basswood is cheap, so you'd think that they would have taken the time to make sure that woods used all sound similar. They don't. Musicman has a lot of products that I don't care for, but every unit I've played has been solid, and performed better then any other off the rack guitar. The quality is there, and with the EVH's it worked for a great combo.

You like the wolfs, so do a lot of other guys, that's cool. I have no problem with Ed selling as many guitars as he can slap his name on. I couldn't care a less. My whole issue with the Wolf is quality. Other than that, I can go on about what I don't like about them but that's all personal preference.

I do think that it did make good finical sense for Ed to go with peavey, but IMO it's like going from a Ferrari to a VW.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I paid $1279.03 for my Wofie......isn't that the going rate for one.....or are people paying almost retail for a Wolfie.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by jimmy:
    I paid $1279.03 for my Wofie......isn't that the going rate for one.....or are people paying almost retail for a Wolfie.
    $2000 Canadian bucks
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by homeunit:
    no offence takin bro [img]smile.gif[/img]

The MM products are hand assembled, not handmade in the sense of some meatball sitting there with a tree and a sanding block. With a production limit of 1000 a year, you have to think that the on the quality measure the wolfgang is not even in the same league
    Yea, But you don't think that is simply a production limitation? If they had they ability and man power to make and sell 5,000 Axis's a year, You don't think they would be doing it?

I owned an Axis Sport and it was top shelf all the way, Better in terms of materials and build Quality than the Wolfgang BUT, That does not mean the wolfgang is not a good guitar,
    I've owned three wolfgangs and Have never had any of the problems you have,, The binding is near perfect on all of them, The frets are well finished,, They Only real issue I take with the Wolfgang is the fact that you can pick out the seams of the body on the back of the guitar, You can see them through the paint, and on the special you can see them on the front as well, That sucks and I think in a $2000 guitar it is sad but again, I bought all of my wolfgang used for way under $1000, so I,m a happy camper.

As for the wood, Do have any idea how many trees it takes to make a few thousand guitar? How would Peavey make sure all the wood was the same? It is impossible. You have trees that are 100 years old and ones that are 50 years old and ones that are 300 years old, They are all going to have different moisture content, All have different densities but this is true with every guitar manufacturer not just Peavey, You have to take what nature gives you.
    In the end I'm not a real stickler on wood effecting the tone to any great degree, Iv had cheap Squires that sounded good and even an old BC rich that sounded great, I didn't know until I changed the neck the thing was made of plywood, Still sounded great thought.

I loved my Axis, The only reason I sold it was the neck was a little to narrow for my hands. My only point was The wolfgang has been out for what 6-7 years? IT has a proven track record. all the wolfgangs out there are still in one piece. Everything about my wolfgangs have stood the test of time... Is built very well, it's finished fairly well, It stays in tune, It sounds fantastic... What else makes a good guitar?
    So it's not your cup of tea, That's Cool, and EB/MM makes a better guitar, That's Cool too.

Cheap shitty guitars get a reputation for being cheap and shitty, The wolfgang does not have the reputation. thousands of players can't be wrong.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you look at your wolf you'll also notice that there's a nice dark line running down each side of the fretboard where they glued it on. Check the side of a neck on an EBMM EVH.
    I was gonna stay out of this till you said that wood doesn't play much of a part in a guitar's tone.
    I've had 6 wolfs, and 14 EBMM EVH's, as well as shitloads of other guitars that I've butchered over the years. They're(wolfs and MM's) all basswood bodies, yet every single wolf felt, and played differently, depending on who was doing the final sanding on the neck that day. The 6 I bought were the ones that felt the best, all used early models. Even though they had the same identical parts, every one of those wolfs sounded very different. You think the wood could have had anything to do with that? Of course not.
    The neck on every EVH I had felt "exactly" the same. Why is that? Quality control. They weren't cranked out like popsicle sticks. Of course machines cut the bodies and necks, but check out the stats on the machine that EBMM used to cut the necks. It was a much slower and more carefully laid out process to make those guitars. They didn't start one and then after 15 or 20 minutes go read in the bathroom so it would take longer. There was more control to make them consistent. They're not nearly as large as Peavey, which is what Ed wanted, and as a result each guitar had more hand intensive labour put into it to make it a top quality instrument.
    Every single one of my EVH's felt the same and sounded almost identical. Some sounded a little more nasal than others, but the tones were extremely consistent, and nowhere near as different as one wolf from another.
    I have a friend in Texas who had an ivory wolf a few years back, that was probably one of the best sounding guitars I've ever heard period. It was amazing. To this day I've never heard a wolf sound like that. Even with the graphite rods in it the neck on that guitar twisted. Peavey was good, and asked him to send it back for repair, which he did.
    When he got it back he found that they had simply slapped a new neck on instead of repairing the old one, which he specifically asked them to do.
    When he plugged it in, it sounded like absolute shit, higher in tone, and more distorted without the bottom end and fatness it had before. He phoned them to try to get the old neck back so he could have it repaired but was told they has junked it and there was no way to find it. He was disgusted with it, and just sold the guitar. You wouldn't believe the difference in sound.
    I'm not going to get into the quality of parts, cause I'm just trying to make a point about the wood.
    If you're gonna use high output pickups, then you can use plywood, basswood, or even fucking balsa wood. If won't mean shit cause high output pickups don't rely nearly so much on the bodies to resonate for their tone. When you use a low output pickup like a strat, "old" les paul paf pickup, you'll hear the tone of the wood. Try putting one one those into a plywood body and tell me it sounds good.
    That's almost as good as screwing the pickup to the body to make it resonate better. There's a good crock of shit if I ever heard one.
    A friend of mine is probably the best luthier I've seen, and he's spent countless hours showing me the effect of different woods with different pickups. There is most difinitely a major effect of the body and neck on the sound of the guitar when you're using good lower output pickups.
    I have to agree that It's up to Ed to sell whatever guitar he likes. He's done his time in the business, and paid his dues and if he wants to sell a Korean guitar that's his business.
    I don't believ that he left Kramer cause they lied to him. He complained of the Korean crap quality of the guitars, and went to a US manufacturer to make fewer of them and keep the quality high and consistent.
    Then he went to peavey to make them faster, ignoring the fact that he was leaving the quality behind. Peavey not only mde them faster. They went into overdrive.
    Peavey has taken steps in the past to save money, and it shows up on a lot of wolfgangs, which have waaayyyy more problems than the original EVH's ever had. Sammy's become a businessman making good money these days, making and selling high quality tequila. Maybe Ed's decided that with lagging sales on the wolfgang, a cheaper version would be the way to go to keep up. His past decisions haven't been that good. What's one more?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wolfgangs piss people off almost as much as Creed!!
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New Wolfgang,

I'm coming down on Ed because this is another in his long line of bullshit double talk.

He leaves Kramer because the guitars were made overseas and he thought they were made in Neptune N.J (and they lied to him) and he says he wants nothing to do with overseas guitars.

He loves MM because of thier quality and didn't
    have to jump a boat to check on them and didn't even want to make them for the public only just for him and Sterling talkes him into 1000 a year. Then he supposedly leaves MM because they don't make enough ? (I think most know why he really left and guitars had nothing to do with it)

Goes to Peavey, again loves it because they are U.S made and now endorses a cheap Korean made Wolf ?

I'll have to agree also with the other guys on quality control, I'm pretty sure I've played quite a few more Wolfgangs that most people, probably more than anyone here, I get them in from all over the country (and a few from Europe) so I've had oportunities that most havn't and to see hear and feel the difference between then is really amazing one is fat with a big bottom end
    and the one right next to it is nasal, the necks feel totally different etc etc I did not see that in the MM, now I don't think it's fair to say they are shit, they are not *but* they do have final inspection\quality control issues.
    later,
    Rol
    www.rolsguitars.com