Register
    Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can never seem to get the low action that I want with my Wolfie Special at the higher frets. I use 9-42s size strings and I move the truss rod around a bit but the action is always to high at the high frets near the bridge and very low like I want it at the low frets near the head stock. Then I get to much fret buzz! How can I lower the action just at the high frets so the action is evened out more across the whole fret board?
    "When I found the guitar, I refused to take lessons. This was my <br />real emotional release, and I didn't want to be taught how to <br />approach the instrument." Eddie Van Halen<br /><br />"While I believe our band will be most triumphant, the truth is Wyld Stallions will never be a super band until we get Eddie Van Halen on guitar." Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by DuffHalen:
    I can never seem to get the low action that I want with my Wolfie Special at the higher frets. I use 9-42s size strings and I move the truss rod around a bit but the action is always to high at the high frets near the bridge and very low like I want it at the low frets near the head stock. Then I get to much fret buzz! How can I lower the action just at the high frets so the action is evened out more across the whole fret board?
    well there are a few different routes to this,
    is your floyd siting flat on the body ??
    if so the only way to lower that action is minor
    neck adjustment, and that won't get you much.
    and the other way is to remove the neck and place a shim under it, right infront of the 2 holes closest the the end of the neck pocket, you want to use something like construction paper i.e a piece of thin stiff paper\carboard, note it doiea not take much, what you think wont make a difference at all will place your frets against the strings so go in small increments, sometimes something as small as adding a piece of masking or electrical tape to the shim will do it.
    Now once you have the action where you want it and the strings are too buzzy at that point you'll have to get your frets leveled, now that's only if you have them at a reasonable height, if you get the action too low there no amount of fret work that will help. so don't be silly about it [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    I think this covers it pretty good, but i'm sure someone will point out something I missed, there always something I forget.
    Rol.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Floyd is sitting flat, I guess maybe Wolfies just don't go any lower than I have it without little mods. I thought I had played some other Wolfs that were lower. Maybe it was a VH Ernie Ball guitar. Most guitars are supposed to have lower action near the head stock than at the bridge right? Well thanks
    "When I found the guitar, I refused to take lessons. This was my <br />real emotional release, and I didn't want to be taught how to <br />approach the instrument." Eddie Van Halen<br /><br />"While I believe our band will be most triumphant, the truth is Wyld Stallions will never be a super band until we get Eddie Van Halen on guitar." Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Floyd is sitting flat, I guess maybe Wolfies just don't go any lower than I have it without little mods. I thought I had played some other Wolfs that were lower. Maybe it was a VH Ernie Ball guitar. Most guitars are supposed to have lower action near the head stock than at the bridge right? Well thanks
    Personally, I wouldn't fuck with putting any shims there, but that's personal preference. Have you adjusted the saddle's at all? Remember that has a role as well.

But yes, you are going to find your action getting gradually higher as you get towards the bridge, hopefully. At least you don't have action like a mother of a whore acoustic (I've seen some) where the action is 2 fuckin miles off the fretboard at the second fret.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been playing and how many guitars have you owned Duff. Also, are you the original owner of your Wolf? Have you adjusted the saddles at all?

Good luck hoss
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DuffHalen:
    Personally, I wouldn't fuck with putting any shims there, but that's personal preference. Have you adjusted the saddle's at all? Remember that has a role as well.

But yes, you are going to find your action getting gradually higher as you get towards the bridge, hopefully. At least you don't have action like a mother of a whore acoustic (I've seen some) where the action is 2 fuckin miles off the fretboard at the second fret.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been playing and how many guitars have you owned Duff. Also, are you the original owner of your Wolf? Have you adjusted the saddles at all?

Good luck hoss
    </font>[/QUOTE]hmmm... what saddles on the floyd are you going to adjust for string height you have me confused here, you aren't talking about moving the Intonation are you ? that can riase string height but also move your intonation.
    and no one likes shims but they are a fact of guitar building life, everyone from Jackson to Ernieball Musicman at one point or another has shims in a guitar somewhere at some spot and if that's what it takes to lower the action then that's what you have to do, if the floyd is all the way down there's nothing else left that can be done besides building a taller neck, sanding an angle to the neck heel or routing an angled neck pocket in the body.
    Rol.

[ December 23, 2002, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: rolsguitars ]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later, all DLR era songs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A shim like Rol suggested may be your easiest way out. Just for reference, here is how I adjust my action, your results may vary...

I use only two springs for the floyd rose tension. I find this give a bit looser and expressive feel, especially when bending, accenting notes, etc. I tighten the tension on the trem springs, lower the trem, and keep tuning (to E flat of course) until I'm satisfied and get only at most very slight buzz and no dead spots. I follow the string/fret clearance guide in the wolf manual if it looks like I need a truss rod adjustment. Make sure to use NEW STRINGS, and strech them out before you begin! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Also, make sure your trem is level, and try raising your trem screws until the buzzing goes away. Your trem may now float a little, but the wolf is really stable and stays in tune when using the bar.

After all this you may need to fix your intonation - that's in the wolf guide as well.

If all this fails, it may be worth the $35 or so and get a local tech to set it up for you, and have him tell you what he did and why.

Good luck!

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DuffHalen:

Good luck hoss
    </font>[/QUOTE]hmmm... what saddles on the floyd are you going to adjust for string height you have me confused here, you aren't talking about moving the Intonation are you ? that can riase string height but also move your intonation.
    and no one likes shims but they are a fact of guitar building life, everyone from Jackson to Ernieball Musicman at one point or another has shims in a guitar somewhere at some spot and if that's what it takes to lower the action then that's what you have to do, if the floyd is all the way down there's nothing else left that can be done besides building a taller neck, sanding an angle to the neck heel or routing an angled neck pocket in the body.
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Well, the dude mentioned adjusting the truss rod but he didn't mention anything about adjusting his saddles which is just a fact of life when you raise or lower your string height to a certain degree. Maybe he did, I don't know, but it would seem premature to me to adjust the truss rod before exhausting your trem setup. That he was questioning typical guitar action prompted me to ask the question. I'd just hope that he would maybe get more familiar with the setup/action(unless he already is) before he would add any shims. It would help to know if he's the original owner of the instrument, or if he's done any major adjustments to it and now wants to go back.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!