Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey I was screwing around with my acoustic. I finally decided it needed a new set of strings. I'm just not sure which ones to buy. I could really use your help on this one. I currently still have the original (i'm guessing copper) strings on it. I have another guitar with black nylons. (not so hot...) I'm looking for that sound that Sammy had when he played rythem on "Can't Stop Loving You." and all his live stuff. I'm not talking about the sound that Eddie's transconductor makes. I'm talking the real deal. Listen to the songs carefully. It's got that deap tone. no amp effects...

jim

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

All albums
    Favorite VH Song

All songs
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sammy never played rythmn on Can't stop loving you. That was Ed with a special piezo pickup in his guitar which enables him to play electric and acoustic at the same time. Ever seen a Parker Fly guitar??? If not, they have the same kind of hookup in their guitars also. Try Martin acoustic guitar strings. They are probably one of the best acoustic guitar makers and I would think that the strings would be the same. I string my acoustic with electric guitar strings. Sounds weird huh??? I get a great sound from my acoustic with them. I like a damp kind of sound and not to tinty like acoustic strings. The acoustic guitar could be a key factor too. Good luck!!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for the piezo stuff. I'm talking about Sammy's live sound. During the Balance tour Sammy played rythem on Can't Stop Loving You (Live). Once in a while he would switch between his Washburn Red Rocker prototype and a Washburn acoustic. Both had different sounds. He also played Give to Live and Eagles fly. Some of it just sounds so awesome. Better then any copper strings I've ever heard or played. It kind of gives a nylon type sound...

jim

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sammy's website redrocker.com has always been very good at e-mailing me back. I bet if you ask there they will tell you what Sammy uses you might even give Washurn a try. When Eagles Fly is a great tune live! You also have to remember that Sammy is playing through a soundboard and you are hearing a proffesionaly mixed signal. I bet if you were sitting in a room with Sammy and he was playing the same guitar it would sound entirely different. Sometimes it is very difficult to nail the tone you want but you still can get close. Most the tone comes from the fingers anyways.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I recommend "Martin Strings" for acoustic guitars. I have been very happy with them!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I recommend "Martin Strings" for acoustic guitars. I have been very happy with them!