Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Live Music Capital of the World" Austin, Texas!
    Favorite VH Album

5150 Baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

07.15.12 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How come there's such a great difference in the size of the Wolfgang necks compared to the Music Man?

I mean why would Eddie design a small neck and then go to such a wider neck on the Wolfgang?

Personally, for me I would like something in between the two like a strat neck, which is perfect size for my hands.

Dan

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I understand, the EBMM EVH neck is an exact copy of his favorite guitar neck. The guitar was ready for retirement, but he loved the feel of the neck so he had EBMM make a digital copy, right up the worn spots it had.
    As far as the wolf neck, I know he had to redesign the guitar because EBMM held the patents for the guitar and pickups, so I guess since he was starting from scratch he redid the neck as well.
    Someone told me the wolf neck is bigger to accomidate the graphite rods as well as the truss rod, but I doubt very much that's true.
    The wolf neck might just be a closer compromise to his early necks, which I heard were wide and very flat.
    I read an interview where Ed said he loved the 10" radius neck because it was so easy to play, but it also had medium sized frets. As I said, an exact copy of his favorite neck.
    Since the wolf has taller frets a flatter radius might be easier to keep from buzzing, but I had one of my EBMM evh's outfitted with the same 6105's as the wolf and I had no trouble with buzzing, so I'm just speculating.
    You'd probably have to ask Ed for the real reason. I know he left EBMM on very bad terms, and was told he couldn't use the same design on the peavey guitar, but only Ed knows why he did what he did for sure.
    They are very different necks without a doubt.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    From what I understand, the EBMM EVH neck is an exact copy of his favorite guitar neck. The guitar was ready for retirement, but he loved the feel of the neck so he had EBMM make a digital copy, right up the worn spots it had.very .
    Tribb,
    I don't believe that , (I'm not calling you a liar I know that's what EVH and Sterling Ball said) I believe it was just Hype, the guitar he copied it from, suposedly the Kramer 5150 had a 12 degree 1- 11\16" nut , the EVH MM had a 10 Degree 1- 5\8" nut no 2 ways about it, I don't care how they copied the "worn spots" there is no way in hell those 2 necks would feel the same.

As for why the neck is different from the MM to the Peavey my opinion is he had to do anything he could to make that guitar different even claiming he had to redesign the pickups cause it didn't sound right, the whole story is bullshit IMO.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rols, I know the Kramers they were putting out at that time had necks nothing like the MM EVH necks, so I always assumed it was a copy of one of his Linn Elsworth necks.
    I remember reading an interview where he talks about the guitar they copied. I didn't think it was a kramer, but I know he had a number of guitars he used at the time that he put together, so I figured it was just his favorite neck, whether it was the stock guitar neck or one that he put on the body.
    A friend of mine has one of his striped backup stage guitars that he used before coming out with the EBMM EVH.
    It doesn't say kramer anywhere on it, but the neck feels close to the evh, and not what most of the kramer necks felt like.
    We had a DJ here years ago named Joey Vendetta, who knew Ed and was given one of his Barettas as a gift.
    He pretty well just kept it in the case, but when he left the radio station here and moved to the US, I wound up with the guitar. Even the neck on that, while rounded more than most Kramer necks didn't feel like the EVH neck.
    Now I'm gonna have to start digging to see what neck it was that was copied.

As far as the wolf, I couldn't even begin to understand why he made such a radical change. Doesn't make sense at all.

Live Music Capital of the World" Austin, Texas!
    Favorite VH Album

5150 Baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

07.15.12 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just ran across this interview where Eddie talks about his neck preference.

Here's the link to the interview:
    http://vhlinks.com/pages/interviews/evh/gp122979.html

GP: Where did you get the hardware for your main Strat-style guitar?

EVH: Ah, it was actually the old '58 Strat. I took the vibrato tailpiece out. Like with new Fenders,
    the vibrato tailpiece isn't half as good as the original old ones. So I took that out of the '58 and
    went to Charvel and bought a heavier piece of wood. And I really like wide necks. I hate skinny
    necks. I like them real flat and wide, almost like a classical guitar. They're thin...I don't know how to explain it. They're real wide up and down, but thin the other way.

GP: So it's wide across the fingerboard, but a thin neck.

EVH: Right, right.

GP: That's a maple neck?

EVH: Yeah. And also I don't like 'em sprayed. I hate the lacquer shit.

GP: Do you put oil on it?

EVH: No, nothin'. Just bare wood. Because I like to feel the wood, you know? I hate to slip and
    slide. You start sweatin', and you can't stretch the strings.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That interview was from 79, before he got involved with kramer. He was still buying bodies and necks and slapping them together. The kramer necks weren't like the ones he describes here.
    I'm looking for the interview he did for the EBMM EVH.
    I know I've got it around here somewhere.
    I still think the EBMM neck is faster and more comfortable to play than the wolf neck, but the wolf neck is also a pretty good one and does appeal to a no. of players.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thank god he made the new wolfie neck.

this thing is made to be played - once you start playing its hard to stop (tho i wouldn't call my playing anything more then noise).

he really did a fantastic job onthis one.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    That interview was from 79, before he got involved with kramer. He was still buying bodies and necks and slapping them together. The kramer necks weren't like the ones he describes here.
    I'm looking for the interview he did for the EBMM EVH.
    I know I've got it around here somewhere.
    I still think the EBMM neck is faster and more comfortable to play than the wolf neck, but the wolf neck is also a pretty good one and does appeal to a no. of players.
    I'll have to dig up an interview I read, I think it was in the guitar wold special VH issue or in "The Inside" but I swear it's quoted as the neck on the MM was copied from the 5150, I could be wrong though it was quite q while ago since I read it and I've slept since then [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember Eddie saying that he used to dig "wide flat necks, when I was using danelectro necks."
    This is when he is playing Kramer's, circa 87 saying "People change man."

From what I remember in the Guitar Player interview, Eddie said that the neck was copied after his original red, black, and white striped. Who fuckin knows man.

All I know is that I like both of em...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH3
    Favorite VH Song

Pleasure Dome
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The original interview where Eddie said the EBMM neck was a digital copy of his Kramer 5150 neck was in a now defunct guitar magazine called Guitar Shop back in 1994. He talked about how Keith Richards used to give his roadies guitars to play for a year or two to break them in. Obviously, if the worn spots were copied off of his Kramer then the new neck essentially would already be broken in. I used to have this mag but I threw it out while doing some house cleaning. Stupid ass move.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks SixPackofBUD. I found the interview and you're right. The guitar it(measurements) was taken from had to be retired cause it was literally falling apart.
    I also spoke to someone at EBMM who was there during production and apparently they were given the neck just the way it came off the guitar, to copy. They got it wrong a few times and couldn't nail it until they brought over a much more accurate digital copying machine from switzerland, which did the job very well.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also think it was the 5150, because at some point the 5150 neck was at the EBMM factory and they repaired the peghead where it broke off right at the high E tuning peg. The repaired the break, put a new high E tuning peg on the underside of the peghead and put an Ernie Ball Music Man logo over the Kramer logo. There are pics of the guitar where you can see all this floating around the net somewhere.