Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.19.12 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm curious to see if anyone has tried and/or bought the POD XT. I'm thinking about buying one to replace my Johnson J-Station, but value your opinions and wanna hear what you have to say.

Thanks,

Jeff
    "France has neither winter, nor summer, nor morals. France is miserable because it is filled with Frenchmen, and Frenchmen are miserable because they live in France." - Mark Twain

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I haven't tried one myself yet, but have only heard good things from people who have.

I know that they have mic modelling in there so you can model where your mike would be amped in relation to your amp. And apparently they do this really well.

However, I haven't tried one yet because, as is the standard answer for everything else at the moment, "I haven't found the time yet...".

"<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Shit Sandwich!

I had a Pod Pro for a while and it was OK, it worked great for demos, but it really did sound fake.

When the XT came out I grabbed one and to me it sounds worse then the original Pod. I tried it every which way, tweeked the hell out it, and blaahhh.

The clean sounds are good, and the AC-30 wasn't bad, but the Recto and Marshall tones flat out stink. It sounds good on paper but in reality it's shit.

I am a huge tube nut so the whole modelling thing makes me crazy. A LOT of people love the pod and it's variants but I just can't handle it. For fattening up tracks, or home demos they save a lot of hassle that you'd have with a tube amp.

My advice would be to rent one and use it for whatever application you'd intend it for, and if it works for you, you're set. I do think that my opinion of these things is an exception to most, because everyone I talk to loves them.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After all the hype I heard I tried one out.
    I was gonna take it home and try it, but after about 20 minutes in the store through various amps I heard enough to say no thanks.

I think Homeunit said it better.
    I just don't know when to shut up. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

07.08.15 @ 12:21 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

Have you heard the "eruption sound bite from the Pod XT? Sounds pretty damn good.

http://www.line6.com/PODxt/listen.htm
    "Who would ever believe a little dutch boy could create such a ruccous"

- Eddie Van Halen

Check out my band "Modern Relic" on youtube and Facebook

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It all depends on what it is you want the POD to do.
    I have been using the POD for over two years now and I love it. It allows me to play for hours on end while my wife is watching TV in the same room. or my kid is asleep.
    I have been tweaking the settings to a point where I know what every amp model can give me, and all I have to say is that the POD is my best companion aside from Wolfgang. I use it all the time to record on Pro Tools and practice, sample loops, and have a great time doing it.
    I went so far as to buy a Flextone II XL amp a month ago, which is basically a POD that moves air, with 2x12 speakers and 100 watts of ball crunching tones.
    Sorry Tribb, but Line 6 products are the shit as far as I'm concerned.
    Granted I am no touring musician, and I only jam with friends, but it's the right tool for the job for me.

The POD XT is a more complex and versatile version of the POD 2.0. I have heard what it can do. I can't justify buying the XT yet, but I'm thinking about it...
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Canyon Carver:
    It all depends on what it is you want the POD to do.
    I have been using the POD for over two years now and I love it. It allows me to play for hours on end while my wife is watching TV in the same room. or my kid is asleep.
    I have been tweaking the settings to a point where I know what every amp model can give me, and all I have to say is that the POD is my best companion aside from Wolfgang. I use it all the time to record on Pro Tools and practice, sample loops, and have a great time doing it.
    I went so far as to buy a Flextone II XL amp a month ago, which is basically a POD that moves air, with 2x12 speakers and 100 watts of ball crunching tones.
    Sorry Tribb, but Line 6 products are the shit as far as I'm concerned.
    Granted I am no touring musician, and I only jam with friends, but it's the right tool for the job for me.

The POD XT is a more complex and versatile version of the POD 2.0. I have heard what it can do. I can't justify buying the XT yet, but I'm thinking about it...
    I used a POD for a few years as preamp to 2 5150's
    if it were not for me constantly wanting to screw around with stuff I'd still have it, I thought that the POD thru 2 tubed powerheads was just an awsome sound, but that the POD thru a SS powerhead sounded a little sterile, meaning I don't like the POD flextone head or 2\12 combos
    but running the POD thru tubed power heads is a different story and in stereo it's even better.
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Halenizer:
    Have you heard the "eruption sound bite from the Pod XT? Sounds pretty damn good.

http://www.line6.com/PODxt/listen.htm
    yea it sounds decent for what he's doing, notice he doesn't do any dive bombs? and the reason is there is no growl in that tone, it's not horrible but it needs a little work.
    I will say though that is the best VH preset I have heard from any processor, heh you should hear the one in the GNX3 my god it's pathetic.
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i agree with rol. it sounds pretty good but theres that growl or extra drive thats missing.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, what do you guys have your original Pod 2.0 set on for that old VH tone? The closest I've gotten is with the JCM 800 (British High Gain) model with the drive cranked to 10, and it's not really close at all. The modern high gain model sounds more like a 5150 and the Plexi model just sounds terrible. Based on the Eruption clip from the new PODXT, the XT is a huge upgrade.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by bcgvh:
    Hey, what do you guys have your original Pod 2.0 set on for that old VH tone? The closest I've gotten is with the JCM 800 (British High Gain) model with the drive cranked to 10, and it's not really close at all. The modern high gain model sounds more like a 5150 and the Plexi model just sounds terrible. Based on the Eruption clip from the new PODXT, the XT is a huge upgrade.
    I couldn't get an old tone with the POD, but that was OK that wasn't what I was looking for out of it, I wanted balance tone and that could be gotten quite easily. I wanna play the XT more
    I only demo'd it for about 30 minutes I want more time to play with it for a while.
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I wanted balance tone and that could be gotten quite easily. \
    Rol.[/QB]
    Which frikin knobs were you turning?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by homeunit:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I wanted balance tone and that could be gotten quite easily. \
    Rol.
    Which frikin knobs were you turning?[/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Well remember, I was running it thru a DOD 15 band stereo EQ , Hush 2cx and into 2 5150 power heads, it didn't sound as good complete SS or in
    the head phones.
    I can't remember the exact settings but as was mentioned before the Marshall or brit high gain nor the modersn high gain were it, I thought those sucked to be honest, I Ended up starting with the Rectifeid and tweeking from there, with the right gain, bass , mid , treble and right amount of delay and chorus it was pretty dam close
    IMO.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I demo'd a POD 2.0 through a PV keyboard amp a while back. It sounded really good. I'm not much of a tweaker...to me, if it sounds good leave it alone. If it doesn't sound good, tweaking probably won't help.
    The biggest drawback to these modelers (IMO) is the lack of reaction to the guitar's volume knob. I play my volume knob on almost every downstroke until I get it set 'just right'(usually til the chorus of the song) where I open it up or whatever...
    That's my opinion...btw, I'm a tube man myself. Check my links page for the place to get tubes...

My Gear...
    My Links...

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

First 6
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm a die hard tube guy - I'll never walk into a gig with a POD or any other modeller...

But I do like my POD 2. Within reason, its sounds pretty close to the amps it models, but no - it doesn't sound identical. Digital has come a loooong way over the last few years though. 5 years ago, nothing sounded remotely this good.

Also, I think a big mistake people make are trying the POD through another actual amp. You're gonna hear an amp modeller being played through another amp - the amp is gonna colour it. I recommend listening through either stereo speakers or better yet - some monitors.

I just think its pretty good bang for your buck - 16 or 32 amps in a small and relatively affordable package. Very flexible!

But yeah, nothing beats a living breathing tube amp!