Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good deal??

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

would you say a second hand wolfgang special for $600 is a good deal??

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Like I can actually pick one?!
    Favorite VH Song

All of\'em
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah I'd say thats about right...I paid 600 for my Wolfie special and it was used. Any more than that and you're being robbed.
    "THERE IS JUST ENOUGH CHRIST IN ME TO MAKE ME FEEL ALMOST GUILTY!"

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No.

Why not spend the extra 150 and get a standard?

Fuck it's without the maple top, but counter to many people who despise wolfgangs as "2,000 dollar boat oars" and shit, they really are a good instrument.

They are not shabby by any means, and if your gonna pay 600 for a fucking special, I say get a Black standard for 750 buy it now, even though some people criticize the hell out of basswood on here, even though they say they have OWNED or have OWNED 16 EBMM's? Get fuckin real

Spring for the standard big dog, you deserve it
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:

Fuck it's without the maple top, but counter to many people who despise wolfgangs as "2,000 dollar boat oars" and shit, they really are a good instrument.

Yeah...my canoe gets around on the lake like you wouldn't believe now.

This summer, I'm gonna remove the necks from two of them and bolt each body to opposite ends of a trimmed 2"x4" and go KAYAKING!!!!!!!!!

If I can scrape up the cash, I'll get about 48 Wolfgangs, arrange them around a specially designed axle, and I'll have myself one really nice mill.

Say what you want about the guitars, man, but taking pot shots, UNPROVOKED, at the guys here is not too fucking cool. It's the kind of thing Yngwie would do.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it the Gloss Special or Flame Top? If Gloss,
    no it's not a good deal. I bought my Gloss Purple
    Special brand new for $609 several years ago. Specials generally sell around $450-500 used.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:

Yeah...my canoe gets around on the lake like you wouldn't believe now.

This summer, I'm gonna remove the necks from two of them and bolt each body to opposite ends of a trimmed 2"x4" and go KAYAKING!!!!!!!!!

If I can scrape up the cash, I'll get about 48 Wolfgangs, arrange them around a specially designed axle, and I'll have myself one really nice mill.

Say what you want about the guitars, man, but taking pot shots, UNPROVOKED, at the guys here is not too fucking cool. It's the kind of thing Yngwie would do.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Make no mistake. I am not taking pot shots, but merely speaking as I would with some buddies having a round of brews at the bar. If you think that's taking pot shots, thats your take.

Of course that was aimed at Tribb. Do I think he has a bad sense of tone? Absolutely not. Do I think he knows nothing about luthiery? Absolutely not.

Do I think he might be "Slightly" hypocritical for condemning Basswood with fire and brimstone? Absolutely, considering the guy said he's been through or owns 16 Ernie Balls, and I quote, he said he wasn't a collector.

This is no means to start a war, but If I happen to state my opinion with counter opinions, so be it man. Lighten up and have a beer or some shit.

I am by no means the quintissential experienced owner of countless custom, and prestigious instruments. But I hold true, that the shittiest of players on even the best of instruments, is still a shitty player.

And after playing my WOLF, I know it's a quality guitar. All of the bad qualities some of the guys pointed out about the guitars, are all but absent on my wolf, except for one, and that is the setup...and even that isn't that far off from perfect.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I must apologize to Tribb, even though he'd probably laugh his ass off at me doing so, since agrees with it, but I believe, the 2 grand boat oar was homeunit.

These guys have much more experience with more guitars than I could dream of at this point in time. Like I said, I don't agree with their opinions of the guitar, but I'm not putting words in their mouth, and I'm not chastising them. They make their points, and I simply don't agree with them.

Just because I've been playing seven or eight years on the same guitar, doesn't mean I'm tone deaf. I'd say it's just the contrary.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First of all, since you're addressing me directly, I'm not laughing my ass off.
    I never said 16 EBMM's, I said 14, which I have had in the last 7 years. I also never said the wolfgang was a boat oar, at least I don't remember doing so. I've always stated that although I don't feel the building quality is as good as an EBMM EVH, and while I'm not a fan of basswood, I think the wolfgang is a workhorse of a guitar. I said the OLP was a boat oar, and I stand by that.
    I've been playing over 20 years, and spent the last 7 1/2 years in a Van Halen tribute, and I colected EVH's cause I used them onstage, and no I'm not a collector. I just like the feel of those guitars and I picked them up when and where I could, and I PLAYED them. I didn't give a shit as to how collectable they were at the time. I was using a 5150 at the time as well, and I finally had the good sense to get rid of that as well. I've also had 6 wolf standards, and that doesn't make me a collector either. I just liked the ones I bought. Those necks are very nice. I just wish they didn't all feel so different.
    It's just in the last year and a half that I had an excellent luthier "show" me what basswood sounded like as a tone wood, after building me a modded marshall that really showed me what they sounded like. I sold all my wolfs and I'm down to 2 EVH's which are in storage. If I labelled myself as a "collector" you think I would have gotten rid of them? I just stopped using them.
    All I'm playing at the moment is a handmade strat, nothing collectable about that.
    He also built me an EVH type guitar, without any basswood in it at all. Nothing collectable about it either. I'm taking a break from the tribute at the moment to pursue other interests. I may go back to the tribute in the summer, but I'm happier doing other things at the moment, playing an "alder" strat, with low output pickups. And believe it or not I play that guitar "clean". No fuzz, no distortion, and no VH. I like the "tone", and I've learned how to listen.
    I don't turn a fuzz on full, get a few pick squeals and hammer ons and think I'm Ed. I did the VH tribute cause it was fun, and I could play the shit.
    You wanna hear more conceit. My strat fights me all the way. I've got heavy strings on it but I can probably play it clean better than most guys can play their light stringed EVHs, wolfs, and other high output guitars, with distortion so strong that it covers all your mistakes. That's what a lot of guys use distortion for anyway. I spent a lot of time playing and practicing "clean", and it shows in my playing. I'm fucking good.
    Do I sound like Yngwei yet.
    I don't really give a fuck. I like guys like Jeff Beck, SRV and a lot of others that like volume, but don't rely on distortion and tons of gain to get them through a song.
    I know I'm getting off topic, so I'll end this by saying I thought you were a pretty good guy, but if someone pissed in your cornflakes this morning don't take it out on me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ February 02, 2002 at 07:32 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

My Band
    Baluchitherium

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To all, great posts!

For a different perspective, I think most players ( I say most in the fact that most players are not full time professionals ) rank these attributes in the following order of importance -

1. Neck feel
    2. Look
    3. Sound

That being said, The Wolf's neck is the best feeling neck I've ever played.
    And face it if a guitar neck don't feel good, you're not going to play it

They gotta look cool.

Most of the time, I'm plunking unplugged around the house and it sounds great to me. Sometimes I'll put my ear on the body of the guitar when playing unplugged. That's the sound I'd like to hear out of an amp someday!

When I do plug in I can tweak the amp/effects to get a tone I like. ( I guess I'm more of a plug in and play guy like Home described )

Anyway, the Wolf good/bad debate remains and with all subjective debates, the outcome rests with individual preference. I do appreciate all the the basswood comments and the next guitar I get will be probably be alder or ash, might try neck-thru too. I think my 83 Kramer's poplar and the 76 Les Paul's Mahogany.

Maybe the Wolf Custom Shop will offer alternative woods? Though probably at a high price.

Peace GH4L
    "Choose Wisely"

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by gtrhead4life:

For a different perspective, I think most players ( I say most in the fact that most players are not full time professionals ) rank these attributes in the following order of importance -

1. Neck feel
    2. Look
    3. Sound

I have been damned with fairly big hands, and as a result, almost every neck is basically the same to me. Actually, the bigger one on my POS acoustic is the most comfortable for me. But as for electrics, I hardly ever notice a difference. It actually isn't a big deal for me; I just adapt to a neck pretty easily.

Looks? Well, if you consider an instrument to be an extension of one's personality, yeah, I guess it's somewhat important. After all, ever since I went to Strats (with non-opaque finishes), my whole approach to playing has changed. If I was using some orange or hot pink BC Rich or something, the playing would probably reflect that.

But for me, sound comes first. I'll give up ease of playing for better sound any day of the week.

As always seems the case, I go completely ass-backwards from the norm. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After reading my own post, it's obvious I forgot a big element - Quality. If the neck feels great but the bridge, setup, and tuners won't keep it in tune, fuhgeht about it. If i had to place it in the 3 it would be in between 1 and 2, and 2 and 3.

Peace
    GH4L
    "Choose Wisely"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

When I do plug in I can tweak the amp/effects to get a tone I like. ( I guess I'm more of a plug in and play guy like Home described )

GH4L
    It's not even being a "plug and play" player. It sounds like you use effects and when people do, basswood is a good choice. It's neutral sounding, and works well with effects.

I think you nailed it with the subjective nature of making tone choices. The necks on a Wolf aren't bad at all, just the overall package doesn't work for me.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

To all, great posts!

1. Neck feel
    2. Look
    3. Sound

Peace GH4L
    For me it's,
    1 Sound
    2 Neck feel
    3 quality
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love Wolfgangs, I think you all already know that, but this $2000 is the biggest exaggeration I've ever heard in my life. That may be the list price, but I'm not even sure if it is or not. The point is any guitarist that goes into a store and buys ANY guitar for the list price should go ahead and bend over and... well you get my point. Would I pay $2000 dollars for a Wolfgang? HELL NO! But I have enough sense to know that I can walk into a music store talk a flame top standard down to $900, and a black standard down to $700, both brand new and I have done it. If you buy a guitar made by just about any big name manufactuer you're being charged way too much, thats a fact of life. They want lots of your money and you want the guitar. People complain that putting Ed's name on the headstock makes it cost more, but its the same thing with Gibson, Fender, Ernie Ball, etc... They're out to make money, ALL OF THEM. They've got investors that they have to please to keep themselsves in business. NAME BRAND GUITARS ARE OVERPRICED. I you want them you'll pay for it, if not you'll build your own warmoth, its that simple.