Register

Thread: Kinman Pickups

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The other day I picked up a set of Kinman pickups for my strat and installed them. I'm trying to make up my mind about them. Any of you guys use them, or have used them?

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Hey bud
    I haven't used them obviously, but I did check out the sound files at their site.

The "modern" ones sound quite good to me, real SRVish. The "classic" one I didn't care for. Maybe it was just the sound file, but they sounded too thin for my liking.

I've heard old old strats sound way better then that, but again, it may just be the setup he was using, coupled with the :great: playing he was doing.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I dunno bud. It took me awhile to get my p/u settings right cause I took the instructions for p/u height too literally. I was ready to rip them out and go back to Alnico pro II's, but I got a guy who's got kinmans in everything to give me some pointers, and they sound great now. More like a vintage strat than anything I've played. Don't go by the site. You have to hear them in person. Go to HC and read some of the reviews.
    I'm going to pick up(no pun intended) a 2nd set tomorrow.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

you've got the classic set, or the modern set?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got the AVN-Blues set.
    http://www.kinman.com/html/myProducts/strats.htm
    I can go from a 50's kind of quack to a real nice glassy chime in the 2nd and 4th to full blown SRV's #1 sound pretty well dead on.
    I was in L&M today trying out some amps to see how they sounded through different amps. I found they sound best through tube amps. Also, like I said, the height of the poles from the strings makes a drastic difference.
    I was talking to Chris Kinman over the last few days cause he was confused as to why I didn't like them after i explained what I was looking for. I think you know how impatient and experimental I am. The sound wasn't right and the 2nd and 4th positions sounded almost identical. As I said, I was ready to rip them out. He came up with a no. of questions and ideas, but never mentioned altering the p/u distance from that recommended on the setup sheet. He was asking me what bridge I was using and what strings, and what blah blah blah. After I said fuck it and started from the pickguard up, at a certain height the sound suddenly jumped out and I got this big shiteating grin. I couldn't help it. There it was.
    After explaining what I did to Chris he said he was going to change the recommended settings on his site, and also in the setup spec sheets that come with the pickups. Obviously since all guitars have different body and neck density the same height shouldn't apply to all guitars.
    Here's his email after I explained I finally got the sound I was after.

"Mike; read your email this afternoon. I must say it's soooo sooooo very nice
    to hear you tweaked them to your satisfaction. I thought I was encouraging
    players to *Experiment* with pickup heights but I now realize that it's best
    to spell it out. As a consequence of your experience I am rewriting the
    section covering that, and maybe add/change a few notes on my Website. (Late
    news...see Home page, Tone page)
    So just to recapitulate, you've now got the growl you wanted? Can you take a
    few moments to explain the pro's and cons of this to me, I'd like to know
    just in case I get asked again. You've had a unique experience and I'd sure
    like to know more.
    Also I've revised the text on my fitting instructions with your experiences
    in mind."

I'm putting kinmans into my white strat tomorrow, cause I have to stain the fingerboard anyway.
    I'm sure the height will be different for this set, even though they're the same pickups, since the alder's more dense than my burst, and it's a big V shaped bird's eye neck as opposed to the heavy C shaped rock maple neck on my strat.
    Even a 1/4 turn can make a big difference with these p/u's but it's worth it.

[ December 18, 2001 at 04:27 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]</p>