Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

I
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi group, I just got an evh ernie ball music man and am beyond psyched! I remember when they came out in 92 and I played one. It was love at first fret! The beautiful quilt, the feel of the neck, the sound of the pickups OMG!!! Anyways, I found one at a reasonable price. Pic can be found here http://www.terracom.net/~bdgoff/rmvh.JPG
    I just wanted to solicit any tips you ebmm owners might want to share. Anything as far as care of my new axe would be appreciated. Thanks!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

BaconHead, it's a beauty. Just play the hell out of it.
    Except for cleaning the neck, there's not much to taking care of it.
    What kind of amp are you playing it through?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

I
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the response tribb. As far as playing the hell out of it... I don't think that should be a problem. Just yesterday when it arrived I played it for two hours straight. Afterwards I was kind of in shock as to how unbelievably nice it felt and that I've actually got one.

What kind of maintenence and care should go into the neck? I've never owned a guitar with an unfinished neck. What should I use on it and should there be like a regularly scheduled type thing like every six months or so?

Its kind of funny that you ask what amp I am playing it through because I had actually been on the lookout for a marshall jmp based on what I had read here in the group. (Been lurking for a while [img]smile.gif[/img] ) The reason for that is that I put a really nice les paul classic on layaway earlier this year and am due to get it in early may. To go along with it I wanted to get a nice tube amp. But once I saw the music man at this price I had to get it damn the torpedoes. Now it looks like I won't be able to get a jmp as soon as I had hoped. Ah well I think it was worth it.

I am currently playing it through a peavey bandit 65 using its clean channel and getting my dirt and fx from a boss gt-5. It sounds kind of cheesy but playing the ebmm through my 5150 patch just had me in hog heaven. Thanks again for the feedback!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congrats, bro, and welcome to the club. You've got a modern classic on your hands there.

I'm sure tribb will offer his advice as well, but the only tips that I'd pass along...a) don't be too bummed if your pickup switch craps out at some point; I'm on my third, and b) I use 0000 steel wool to clean the board, then rub in some lemon oil after it's clean.

Actually, to be honest, that's what I used to do...I haven't done it in at least a year or three. Now I pretty much just wipe off any large accumulations of surface crud every now and then. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I had a problem a few years in with the G-string bridge saddle. The string was catching in a rut and breaking pretty frequently. I had a tech smooth it out.

All in all, pretty smooth sailing over 10 years. And the neck to end all necks!

Enjoy it, man!

ratter.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Boss GT-5 - the best floor effects unit I've heard by a long way
    RD<br /><br />"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)<br /><br />"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What ratter says is pretty well right. I don't bother with the steel wool, but lemon oil or gunstock oil used very infrquently does the trick if you're worried about dirt.
    The necks on those are a very hard, dense maple, and wiping down with a dry cloth after you play is usually fine.
    If you play it hard and constantly, and find that the wood is drying out badly then a coating of tung oil is a good idea, but I wouldn't worry about that for a long time if you even need to at all.
    Like I said, you've got a beauty bud. Enjoy it.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

I
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ratter - Thanks for the heads up on possible probs down the road. Slightly OT but, I didn't reply to a thread a while back where you gave us a glimpse of your version of the brown sound, cuz I didn't have an account at the time, but I thought it was amazing! I always get a kick out of hearing other people attempt to nail the eddie-fied tone. Yours was really good.

Since I'm off-topic I may as well go whole hog! To go back to people pegging the brown sound. Have you guys heard Yngwie on the VH tribute album? Where he does "Light up the Sky"? OMG when I hear that I was amazed! He gets as close to the brown goodness as anyone I've ever heard. I remember reading an interview with him where he says that he uses Marshall 50 and 100 watt jmp heads so I guess there's another reason I've been wanting to get my hands on one.

RD - I did a little bit of research on floor units and the general consensus was that the boss gt-5 pretty much sounds the best. A Guitar Player review that I read said that out of all the units reviewed the gt-5 had the most realistic amp sounds. I'm pretty happy with it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hmmm... what was I talking about... oh ya I remember [img]smile.gif[/img] . tribb and ratter I appreciate the tips that you guys have given me in regards to care of my new neck. Also I was taking a look at the extra-long strap posts on the ebmm... What's the deal with these? Are these straplocks or something?

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, i'm not a much of a collector of anything, but i do want an original ebmm evh too. that colour and yellow.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice axe, man.

I actually prefer the Ernies to the Wolfgangs, and it looks like you got a pretty schweet one, there.

Enjoy it, bro!

SBS
    What, me, worry?