Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was lookin for a new amp, and I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions? I was lookin' for something between 100-150 watts, that I could get sort of a classic VH sound with a modern distortion, and needs to be able to do this LOUD! I get a good sound on my amp now, but it's only 65 watts, and its not loud enough. I can get it loud enough with my processor, just with the processor I get a loud fuzzy noise, and uncontrollable feedback, and without the processor I have to turn my post gain up and it sounds pretty shitty. So any suggestions?
    I am awesome

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What kind of amp(what make) are you using at the moment?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Marshall DSL 100. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Maybe the TSL 100, which has a built in power soak. I've never plugged into the TSL 100, but I'm assuming that with the VPR switch 'on', the overall volume would still be loud as balls, so long as the volume was dimed.

There's so many other alternatives, though for a loud yet "modern vintage" amp. Bogner, etc........

So you're maxing out the volume on your 65 watt amp, and it's not loud enough? [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] I'm impressed. I never turned my 60 watt 5150 combo up past 5, and that still almost brought the house down. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

I hope you're wearing Airport-Grade ear protection, dude.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    What kind of amp(what make) are you using at the moment?
    This is what I'd like to know as well. I'm assuming that if your tones getting worse as you crank that its 65w solid state?

I'd recomend a quality tube amp if you want really loud volumes. Like Marshall amps the beauty is that the louder they get, the better they sound.

If you want something high quality with a vintage to modern voice range check out the Budda SuperDrive series. I have the SuperDrive 30 and it outMarshalls my 71 Marshall but can be tweaked to a more modern voice if needed. Its only 30 watts but It cuts through my band competing against hard hitting drums, bass, and another gutiarist. So volume is not an issue with this amp, but if you NEED to be deafeningly loud they make a SuperDrive 80 too. Check them out, they are in the same price range as the new JCM 2000 Marshall series. BTW the DSL Marshall would probably work nicely too, but to my ears the Budda's have that early VH thing going more.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It always seems like guys who like a lot of watts are thinking of steppin down to something smaller and the guys who have the "small amps" are thinking of moving up to the "big shit".

I guess it's our never ending search for the perfect tone.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:34 PM
    Liked 727 Times in 344 Posts

Hey man, forget about the watts. Watts don't always equate to usable volume.
    For example, my lead guitar player came into practice one day with a 50 watt Top Hat Emplexidor head. I thought my 100 watt Marshall would be louder, Ha. He turned his amp up to 5 and I had mine on 10, and I literally couldn't hear mine over his.
    In reality, you only gain 3 decibles between 50 watts and 100 watts. I have to give the Top Hat Emplixidor head it's props.
    But, if all your looking for is watts, go check out a Randall Warhead. It's 300 watts and sounds like shit.
    I'll be honest with you, one of the most impressive amps I've heard lately is the new amp Crate came out with. It's a VFX5112. 50watts, and one 12 inch speaker. It has built in digital effects, and it's loud. It's all tube with 4 12AX7 preamp tubes, and 2 EL34 power tubes. It also comes in a 2x12 configuration, but I didn't play that. The amp has some balls.
    I'm seriously considering selling my JCM900 combo, and buying one.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Right now I have a Peavy Studio Pro 112
    I am awesome

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t pick just one
    Last Online

08.20.08 @ 02:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Unchained Wolfie:
    [QB]I was lookin for a new amp, and I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions? I was lookin' for something between 100-150 watts, that I could get sort of a classic VH sound with a modern distortion, and needs to be able to do this LOUD!

Let me send a pitch for the Peavey 5150 II. I know alot of people on this site don't like it, but I use the 5150 II head with a Mesa Boogie Recto Cab, and it's the best sounding distortion amp setup I've ever had. And this is coming from a Marshall disciple. The 5150's rhythm channel, in combination with the Mesa cab, sounds damn near identical to a Marshall to my ears. And the Recto Cab adds so much depth to the overall sound, that I refuse to use any other speaker cabinet. I use a Lexicon processor with this setup right now, and I've had no buzzing problems with it.
    With this rig, I use 4 guitars:
    1) An Ernie Ball Axis
    2) Ernie Ball Steve Morse model (my mate for life)
    3) A '97 Strat Ash body/rosewood fretboard
    4) An original 1958 Fender Stratocaster that My Dad handed down to me.
    Regardless of what I plug in, the sound just comes alive. Check it out. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Jim Bailes