Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Ed's 5150's...

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...Wot mods has he made to the 5150's he uses? [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just like his Marshalls....they're pretty much just stock.....
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

His 5150 series heads are stock but I think he changes the tubes. I know in my two 5150 heads tubes make a big difference. His speakers are different from what peavey sells us. Rock on!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by AFU:
    His 5150 series heads are stock but I think he changes the tubes. I know in my two 5150 heads tubes make a big difference. His speakers are different from what peavey sells us. Rock on!
    Where did you learn that his speakers are different? Everything I've heard or read says he uses the 75 watt Sheffeilds. I'm not saying I doubt you I'd just like to know where you got this information.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What tubes does he use...?

I have an enquiring mind you see.... [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] !!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

you really think edward or any other famous guitarist doesnt try to protect or cover up his tone secrets? edward lie about anything? naaaaawwwwww [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

06.05.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually,

all that shit is nothing but a Red Herring. It's been widely reported that all Ed's tech talk about having his amps modified by Jose Armando, using variacs, sending his amps to India for mojo treatments, etc....There may be truth burried in some of that, but the fact of the matter is that Ed's tone is in his fingers....period. He could play through a crate, and it would sound like him.

I firmly believe that Ed's stage wolfgangs are a little special. Perhaps they've got nicer pieces of wood, whatever.

I also believe that extra care has gone into Ed's stage amp heads and cabs. But to say that he swaps speakers to get ahead of the competition is rediculous.

Im sure the Peavey folks go "Lets be extra careful about these units, they're going to Mr Van Halen" .... but that's as far as I think it goes.

_F

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I've heard, and seen pics, that Ed used modded jcm 800s on the balance tour.

As far a speaker choice goes, that's ALMOST irelevant seeing as Ed uses his heads as pre-amps and routes his sig through stereo power amps, and a ton of goop. The shefields would probably be a good choice seeing as he pushes the fuck out of them and uses sooo many effects.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

House of Pain
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would have to agree with Strangegrey. You can bet Eddie only sees the cream of the crop from the Wolfgang assembly line. The guys at the factory would go over his personal guitars with a fine tooth comb before sending them to 5150. It would be interesting to tag along with Eddie if he ever decided to go into different music shops in different cities, just to see what he thought about the Wolfs that are on the shelf. I don't own a Wolf, being left-handed and all, but I've heard some interesting stories about the quality control on the Wolf. Seems to be quite a wide range when it comes to the quality of the guitars in the stores.

Eddie's amps are probably stock too. Eddie tends to use quite a few effects and things like equalization too, so his sound is going to be impossible to duplicate, even if we are using the exact equipment that he does. And don't forget, the fingers are the most important element in this equation. What I wouldn't give for hands like Eddie's...

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:50 AM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Chasing Eddies tone is going to be a real pain in the ass for you. It won't matter if you put the same tubes in your 5150 that Eddie uses in his, because he probably has about eight different heads all set up differently for different songs. Even if Eddie sent you one of his 5150 amps that he personally used, you still wouldn't get his tone because you wouldn't be running through a 25,000 dollar rack of effects with 4 sound technicians tweaking every note you play. Just my opinion, I could be dead wrong.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Homeunit. First of all, "Hi man, how are you?" Second of all Ed did NOT use 800s on the Balance tour. Those photos were Sammy's rig. I spoke to Ed twice during that tour and each time extensively discussed his rig. IF he had them in his rack (which I truly belive they were in Sammys), then they were spares, or used for a specific sound.

I know for a fact that AFTER the VH3 tour, he had John Suhr mod two Marshall 100 watt MKIIs for him.

It's good to be back!
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Kamikazesheep:

Anyone....?

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by Jape Man:
    Homeunit. First of all, "Hi man, how are you?" Second of all Ed did NOT use 800s on the Balance tour. Those photos were Sammy's rig. I spoke to Ed twice during that tour and each time extensively discussed his rig. IF he had them in his rack (which I truly belive they were in Sammys), then they were spares, or used for a specific sound.

I know for a fact that AFTER the VH3 tour, he had John Suhr mod two Marshall 100 watt MKIIs for him.

It's good to be back!
    Hey Bro, haven't seen ya in a long while, how's SOTS coming?
    Did Ed have any funk in his heads for the Balance tour then? That tone was quite different from the previous tours, to me it was cleaner, brighter, not as buzy. It could very well have been what he did with his signal after the amps, but to me the Balance tour sounded quite different then the past.

The only thing that dosn't make sense to me is I thought Sam didn't play electric guitar on that tour, just acustic for Eagles or whatever It would make sense if Ed used the 800s for that cleaner tone he had for certain songs, but you talked to Ed, what did he say?

I've always wanted to get to bottom of this one, for no other reason then his tone was so different to me, that I want to know, besides, I'm an anal [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Kamikazesheep:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kamikazesheep:

Anyone....?</font>[/QUOTE]Erm...I dont like bein' a nuisance, but if anybody knows.... [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Home, when I talked to Ed, he said that he used the 5150 heads for his overdrive tone and the 150 combos for clean. Maybe he kept the combos. . .that could contribute to the cleaner sound you heard. It's possible.

Sea Of Souls is forging ahead. We're getting ready to put out another CD, and hit the road for about 4 or 5 dates with Kings X in late May early June. I can't wait!! We've added some gear pictures to our website too. You can see my 78 JMP and Bogner 101B.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.