Register
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys. I just recently bought a Fender Deluxe Super Strat (jumbo frets, maple fingerboard, gold plated hardware, bridge pick-up activation button, translucent crimson finish...very nice). I got it slightly used (mint condition) for $325 with a gig bag. The only problem is, the genious that previously owned it took off the original gold tuners and put some black Schallers on. Granted, I would have put Schallers on there myself, but certainly not black ones. Should I change from black to gold plated Schallers? Also, are Schallers hard to take off or install? What all is involved?
    Any advice would be appriciated.

------------------
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Welcome to the Strat club! Anyhooo, yes, the previous owner did you a disservice by using black tuners on that guitar. The good news is that the tuners are simple to remove, and the new ones will retrofit nicely, assuming you get tuners of the same dimensions. Just be careful not to strip any screws; they're a bitch to get out if you do. If you're not confident in your ability to do it yourself, and assuming a direct replacement is what you buy, a tech at a shop should charge no more than 25 to switch tuners and string you up. This, however, isn't necessary, and you should have no trouble doing it yourself. If you need any Strat tricks/mods, let me know; souping up Strats is my specialty!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Abe. I do have one more question for ya. If I were to put in tuners of the same brand (Schallers) and dimensions...would the integrity or strength of the screw hole(s) be compromised or weakened? Since the screws are going directly into the wood with out any type of nut or lock washer on the other side, would they hold the tuning keys as stable as the the one that are already on there (that threaded the original screw holes)? Am I worrying about this too much?

btw, this is my 3rd Strat now.

------------------
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The original holes are probably NOT worn out by the removal/addition of screws, but there are a couple ways to be sure.

1)Use some wood filler in the holes, sand it off, and either redrill using a VERY small bit (smaller than the shaft of the screws-note, the shaft does NOT include the threads), and install the new screws in the holes. If you're gutsy, you can use the screws to drill their own holes, but this isn't for the inexperienced.

2)For a cheaper solution, and a stronger one, fill the holes with baking soda, to which you will add a very thin super glue (cyanoacrylate). This will harden greatly, but be careful with the glue--you don't want to glue yourself to the guitar. The trick here is to use the watery super glue--the 'normal' viscosity will not work. Then redrill as above.

3)Use slightly wider or longer screws, provided they don't go through the headstock but DO fit through the holes in the machines.

And your worrying is at a normal level, meaning you are bordering on neurotic. No problem--I passed neurotic a LONG time ago! That's why I have about 100 Strat tricks up my sleeve! If there's anything else you'd like to improve or maximize, feel free to ask. It's the one topic I discuss MORE than VH! Hell, I'm even 'authorized' by Fender...and I firmly believe that a)a Strat is the most versatile guitar design in existence, and b)Fender doesn't have HALF a clue as to how to improve them, or if they do, they choose not to, which disturbs me.

And I'm already plenty disturbed!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a slighty easier solution to the stripped screw problem. It's called....TOOTHPICK FROM HELL!!!

Basically, if a screw hole (on a tuner, strap button, ect) strips out, jam a a piece of a toothpick into the hole and presto...good as new. Yeah, I suppose it is the caveman solution, but it works.

------------------

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, Alchemy, you CAN use a toothpick, but come on, we gotta SAVE THE TREES!!!!!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.26.05 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the existing tuners work, I wouldn't change 'em. If you don't like the way they look, you might want to change 'em, but that's entirely a matter of personal preference. I like a f'ed up looking guitar so to me its not a problem. If you are going to replace 'em, I'd go with Sperzel tremlocks, easily the best tuners on the planet. Just MHO, YMMV.

BossTone

------------------
    Two glazed donuts and a bottle of anything...TO GO!!! - DLR