Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need you guys advice...

I'm thinking of puting some Jumbo frets on my Squire Strat. I got this notion in my head after visiting my local music store. They had an Yngwie signiture strat. So, out of curiosity, I decided to try it out. First of all, because of the scaloped fret board, I could hardly play the damn thing. Secondly, the thing has some GIANT frets on it. Do jumbos improve the sound or playability of a guitar substantially? The frets that are already on the guitar sound ok and I've always preferred medium size frets. What do you guys think?

------------------
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

[This message has been edited by Alchemy (edited September 12, 2000 at 11:59 AM).]

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jumbo frets will make it considerably easier to hammer/pull, but they make position shifting a little uncomfortable if you aren't careful. They last a long time, but can develop pits and need a good recrowning. The intonation isn't as good for 2 reasons: 1) th extra height means you can inadvertently push too hard on the string and make it go sharp, and 2) the wider surface area means less precision.

"Jumbo" generally refers to the fret's width, but jumbos are usually on the tall side. As a result, bending and vibrato is easier on jumbo frets.

Regardless, fret size is really a matter of personal taste; there are pros and cons to ALL shapes/sizes, just as there are with string gauge, pickup output, etc.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Jumbos are cool, but they have their problems. If you are heavy -handed with your fretting hand, you can easily make the guitar sound out of tune when your fretting chords. Big frets do make it easier to bend and tap and stuff, but a good re-fret is going to cost you at least $200, and your Squire probably already has medium frets anyway, so you just have to weigh the benefits. I would recommend you keep your squire the way it is, and the next guitar you get. . .get jumbo frets on it. Or buy a replacement neck with Jumbos. . .that way you could swap the necks out and go back to the original frets if you wish.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool. Thanks guys.

------------------
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost