Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight In?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok guys. Here's something I'm curious about. Being that I'm such a curious little prick and always looking for new things to try, as I know most of us(guitarists) are, I feel the need to experiment again. No need to answer if you'd rather not, but how many of you finger demons go straight into your amps, and how many use effects pedals to shape your sound?
    Also, for the guys that use pedals, what are some of them and do you use them in the loop or from your guitar right into the preamp.
    For myself, I use a Marshall head (big surprise there), Boss DD-3 delay in the loop, and an mxr flanger pedal "ocassionally" straight in. I also went back to using a Vox wah wah, after using a morley bad horsey for quite awhile. After I had a true bypass switch installed in the Vox, it sounded too good not to use.
    Any other takers? I'd like to bring home some pedals from the music store to try this weekend, and I'm wondering what some of you guys use.
    Oh yea, AVH(did you get my email?), if you tell me you use a pedal stuffed with #0000 grade steel wool I'll shit..lol..just kidding bro.. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb---no, no email in my box [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]. Damn yahoo...try to send again if u can.

I generally plug straight into the amp and run my f/x in the loop. I have a CryBaby that I haven't used in 5 years [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] !

I never cared much for pedals anyway; to me, they seem to cast a strange artifact shadow on the phase of the signal and it drives me up the wall. However, running a compressor before the amp, and squashing the sound to hell, has an interesting effect. With the right level of overdrive, and the right pedal settings, you get a swelling type of sustain where the note blossoms into a long, smooth tone. It can be noisy, but it gives your rig a whole new feel. A slow attack, a long release, and a ton of compression seems to work well. You get more sustain with less actual distortion, which is kinda nice.

Other than that, I haven't had much luck running anything before the amp. Well, sometimes I cut my cable, solder it to a hunk of #0000 steel wool, and then solder that to another cable end--mechanical fuzz! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I'll try again later today. I was thinking of trying an octavia or univibe pedal.
    I've heard some pretty interesting sounds from those, but haven't tried them through my own amp. Any guys here have any experience with them?
    It'd be interesting to open a site like HomeUnit did for songs, but do comparison tests of different pedals or amps.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Tribb, I don't exactly go straight in. . .but I definitely don't use pedals to "shape" my sound either. My sound is my guitar straight into my amp. But, I'll use some pedals on the floor for certain parts of songs. . .a little chorus here, a little octave there. I use a true bypass wah too. I also use a TS-9 to boost for solos. But as far as my "sound" goes, it's me and my Marshall (until I get my Bogner!)
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

JapeMan, a Bogner huh. That would be sweet. You ready to take out a mortgage on your house? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    What kind of chorus do you use? I use a CE-2, or I did. I love the sound of those, and it's a very early one, but although it sounds great, even when it's not on it gives a faint kind of 60 cycle whooshing sound in the background that drives me nuts. It's mainly in the high gain stage. I've tried others with the same results so I know it's not mine. I wonder if you can get a true bypass for those.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I usually dont use any pedals. I have a budda wah pedal and thats it. I think I will probaly buy a oct. or a phase 90.
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

OK. I like having effects between my guitar and the amp. I haven't figured out how to use the effects loop proficiently yet. When we play live, I set it up this way. Guitar, Crybaby, Danelectro Cool Cat chorus, DOD Flanger (cheap and good), Danelectro Dan Echo delay. I really don't notice much in the way of tone loss. The highs get slightly shaved off, but it's easy to eq back.
    In the studio, however, I go straight in, quick tune up, then cable into the amp. If there is an effect in the song I'm recording, I'll only plug into the effect used in the song.
    Univibe, yep, that's a sweet piece of hardware, got to get the expression pedal too if possible. Great Robin Trower, waterfall type tones. The other guitar player in our band uses one for a little "pepper" here and there, or as an intro/outtro to a couple of our tunes. Sounds awesome. I had a "rotovibe" for a while which sounds almost identical. The proble with the Rotovibe, and the reason I no longer have it, is that it is set up like a "wah" so that when you turn it on, it's immediately wide open, and you usually don't want it to sound so crazy effecty. The vibrato on the univibe sounds good, but the chorus is plain amazing. Vibrato, think about the Petty tune, "you got lucky" and the Chorus reminds me of some Alex Lifeson off of 2112. Sorry for the essay.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Eruption
    Last Online

Tribb, I use a CE-2 also. I've never noticed the 60-cycle whooshing in the background though. Yeah, I'm selling two of my Marshalls. I already sold my Reverend guitar, so I'm almost there! I'm keeping my other two Marshalls (a 71 100 watt super lead, and a 77 50 watt JMP). I just gotta have that Bogner Ecstacy.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I probably hear the whoosh off the CE-2 due to my finely tuned ears...LOL yea right.
    It's probably my amp. I notice it more in the loop than on the floor, but it's always there. I do love the sound of it though and I got myself thinking, I'm gonna see about putting some kind of true bypass on it this weekend.
    Jape, I wish I had the cash right now, boy I'd like to take one of those marshalls off your hands. Looks like you're gonna get the ecstacy after all you lucky prick. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Do I seem envious? Is it that obvious? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Strato, I liked your description of the univibe. So much so that I'm gonna take one home for the weekend and pretend I'm Robin Trower, or Jimi..lol
    I think Stevie Ray used one too didn't he, or was that a rotovibe?
    You should utilize your effects loop more. You'll find by putting your reverb, delay, and chorus through the loop you have much better control over the sound and it blends better. I don't use reverb anymore, finding a good delay sounds fine, but when I used all that stuff on the floor there was a very fine line between not enough and suddenly washed out in reverb or delay. I finally started to use the loop properly and it really does make a difference. AVH has the right idea. For things like flange, phase, wah wah, overdrive..etc.
    the floor is better though.
    JapeMan, when you guys are playing live, do you use the effects the same way you do in the studio? I can hear some of the effects on your tunes and it sounds like you know how to use them.
    By the way, any of you guys that haven't already, check out JapeMan's site at www.seaofsouls.com It's a well done site, and there's a no. of good tunes from their albums you can listen to. Check out some of those timing changes.
    HomeUnit's great at experimentation too, but unfortunately the poor guy was dragged off to Cabo St. Lucas and won't be back for a few days yet. Gee, if you're reading this I feel sorry for you too HomeUnit. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
    Looks like I'll be busy with the univibe and the soldering gun this weekend.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I use a Digitech Processor. I don't care for the straight sound of my amp, I get a betteer sound through the processor. I don't use many of the effects on it though, I use it more for shaping my sound, and quick easy access to different sounds like clean, distorted, reverb, etc.
    I am awesome

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unchained, what digitech do you use, and do you use it straight in or through the loop?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

RP100, and straight in [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Eruption
    Last Online

Thanks Tribb. When we play live, we try to use the effects the same way we recorded them. Sometimes, when we record the effects they come from a different processor, but if a part has chorus on the record, then I'll use my chorus pedal live. The one thing we definitely do not do is overuse effects. I like to use them to accent certain parts. Thanks again for your kind words. We just did a showcase at CBGBs last week, and all things considered. . .we should have a record deal sometime around August! You can also check us out at www.rockstar2k.com. We're one of the featured artists.
    www.facebook.com/revery

Eruption
    Last Online

http://www.rockstar2k.com/

There are more audio samples and pictures there too.
    www.facebook.com/revery

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Les Paul + Bad Horsie + Tube screamer + Marshall. I run Boss delay through the effects loop and use the tube screamer for a lead boost. Simple and sweet.