On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this topic may be a bit out of place for a VH Guitar Room, but what the hey. Excellent music, technique, and equipment are stuff we all appreciate and chat about and this fits the bill.

My Dad and I are going to see Russell Malone tonight at the Dayton Art Institute. Will post the review afterwards.

He is a traditional Jazz player that has worked with Harry Connick Jr. and Diana Krall. I've only heard the latest Krall CD and he really compliments her voice with beautiful full chords and tasty lines. With Valentine's Day around the corner, put on a Diana Krall CD with your honey, light some candles and you're in.

It'll be interesting to see what he does with a quartet. I was fortunate to see Joe Pass a long time ago, and that will be my frame of reference for tonight.

Peace
    GH4L

[ January 26, 2002 at 01:13 AM: Message edited by: gtrhead4life ]</p>
    "Choose Wisely"

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

wow bro, I LOVE jazz, it's my first passion. I would've loved to have seen that.

I like the progressive stuff myself, but I anything in the vein of jazz I love! cool to here of others liking the artform.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nice! I'm a big jazz fan myself. From bop to more comtemporary jazz/fusion/jamband type of stuff. Stuff like Monk, Miles, Coltrane and Herbie to Medeski Martin & Wood, Charlie Hunter and Soulive....just to name a few. Good stuff!
    "If at first you don't understand Van Halen's music, crank up the volume."
    -Washington Post, April, 1980

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, ( sorry for the long post )
    Overall a great show, just one minor drawback.
    Here's the good, better, and ugly.

Mr. Malone is the best chord melody player I've heard since Joe Pass. Beautiful tone. He was playing what looked to be a D'Angelico reissue through a Fender Twin Reverb Blackface reissue. (Kind of an odd choice for Jazz, but it worked).

He did a couple obscure Jazz ballads ( Remind Me and The Bad and the Beautiful).
    Familiar tunes included The Carptenter's We've Only Just Begun, and The Bee Gee's How Deep is Your Love. I could have listened to him do these types of tunes all night. You could have heard a pin drop when he played this stuff. Fingerstyle, chord plucked harmonics, all mixed in with complete mastery of chords and melody.

The quartet smoked on the upbeat, bop oriented stuff. He reminded me of early George Benson.

Individual solos in the up tunes, the pianist, and drummer slightly outshined the guitar improvisations, but all were "on". The upright bass player took only one solo, tasty, and kept the others groovin the rest of the time.
    When there were "conversations" betweeen guitar/drums, guitar/piano is where the best solos, playing, and fun for all were had.
    As a note, it was the first time the pianist played with the quartet, and everyone was impressed at his abilities.

The only drawback, for the set ending number, he did a strange thing. He said I can't come to Dayton, OH without playing the blues. Then he turns the treble up to ten, and starts mixing in tasteful blues licks, with show off, cute crap. The band kicked in, and ran through a lot of different blues timings, shuffles, and licks, but some of it was just noise.
    Some of the crowd liked it, I guess, but I look over and my dad's got his fingers in his ears.
    This went on for about 6 minutes, with an ending of feedback and quotes of Purple Haze. Truly bizarre.

They then received a standing O, and then Russell came back by himself and did another short beautiful, slow tune for the only encore. He sang along with his chords and had a pretty good voice. Don't know the tune.

To sum up, he's 38 (young by Jazz standards) and if he lets the music work the magic and cuts the cute "entertaining" stuff, ( sounds like a line we've heard from Mr EVH before ) He will be heard from for along time by hopefully many, many people.

Peace
    GH4L

[ January 27, 2002 at 04:00 AM: Message edited by: gtrhead4life ]</p>
    "Choose Wisely"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor