On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok I have been playing guitar for almost two years. I have really improved, Iam pretty good. Everyone that saw me played were amazed, band members etc.There are a lot of guitarist out there that say they are the shit but they are usually just ok anyway enough of that. Im 16 and I plan on making playing guitar a profession-hell you only live once why settle for anything less than your dreams!!!!!!!!No regrets!!!I play a wide variety- I really love satch and vai stuff, I can play alot of it with only having trouble with some complicated pieces.Iam not planning on being a solo guitarist like vai etc. I want to have a band that is like some out there now-but only tieing in many musical styles. My band will be a mix between alice in chains and some heavy blues. I recently bought malmsteens collection cd. WOW!!!! Its great I found something that is a challenge to play finally and Im going to learn some classical stuff. What other guitarist do you guys use for practice to help get better.Shit i wrote to much mumbo jumbo....sorry guys
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

Good luck man, it's a tough road if you want to make a career of it.

Yngwie is good, but that boy is eternally trapped in a 1985 time warp.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea Brett's right. Malmsteen is incredible at what he does, but after 10 or 15 minutes your brain can't process all the notes he's throwing at you. He's basically playing scales at warp speed set to music.
    If you go back a no. of threads someone asked what everyone's top 5 guitarists were. Go back till you find that thread and look at all the names. Try to listen to as many of them as you can. Maybe you can still download some of there stuff off of napster and then make up your mind.
    And don't forget that Vai and Satriani were Berkley graduates as well as Satriani being a teacher, and instructing a lot of well known guitarists.
    Getting a good teacher to help you out a bit wouldn't hurt either.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

EVH, when you said you had gotten an Yngwie cd, and then went on to say you are gonna learn some classical stuff, did yuo mean Malmsteen? There IS a difference. Yngwie has simply taken a very SMALL number of 'classical' idioms and fused them into rock, but he is FAR from being classical.

If you were to study classical guitar, it wouldn't sound like Yngwie. Yngwie just happens to play a lot of harmonic minor scales and a ton of major, minor, and diminished arpeggios at high speeds. They sound 'classical' since that is where those devices are most commonly heard, but they are only a small piece of the picture.

In general, when dealing with Classical music, the really fast stuff that gets played is often BACKGROUND music; ornamentation, NOT the 'real' melody. Yngwie just takes these things and puts them in the forefront. Yes, there ARE pieces (usually solo pieces written as show-stoppers or training pieces) that focus more on these fast scales and arpeggios, but they still adhere to a formal structure and purpose. That is quite different from Yngwie's use of 'classical licks' in a heavy rock context.

Learning some of his moves is a GREAT exercise and study in harmonic minor scales and basic triad arpeggios, with the 7th appearing in the diminshed chords. Playing these things will help your chops and your fretboard knowledge, but they won't make you a classical player.

Just wanted to clear that up!

It's not that Yngwie is bad, but as mentioned before, he is stuck in a time warp and keeps playing the EXACT same things year after year. (after year after year...) So, don't invest lots of money in his CD's since they are all basically the same.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

You might want to start by changing your name, since there's already an "Edward Van Halen" out there. Most people probably haven't heard of him, but he's got some talent, and I think he's good enough to make it one day. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sorry, when the impulse to be an idiot hits, I gotta run with it. Good luck to you my friend, sounds like you've got your eye on the prize. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Good luck following your dreams, dude. We need more original and creative musicians out there...

If you're looking for other guitarists to get into, I suggest listening to several "players' players": Steve Morse, Allan Holdsworth, Eric Johnson, Phil Keaggy, Danny Gatton, and John Petrucci.

Here's a shameless plug: give Guitar Masters Radio a listen, too. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] You might find several guitarists on there that might be of interest to you. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Actually, if you want to improve your guitar playing for rock and roll, find not only some other incredible guitar players to listen to, but other types of music to listen to. Throw in some Bach, Beethoven etc., and get a "feel" for classical music. Throw in some Miles Davis and get some Jazz "feel". The more types of music you listen to, the greater the variety of influences you have, the more complex and rounded your sound will be. My instructor told me that if I wanted to be a better guitar player, listen to Miles Davis on trumpet, and he's right, that dude is amazing, and it's helped. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.