Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

"They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got some questions on some of the different techniques the Ed uses.

1. Mean Street -Intro- (I can't get that harmonic tapping down, or the whale-like call in the intro's end)

2. Women in Love -intro- (same as above)

3. Dance the Night Away -break- (same as above)

4. You're No Good -solo- (the part where it sounds like he's doing some sort of backwards rake or sweep, also seen in the Mean Street Live video)

5. Stompin 8H -intro- (the whale-like calls...same technique used in Mean Street?)

6. Poundcake -solo- (more harmonic tapping)

Those are prime examples of Eddie technique that I cannot seem to find any info about executing or practicing on. Someone help me out! Also if there are any other techniques that im missing here besides the obvious two-handed tapping, let me know, I want to study all of the playing styles of the great one.
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:58 AM
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

Let me see what I can answer here, guys can feel free add on my suggestions:

Originally posted by 5150atomic:

1. Mean Street -Intro- (I can't get that harmonic tapping down, or the whale-like call in the intro's end)
    Well basically you have to fret the notes normally and with your right hand tap the actual fret (the metal) to make the harmonic ring. So while you're normally fretting say the A string at the 7th fret, you should be tapping the 12th fret on the A string at the same time. Quick explanation someone can add on to.

Now the end I think is just mostly feedback after you get the last tapped harmonic ringing, it's not the whale/elephant call thing.

For this you actually have to fret the chord, say for example the Major E figure on the 9th fret. With the chord fretted normally, you then tap on the frets an octave up, which would be at the 21st fret. Basically you are playing an arpeggio by tapping an octave higher while fretting the chord normally. Confused? Probably. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Same basic idea as above but this time you actually have to tap the entire chord pattern an octave up, so you'll have to angle your finger so that you can tap three or four notes at one time. So let's say you are playing that E Major chord on the 9th fret and you're fretting the B, G, and D strings...well you'll have to tap at the 21st fret the same B, G, and D with your finger to produce that calypso-like sound. It takes a little practice but it's not too hard, just have to work to make it chime clearly.

4. You're No Good -solo- (the part where it sounds like he's doing some sort of backwards rake or sweep, also seen in the Mean Street Live video)
    This technique is used on "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" too. Basically what you do is hammer between two notes on the same fret, say the 5th and 7th fret on the A string. At the same time, turn your palm towards the neck and lightly touch it on the strings and it slowly move it up the strings while hammering those other two notes at the same time. Again, quick explanation, someone can expound on it I'm sure. But it's not very hard to do, just remember to not push the strings hard with the side of your palm, you want the harmonics to ring.

5. Stompin 8H -intro- (the whale-like calls...same technique used in Mean Street?)
    I'll have to listen to this again, I am not sure what he does. I think it is different than just feedback like "Mean Street," I think he does his famous elephant call technique. Someone can probably explain the way to do it, there are several different.

Same exact thing as he does in "Women In Love" and "Dance The Night Away." Fret the note normally, tap directly onto the fret to produce the harmonic.

Ok that's just a quick explanation, guys feel free to help out better. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Brett thanks alot bro cause i'm workin on Women In Love right now actually and i've got the whole song down except for the intro. So thanks for your help. I have a question though for anybody..what effects do you think i should use for the intro? Right now i'm just using my clean channel my reverb and my chorus pedal. It sounds pretty cool so far but i dont know if i should add some delay or slight distortion to it. Any suggestions would really help. thanks [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by SuckaInA3Piece:
    Brett thanks alot bro cause i'm workin on Women In Love right now actually and i've got the whole song down except for the intro. So thanks for your help. I have a question though for anybody..what effects do you think i should use for the intro? Right now i'm just using my clean channel my reverb and my chorus pedal. It sounds pretty cool so far but i dont know if i should add some delay or slight distortion to it. Any suggestions would really help. thanks [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Go with a small amount of distortion to help your notes sustain. I would also through on a little delay for good measure [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Brett:
    Let me see what I can answer here, guys can feel free add on my suggestions:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 5150atomic:

Well basically you have to fret the notes normally and with your right hand tap the actual fret (the metal) to make the harmonic ring. So while you're normally fretting say the A string at the 7th fret, you should be tapping the 12th fret on the A string at the same time. Quick explanation someone can add on to.

Now the end I think is just mostly feedback after you get the last tapped harmonic ringing, it's not the whale/elephant call thing.

For this you actually have to fret the chord, say for example the Major E figure on the 9th fret. With the chord fretted normally, you then tap on the frets an octave up, which would be at the 21st fret. Basically you are playing an arpeggio by tapping an octave higher while fretting the chord normally. Confused? Probably. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Same basic idea as above but this time you actually have to tap the entire chord pattern an octave up, so you'll have to angle your finger so that you can tap three or four notes at one time. So let's say you are playing that E Major chord on the 9th fret and you're fretting the B, G, and D strings...well you'll have to tap at the 21st fret the same B, G, and D with your finger to produce that calypso-like sound. It takes a little practice but it's not too hard, just have to work to make it chime clearly.

This technique is used on "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" too. Basically what you do is hammer between two notes on the same fret, say the 5th and 7th fret on the A string. At the same time, turn your palm towards the neck and lightly touch it on the strings and it slowly move it up the strings while hammering those other two notes at the same time. Again, quick explanation, someone can expound on it I'm sure. But it's not very hard to do, just remember to not push the strings hard with the side of your palm, you want the harmonics to ring.

I'll have to listen to this again, I am not sure what he does. I think it is different than just feedback like "Mean Street," I think he does his famous elephant call technique. Someone can probably explain the way to do it, there are several different.

Same exact thing as he does in "Women In Love" and "Dance The Night Away." Fret the note normally, tap directly onto the fret to produce the harmonic.

Ok that's just a quick explanation, guys feel free to help out better. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Wow Brett. I'm impressed. I thought you basically shut down threads and had spam wars with folks from the DLArmy Kidding! But it does seem like there are fewer musicians on this board than non-musicians, not that there's anything worng with that.... Just an observation. However, you're doing a helluva job. Can I get a Hell Ya?!? [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ November 12, 2002, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks alot Brett, you had me doing Women in Love in minutes! Still having trouble getting the You're No Good solo technique though, thanks for the tips! Also, does anyone have an accurate tab for the Poundcake solo? There is a Poundcake tab out there but there is no solo transcribed.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yeah, Brett's covered things very well. I'm going to add a few things, since he said people may want to expand a little bit. [img]smile.gif[/img]

1.) Mean Street intro:

Each time Ed slaps the harmonics at the twelfth fret, he adds a slap with his left hand, which not only deadens the strings so that the tapped notes ring out too long, it also adds the counter "notes" to give it the syncopated rhythm.

And yes, the siren-like sound you hear ring out at the end of the intro is feedback generated from the tail end of a tapped section. Imagine a double stop on the B and G strings, both at the fourth fret, and then together at the seventh fret. You can play the passage out jsut with the fretted notes to get the rythym and hear what it sounds like. Once you get comfortable with it that way, try tapping the same phrase (with your fret hand still playing at the 4th and 7th frets) twelve frets higher. ed had that Marshall absolutely CRANKED to get that feedback, and the sustain at that level allowed him to alter the geberated feedback with the whammy bar.

2.}Women In Love :

Ed actually doubled this part on the recording, and if you want to get the part to sound just like the record, add a short delay with one repeat, as well as some reverb.

3.)Dance The Night Away:

A really cool part of this song that I didn't pay much attention to until later was the tapped melody Ed overdubbed during the chorus. Same chord figures as the rythym guitar part, except youplay them with a clean tone and reverb, with the chords broken up into individual notes. Again, something that Ed had the advantage of being able to crank his amp in the studio to get the sustain for the notes to ring out.

4.) You're No Good:

Brett's got the technique described to a T. A good way to practice this (and Ed does this in most of the songs where he uses the technique. i.e. You're No Good, Sucker In a Three-Piece, Somebody Get Me A Doctor) is to do a pulloff sequence on the G or D string, pulling off 4th fret, 2nd fret, open string repeatedly while you "drag" your palm like Brett described. Like he said , light pressure from the palm is crucial. Also helps to make your pulloffs as strong as possible.

Not familiar with the Stompin 8H passage you're talking about myself. Good luck with that one.

As far as ed's Poundcake solo goes, he pulls out a lot of his tricks one after the other, including tapped harmonics 5 and 7 frets above the notes that you are fretting, another staple technique of Ed's other than tapping 12 frets above the note. I'll see if I can round up some TAB for you on that one.

Hope my descriptions weren't too heady and manage to help you out a bit. Shoot me an email if I can explain what I was saying any clearer for you. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention about the tapped intro to Mean Street -

It works best if you roll your volume knob on the guitar back to 7 or 8. it helps keep the other strings from ringing out and making things sound sloppy.

Although Ed's guitar techs/roadies usually worked his effects punch-ins for him, there are instances live where you can see Ed actually adjust his volume. tripoutski and I noticed recently while watching a tape of the VHIII tour in Australia that Ed actually punches what I would guess is an A/B box to cut his volume back at points.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

All good stuff, the only thing I'd add would be the use of a Phaser or Flanger on the Women In Love intro. You get the deeper sweep than you do with the chorus and the hamonics sing out a little more.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to confuse the issue but, on the Mean Street intro I've gotten very authenthic sounds by playing on the 12th fret board instead of the metal ie: slightly fret the notes instead of pulling out natural harmonics...if you 'roll' your pointy finger a bit so that the high E string sounds just before the B string does it sounds pretty good.
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to confuse the issue but, on the Mean Street intro I've gotten very authenthic sounds by playing on the 12th fret board instead of the metal ie: slightly fret the notes instead of pulling out natural harmonics...if you 'roll' your pointy finger a bit so that the high E string sounds just before the B string does it sounds pretty good.
    I'm not so sure that Ed uses natural harmonics here, I think it's more the 'slap' that gives it this sound.
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the tips, I've improved already on most, although im having trouble making the tapped harmonics really sing, mostly on Women in Love. I've tried to add some reverb and slight delay and such, but theyre still very dull sounding. Im guessing it's in the hands. Also, a Poundcake solo tab would be greatly appreciated!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Maybe this will help...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by JMJ:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    Maybe this will help...
    now that is fuckin cool [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

JMJ
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks! I ripped it from the diamond dave forums... I'm pretty proud of it myself [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ November 14, 2002, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    Maybe this will help...
    now that is fuckin cool [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw