Register
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

was up guys.finally back with a new comp and some how got my modem installed(still dont know how i did it)....anyway ive finally got some money saved up and i want to get a decent half stack or close.......i have close to 1500.00. i was thinking of the mesa single rectifier with a marshall cab or genz benz 2x12 cab. i dont think i need the dual theres only a few sounds i need. whats the differnce between a dual and single?.......a modded marshall is still on my mind too. i think im gonna stick to 50 watts too 100 is just to much. im still playing the deftones type of music but i still like to get the halen sound too (cant help it).....i can elaborate more on what im looking for but id like to hear what you guys think. now wheres tribb at?
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb is definitely more qualified to answer this than I am...

However, I'll give some input...

From what I can gather, the single employs independent EQ controls for both channels, while the dual utilizes more options like "Variac" type controls, and other shit, from which I gather, are all options to either enhance or control your dynamics in more depth...

Granted I am no expert on mesa boogie amps by any means, just offering my opinion...

I must say, if you went with a single, I don't think there's a soul out there that would deem you an unwise man
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

thanks bro. like i said i dont need a ton of differnt sounds. hopefully tribb or homeunit could shed some light.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't had the chance to check out the single rectos yet myself, but a good friend of mine sells the snot out of 'em at his music store and says it's a great amp for more "modern", scooped-mid chunk as are the dual rectos, so you probably couldn't go wrong with either choice. Bear in mind though, that you're probably going to drop around $1200 just for the head with a Mesa (although cash in hand talks... loudly!). 5150s, especially the 5150IIs, also have balls for days and can usually be had for a few hundred less, so you may want to check them out as well. I've also had the chance to check out the Carvin Legacy (Vai) amp, and it really kicks, and is a GREAT deal, but you might have a hard time finding one to check out for yourself as they usually pretty much only sell them at their few direct stores and online.

Probably the best advice you could get though is not to make up your mind without actually playing through the amp with your own guitar first, because everyone's taste in tone is highly subjective and may not necessarily agree with your own ideal of tone. It's important to know how a rig will sound with your own axe, so when you get the dinero together, take your guitar with you and try out several amps before you drop the hammer, and don't let anyone else pressure you into anything you're not 100% sure about.

Check 'em all out, shop around and have a blast!

Good luck!

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Dude, I have the answer to your question, if you want the best thing out there, check out Top Hat amps. Just go to the web site. These things are AWESOME!. Our lead guitar player got a 50 watt Top Hat Emplexador head, and it blows my JCM-900 Dual reverb 100watt amp out of the water. With my amp on 10 and his on 6, the Top Hat is so much louder than mine it's rediculous. And the tone is incredible. It's got two settings, one sounds like the old Plexi's and the other is more like the modern Marshall amps. If I may recommend a perfect accompanyment to the Top Hat, it would be Tone Tubby speakers. Made by A Brown Soun, these are so awesome, it's scary. Check out the websites man. All this stuff is hand made in America. All Top Hat amps are soldered point to point, and not a circuit board in the whole thing. Check it out!
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you need first hand info on the mesa, Homeunit's the one to ask.
    He's spent quite a bit of time researching and trying them.
    I'm still into Marshalls, and my modded head does pretty well everything I need for rock.
    For blues I still use a Fender 30, but we've been down that road before.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by nobozos:
    Dude, I have the answer to your question, if you want the best thing out there, check out Top Hat amps. Just go to the web site. These things are AWESOME!. Our lead guitar player got a 50 watt Top Hat Emplexador head, and it blows my JCM-900 Dual reverb 100watt amp out of the water. With my amp on 10 and his on 6, the Top Hat is so much louder than mine it's rediculous. And the tone is incredible. It's got two settings, one sounds like the old Plexi's and the other is more like the modern Marshall amps. If I may recommend a perfect accompanyment to the Top Hat, it would be Tone Tubby speakers. Made by A Brown Soun, these are so awesome, it's scary. Check out the websites man. All this stuff is hand made in America. All Top Hat amps are soldered point to point, and not a circuit board in the whole thing. Check it out!
    TopHat's are incredible amps, and I'd love to have a 50w Emplexidor, but Rick said he had about $1500 to spend on amp and speakers and you'd be lucky to get a Emplexidor head just for that. But if you got the cash the Emplexidor is THE amp if you want to have vintage and modern Marshall tone in one package.

I was saving for an Emplexidor, but I think I've been sold on the Budda Super Drive 30 for the tones and features I'm looking for, and the Budda is considerably less expensive. Check out a Budda Super Drive if you get the chance Rick, its not as over the top as the Mesa's but its a tone monster with quality build for a great price.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

thanks bros.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Hey Rick, welcome back!

I've not tried the single recto, just the Duals and Triples.

From what I know of your playing and influences, I'd highly recomend spending a weekend with a Mesa. Rent it if you have to, but give them a rip with your gear. The Dual is a real versitile amp, tones, and options out the wazoo. The triple is even more versitile. They're an amp you need to get used to, cause if you sneeze on the knobs, you can totally change your tone.

I could write a page about them, but the website gives a great rundown on them, and outside of trying them for yourself, I don't know what to say.

laminar flow?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

PANAMA
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rick, try out a Marshal AVT 150 full stack. For about $1,600.00 you get a full sized Marshal stack with a great sound. This amp has a tube pre-amp and a solid state power amp.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

thanks again guys. from what i know the single recto only has a solid state rectifier and is 50 watts. it also doesnt have the "variac" type of control the dual and triples do. what exactly does that do?
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi