Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Unreleased Box Set, Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

'Just curious if anyone has either of these on the computer; 'if they're happy with it, etc.
    I've read some of the reviews & e-pinions, but as with much of the net, there's a huge sense of disengenuineness.....

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I have "Guitar Studio 2". Its pretty good, no real complaints. My old computer had a shit soundcard and it never really worked with that but it works fine on my new computer. I was actually suprised at how good the guitar sounds. I was expecting to get some computerised processed sound but it sounds nice and natural. It comes with effects too which is cool. They are pretty good for a computer program but they aren't the best out there (understandably). I bought it because the alternative was about 10 times the price! They are fantastic value for money - you can hardly go wrong!
    RD<br /><br />"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)<br /><br />"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, thanks RD !

I liked the looks of 2 myself & downloaded the demo off of KaZaA awhile back....'loved the rack unit & ability to change "cabinets & heads", all on the desktop. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Where do you get the jack adapter to the PC ? Music store ? Radio shack ?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I must have an older version because what you were saying about changing cabinets and heads etc is new to me ( [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] ). A friend of mine got a version after me and I though it was the same but he can do HEAPS more stuff that I can. Oh well, its still pretty good.

yeah, any electronics store has the adapter (from 1/4" to 1/8") but from memory I think they actually include one in the package - ie it comes in the box. Then you just plug 'er in and away you go!

Dammit, I might have to look into getting an upgrade to the new version - sounds like there's plenty of cool upgrades that have been done since I got mine!
    RD<br /><br />"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)<br /><br />"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have Calkwalk...actually the newer version called Sonar. I think its great for home recording. It can handle anything I need to do and then some.
    "If at first you don't understand Van Halen's music, crank up the volume."
    -Washington Post, April, 1980

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm still using Cakewalk Professional 6...still does what i need it to do. if i just need MIDI, i still have my Alesis MMT-8 lying around...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Romeo Delight:
    yeah, any electronics store has the adapter (from 1/4" to 1/8") but from memory I think they actually include one in the package - ie it comes in the box. Then you just plug 'er in and away you go!
    That's all I need to know, lol ! 'Very cool, thanks !

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use Guitar Tracks 2 and I really like it; very easy to use as I'd never used that type of recording software before. Here's a link to the version I use:

GT 2

I believe the one your talking about with the advanced features (cabinet heads, etc) is "Guitar Tracks Pro" and is the newest version. I have not tried it but I hear it's good as well; alot more features.
    Here's a link to that one: GT Pro

GT2 is cheap and really easy to edit with which was my initial concern. I haven't had any major complaints or problems with the software either (buggy, etc.). Every so often I get dropouts but no biggie, don't lose anything. I don't really use the drum tracks but they are usable and the tuner is ok, as well, but you get it in there for such a low price.
    The only thing I didn't like was the built in file converter only lets you turn 10 (I believe)tracks into MP3's (wav's are unlimited) before asking you to purchase the full Pyro MP3 thing (I thought that was kinda lame on their part), to convert more. Of course there's lots of other free programs out there to do this (musicmatch, etc.) but they could have given the full version built into the program. Otherwise, I enjoy the program and it doesn't get in the way of what your actually supposed to be doing and that's recording. [img]smile.gif[/img]

P.S.- You do get 1 adapter with each program.

[ May 31, 2002, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Motown Maniac ]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Motown, thanks !

'Heard about the limitations with 'Pro, but for what I'm doin', this is just the shit ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks to all for the feedback

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

5150 from LWAN....
    Last Online

08.13.16 @ 12:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I checked out this software and it looks pretty cool. So I downloaded the trial version (which is good for 30 days), but I can't for the life of me get the thing to work. I have followed the Getting Started guide and can't get any kind of signal to show up on the track 1 meter.

I have followed ALL of the instructions as well as the troubleshooting section in detail. I can't figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong!!!!

I have a fairly recent sound card (SBLive!) and have tried every jack on my sound card. There are 4 jacks:

1/Speaker
    2/Speaker
    Microphone
    Digital Out
    Speaker

Can't call tech support either because you have to be a registered user. [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] </font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> </pre>[/QUOTE]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by cf:

I have followed ALL of the instructions as well as the troubleshooting section in detail. I can't figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong!!!!

I have a fairly recent sound card (SBLive!) and have tried every jack on my sound card. There are 4 jacks:

1/Speaker
    2/Speaker
    Microphone
    Digital Out
    Speaker

I don't know if this will help or not, but check these things out:

On the mix(er) screen under each track is the word "input"; directly underneath that is a button that after you click it, will give you options on what type of input to select. Choose one of the wave in's (whatever you want) and then you'll see the option for "Record control"; Click that and it will open up a record control screen where you choose what option you hooked your cord into on your soundcard. If your using the "line in" choose/select that box under that heading, if microphone, etc. Also check the "volume control" in the same section to make sure your mike or line in volume is not turned all the way down. The directions don't go to much into this and I had some trouble at first myself. After this, you have to actually select the red "Record" button to record or see the volume level lines (I believe). You should see lines then and it will record.
    Hopefully this makes some sort of sense. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

5150 from LWAN....
    Last Online

08.13.16 @ 12:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MM,

Thank you for the advice. You know, I tried everything you suggested but to no avail. I have tried every input on my sound card with every combination of settings in the 'Record Control' window. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

By the way, does this need to be an amplified signal? I'm just going straight from my electric guitar into the soundcard. This should work right, because the software has options for effects and different amps?

This sucks, I really would like to check out this software, I guess I will have to pay the 50 bucks and call tech support.

CF [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

CF,
    I believe the amplification and effects can only be added (and heard) after you record something (you highlight the area you recorded and choose the option to add whatever you want to it); I do not believe (and I may be wrong, but have never heard it this way) it is realtime sounds (like a processor). Still, you should at least hear your unprocessed guitar (clean sound) being lined in through your speakers if your input is being registered by the computer and soundcard/input options. I have issues with the line in on my computer working with the program (at times) but my mic input (processor going into the mic in option) always is reliable (run my processor into it).
    You may want to first check talking into a regular computer mic through the soundcard and through your speakers before putting the program on and if that works, your guitar should work (whether mic'ed or straight in) as long as you set the "mic" as the input in the options. But remember it will only be a clean (unamped) sound unless you run the mic/line in input through a processor or an amp.
    It can be frustrating till you get it going, but hope any of this helps out.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have Guitar Tracks Pro and I have no complaints. As far as the recording quality, it's the same as Guitar Tracks 2, it just gives you more tracks (32) and some more effects and revalver. Motown is right though, even with the revalver, you have to record a dry signal and run the revalver after you've recorded the dry guitar. I just run a line out of my Cybertwin, Pod, or mic'ed amp and don't bother with the revalver, although it doesn't sound too bad, it's just too much of a bother to run dry.

Oh yeah, why is Motown making so much sense? It's quite frightening.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't worry. I'll blow it.