Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which is more important to you and why?
    Amazing technique or tons of feel (or heart or soul or whatever you choose to call it).
    And don't say BOTH!
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And don't say BOTH!
    One's not much good without the other.
    Feel is very important to get your emotion across to an audience, but if you don't have the technique to pull it off it'll tend to sound nothing like what you envision in your head, and usually sloppy. The audience picks up on that pretty quick.
    I don't mean technique necessarily like Steve Vai, or Malmsteen, although that's fine, but good enough to be able to play what comes into your head without just playing stuff that your hands are able to carry off with no practice.
    Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Hendrix didn't have Vai or Van Halen's ability to fly across the neck, but didn't need it cause they were very good at expressing themselves musically, and had more than enough technique to carry it off. Both were extremely talented players as far as I'm concerned.
    I've jammed with a no. of guys who pick up their guitars now and then, and play like crap, passing it off by saying they play with "feeling", and ignoring technique.
    On the other hand I've jammed with speed demons too, ignoring feeling for complex fast runs, which doesn't say that everyone who plays fast doesn't have feeling.
    There are a no. of well known players who can fly across the neck, but still take the time to put some real emotion into their passages.
    It's nice to get a middle ground and work from there, whatever your musical taste.
    Bottom line, find the runs that let you express yourself, then practice till everything's smooth.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I like what Clapton said once about wanting to find that ONE note that will make you weep. Speed does not equil feeling. You can play a million notes a second, & thats pretty cool & sounds impressive.. but it's what you can DO with those notes that will grab an audience.
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    One's not much good without the other.
    I agree completely (that's why I love EVH's playing so much - he combines the two perfectly). You don't have to pick one or the other, just which one is more important to you. Would you rather watch/listen to a guy who may not be a technical virtuoso, but plays with more passion than all the speed demons combined, or a guy who's technique is by far the best you've ever seen/heard, but he's missing the emotional boat?
    I've always leaned towards the feel side. I would rather listen to Angus Young than Yngwie, or Jimmy Page than Satriani. Substance over style, not the other way around - IMO.

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

....I fight the guitar 4 tone..always did..i like that reckless, but landing on your feet element..ed taught me that
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by P1:
    or Jimmy Page than Satriani. Substance over style, not the other way around - IMO.
    Intresting choice P1. I've always felt that Satch was one of the few technical monsters who totally has feel. Have listen to Rubina, or Flying In a Blue Dream, that stuff reeks of feel to me.

I've alvway had the attitude that technique is the tool that helps you express your feelings and emotions. Like tribb said, one facilitates the other.

I really don't care for the majority of the shred monsters that became famous during the late 80's early 90's, all chops and no feel or personal style. These days some of my favorite players are Jeff Beck, David Gilmour, BB King, Mark Knofler. I really love the way these guys can say what they want without relying on tons of technical knowledge.

Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Agree with all of the above, but really think that technique has to be mastered before you can add feel to it.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by kpl:
    Agree with all of the above, but really think that technique has to be mastered before you can add feel to it.
    Oh, so true. Guitar is a language. The more you know the better you can communicate your feelings. One of my favorite guitarists is Lyndsay Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac. He's got the technical chops but is a minimalist. Same with Andy Summers, who was a guitar teacher. Everybody's different so how they approach the instrument will be unique once they get past a certain point in their journey.

I think it was Joe Pass or Stanley Clark who said "Learn as much as you can and then forget it"
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why the hell can't you have "BOTH"?! Who says they have to be mutually exclusive? Satch has tons of technique and incredible "feel", so does Eric Johnson (when he's not trying too hard!), so do guys like Steve Morse, Tony MacAlpine, Andy Timmons, Michael Schenker, Steve Vai (when he wants to...), Jason Becker, Michael Lee Firkins and about 50 other people I could name including the guy who is the perfect blend of technique, emotion and songwriter, Edward Van Halen.

This has always been one of the most ignorant musical arguments I've ever heard, and when you hear from one extreme or the other you can bet that if it's somebody saying that chops don't count, he's probably a two-bit HACK who can barely stumble his way around a pentatonic scale. Likewise, if it's some shred-weenie claiming that only those who can play the hungarian minor scale with their feet have a clue, you can bet that he's a mindless, boring, metronome zombie scale-machine without a musical bone in his body!

Think about it, how many truly great players have you ever heard even get into this stupid debate? Music is an artform, and as such is probably about as subjective a concept as you could discuss, but to damn something simply because it's... "technical" is pure ignorance, just as it's equally ignorant to damn something for NOT being technical "enough"! All I have to say is that if you subscribe to any one of the two extremist viewpoints, you're missing out on so much of what makes music such a religious experience for so many of us, and the awesome variety that makes life worth living to the fullest!

It's all good folks... whether it's Muddy Waters rippin' your heart out with a sweet bend on a tune like "Screaming and Crying", or Steve Vai melting the frets off on "For the Love of God", it all makes the hairs on my arms stand up and gives me the inspiration to practice and hell... just to fuckin' PLAY!

Close-minded people suck...

SBS

[ March 14, 2002 at 03:50 PM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]</p>
    What, me, worry?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Originally posted by SirBrownSound:
    Why the hell can't you have "BOTH"?! Who says they have to be mutually exclusive? Satch has tons of technique and incredible "feel", so does Eric Johnson (when he's not trying too hard!), so do guys like Steve Morse, Tony MacAlpine, Andy Timmons, Michael Schenker, Steve Vai (when he wants to...), Jason Becker, Michael Lee Firkins and about 50 other people I could name including the guy who is the perfect blend of technique, emotion and songwriter, Edward Van Halen.

This has always been one of the most ignorant musical arguments I've ever heard, and when you hear from one extreme or the other you can bet that if it's somebody saying that chops don't count, he's probably a two-bit HACK who can barely stumble his way around a pentatonic scale. Likewise, if it's some shred-weenie claiming that only those who can play the hungarian minor scale with their feet have a clue, you can bet that he's a mindless, boring, metronome zombie scale-machine without a musical bone in his body!

Think about it, how many truly great players have you ever heard even get into this stupid debate? Music is an artform, and as such is probably about as subjective a concept as you could discuss, but to damn something simply because it's... "technical" is pure ignorance, just as it's equally ignorant to damn something for NOT being technical "enough"! All I have to say is that if you subscribe to any one of the two extremist viewpoints, you're missing out on so much of what makes music such a religious experience for so many of us, and the awesome variety that makes life worth living to the fullest!

It's all good folks... whether it's Muddy Waters rippin' your heart out with a sweet bend on a tune like "Screaming and Crying", or Steve Vai melting the frets off on "For the Love of God", it all makes the hairs on my arms stand up and gives me the inspiration to practice and hell... just to fuckin' PLAY!

Close-minded people suck...

SBS
    A bit harsh, but all in all, a good post. I totally agree.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by xaminer:
    A bit harsh, but all in all, a good post. I totally agree.
    Yeah, sorry if it was a bit harsh, but this whole ludicrous debate has just always been a pet peeve of mine. Why the hell can't people just fuckin' relax and enjoy the incredible freedom of expression that comes from playing and enjoying music without making a freakin' contest out of it?

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SBS, you are right on with those comments - I don't think you can say "hmm, I think I might play with feel from now on"!!! What a crock! You've either got it or you don't. All the great players that play with "feel" wouldn't even know they are doing it most of the time - its just the way they play. I agree with you SBS, this is a stupid thing to talk about.
    RD<br /><br />"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)<br /><br />"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, SBS and Romeo, hold your hands out. It's time for a good smack on the fingers with a ruler, just like my grade 6 teacher used to do.
    Man, all that woman was missing was a leather outfit.
    Anyway, don't get your shorts in a knot. This is a guitar forum, where we talk about shit like that.
    People ask questions like that because they're interested in what other guitarists think, and also to pass the time.
    If you stop to think about it, it's a pretty good question. If you don't want to talk about it then don't, but obviously there are those of us that just don't understand music like you guys.
    No one but you said said anyone was making a contest out of it.
    It's just a question that was asked, with a no. of opinions from different players.
    I'm amazed that you can rant off a full page essay about it, and then end it by saying "
    Close-minded people suck..."

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb hit the nail on the head right off the bat, with some very good counters as well by Home and Sir...

I'd hate to say it's common sense stuff, but are you a robot, a slob, or a soulful guitar player?

Middle ground is definitely what it's about in my opinion. As long as you don't sacrifice your musicality or emotion, and have an equal balance, you are in my opinion an accomplished guitarist.

I've seen kids at Mars and shit they can just about blow anybody away. And I listen, and it's technically amazing, but if I wanted to hear blazing arpeggios all the time, that's what I would play. I'm not saying anyone person should play one certain way, but employ a good variety of guitar technique and skill, while inflecting their own emotion...

I'd hate to really make it seem more difficult than it is. I've never thought Malmsteen, Satriani, or Vai to be soulless, although, Vai can get out there...

On the other hand, Mainstream music in my opinion, is nonexistent...What you have instead is an excuse to play sloppy, yet at the same time glorifying your ability to play simple bar chords about some whining non pertaining vocal theme... I hope that makes sense, because everyday I get more and more disgusted with Guitar magazines covering clowns...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I'll add this. My buddy, who is a smoking guitar player and I play in a band together. Every once in a while he plays something that just blows my mind. What he plays isn't anything special on the technical side of things, but the emotion he can sometime put behind what he plays just kills me, even if I don't particularly like what he's playing.
    I sometimes listen back to the rehearsal tape and a solo, or even one run will catch me. That's what it's about to me. As players we're pretty much even technically. We have different styles but every once in a while we'll catch each other and go wow, that was great dude.
    To be able to communicate the emotional aspect of what I'm playing is the biggest thrill for me. If I do it in 1 note, or 76 notes, I don't care, it's the response it gets. If somebody tells me that something I played touched them, or communicated something to them, I'm happy, regardless of skill, chops, or technique.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium