Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this post will probably have short shelf life, but it's time to rant...

Man, I thought it was bad when alternative was in full swing, and Guitar mags were glorifying chumps that chastized guitarists with talent. I miss those days.

I'm not into any "nu metal" or whatever the fuck they call it, or Creed, or any of that other stuff. Has anyone noticed, they motherfucking transcribed a Moby song for fucks sake in Guitar World. And all of the ads, with a bunch of freaks, and seven string hacks and shit.

Man, I just wish there would be somethin to change the scene for the better...fucking Mushroomhead? What in the shit...I don't know who half of these loony pierced freaks are man...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For what it's worth, (not much) I agree with you for the most part, but the sad reality is that in this corporate whore world we live in, that's just how it works... MTV programs the youth of our nation to buy the crap, and everyone else falls in line to cash in. That's why Guitar Player is the only guitar mag I still subscribe to.

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Opinions:
    1) I think genuinely good music stands the test of time. Don't worry about today's crap. It's no different than the crap from yesterday. Two hours of radio listening will getcha 2-3 good songs, just like any other era in music.
    2) Being a great guitar player doesn't mean a thing. It's ALL about the song. Hmmm...Wingnut Momstern comes to mind.
    3) The Beatles were the first 'boy band'. However, they had real talent. How many crooked-nosed nasally-voiced lead singers are gonna make it today?
    Addendum to point 1): Don't confuse popular with good. Talent=good, pretty=popular. Being pretty doesn't stand up to the test of time. Talent is timeless.
    To close:
    Video killed the radio star. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good posts, and from a guitarists point of view very true.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Shit in, shit out.

Until there's guitarists worth transcribing coming out with fresh material, those rags will be treading water. Sad, but true. I notice the same thing every time I pass the newsstand. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH3
    Favorite VH Song

Pleasure Dome
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's sad but true and unfortunately, it makes sense. The guitar playing world has gone to shit and if these magazines are covering the socalled "guitar playing world" then I see no reason why a guitar magazine would be anything other than SHIT!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's obvious shit there Cyberfiddl, and Que no Miclo wolfman?

It is just funny to hear candyass hacks talk shit about so called "glam rock" and "mullets" when pretty much what you have now are wannabe tough guys with piercings that pretty much are flat out hacks...

In my very sincere opinion, this is the worst decade for guitarists since the so-called grunge revolution...

How much longer are going to have to hear the pissing and moaning of "I can't play for shit, but guitar solos are all bullshit anyway...I'm just trying to make art noise" or whatever the fuck...

Just like MTV, if you ask me, popular Guitar Mags overlook some of the most talented gunslingers in the industry, and that is the world of one of my my favorite styles of music, Country Music...If you ask me, an interview with transcriptions from Hayden Nicholas (Clint Black's guitarist) are long overdue...as are the same from THE British Blues King in my opinion, Alvin Lee...

lets hope this bog sinks soon

[ June 27, 2002, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: TheMightyCopenHalenII ]
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

man are you guys angry. guess im the one who likes the old music and the new music. of course they re going to have new bands in there ,its 2002. but theres been plenty of issues lately talking about guitar heros and greats of blues and country. eddies still gracing covers too cmon now. i can guarentee that back in 87 other guitarists were saying the same thing about vh and glam bands "no substance,all tricks and flash,all the same, look at those clothes and makeup thats gay." go ahead and flame if you like .
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey man, I have an open mind...But I will not buy "My shit sucks, but it's art."

To compare the curren sludge hacks of today to even the so called glam guitarist of yesterday is a slap in the face. The MUSIC is so lacking it's pathetic.

I won't buy a piece of shit to show interest or be hip. I'll only buy something if I like it.

And NO. Popular guitar mags follow the same trends set as MTV, unfortunately. They do not do interviews on an even close to regular basis with major country guitarists, neither do they give them barely an ounce of coverage if that.

It's amazing, even though these are about the most talented popular musicians out there right now, not mention the country guitarists of yesterday, such as Hayden Nicholas...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Funny you should mention Wingnut Momstern .
    He was at my work yesterday giving a clinic. Two things worth mentioning about it.
    1. The young kids looked up to him like he was still a god.
    2. His wife (hot by the way, really hot by the way) was out front hawking his shit (cd's, hats etc..)
    How far he has come..........you know you are hot shit when your old lady is out front of your gig selling hats
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:
    Just like MTV, if you ask me, popular Guitar Mags overlook some of the most talented gunslingers in the industry, and that is the world of one of my my favorite styles of music, Country Music...If you ask me, an interview with transcriptions from Hayden Nicholas (Clint Black's guitarist) are long overdue...as are the same from THE British Blues King in my opinion, Alvin Lee...
    I'm not much of a country music fan, but I saw a jam with Vince Gill, Travis Tritt, Marty Stuart and others on TNN or CMT or something and they were f*cking GOOD! Surprised the sh*t out of me! I wanted to change the channel, but I couldn't - those guys were wailing.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would have to agree...it's mostly all turned to SHIT! BUT I have faith that sometime the whole group of FUCKIN IDIOTS that are filling our use to be favorite Magazines will soon go back to SUCKING there own dicks like they were before they got "Popular" HUH how about that WORD LOLOL fuckin popular.....the new generation is made out of Shit I guess, Fuck'em all....

When Good Music someday returns I'll be there but Until then They all can go fuck themselves....

Truely -Franky

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

The guitar mags are just a reflection of the overall shitty music scene these days. This type of shit goes hand in hand.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by P1:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:
    I'm not much of a country music fan, but I saw a jam with Vince Gill, Travis Tritt, Marty Stuart and others on TNN or CMT or something and they were f*cking GOOD! Surprised the sh*t out of me! I wanted to change the channel, but I couldn't - those guys were wailing. </font>[/QUOTE]I saw that too, but only about half, and it impressed the hell out of me.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by Rick S:
    man are you guys angry. guess im the one who likes the old music and the new music.
    Nope, you're not alone bro. I really like a lot of the newer heavy stuff. I'm big into Disturbed right now.

When I was younger I used to buy the guitar mags to learn tunes that were above my ability, and to see what the guitarists had to say about their stuff.

These days most music I like really doesn't require looking at the trascription, it's just a matter of listening to it once, or twice. I'm not trying to sound like I'm tooting my own horn at all. I grew up learning VH, Via, Satch, youneedawig, metallica, pantara and all that shit. These days a player doesn't need half of those chops to pull-off the stuff that's out there. I also lost any real intrest to learn other people's tune as I've been working on my own for the last 10 years.

I still have a look at mags when the wife and I are out shopping, and if I see something cool, I'll buy it. These days I buy recording mags because for me it's more aplicable to what I'm doing.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium