Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

06.24.15 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today after work I went El Jalepenos he let me play his Purple OLP that Rol sold to him. Jalepeno put a Floyd on it himself!very professional. I must say I was impressed. Any of you guys that think this is sacrilige think again. for three hundred bucks you can't beat it and you can't tell the difference between the floyd OLP and EBMM. I think this will start a new trend! Jalepeno will do it for you! The man know what he's doing. Way to go bro! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

GP: "Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Originally posted by TheCaboKid:
    you can't tell the difference between the floyd OLP and EBMM.

It's one thing to say that an OLP is a great guitar for the money. It's another thing to tell die-hard Van Halen fans at a die-hard Van Halen fan message forum that they can't tell the difference between the two very distinct guitars.

I feel comfortable saying that because I've played OLPs multiple times at my local music store (unplugged). You could've blindfolded me, and I would've known it wasn't an EBMM.

That's not to say I'd never buy an OLP, or that EJ's modified/setup OLP isn't badass, especially for the price.

Now don't get all "Darth Vader" on me, and Force-Choke me for disagreeing.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Majestic:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TheCaboKid:
    you can't tell the difference between the floyd OLP and EBMM.

It's one thing to say that an OLP is a great guitar for the money. It's another thing to tell die-hard Van Halen fans at a die-hard Van Halen fan message forum that they can't tell the difference between the two very distinct guitars.

I feel comfortable saying that because I've played OLPs multiple times at my local music store (unplugged). You could've blindfolded me, and I would've known it wasn't an EBMM.

That's not to say I'd never buy an OLP, or that EJ's modified/setup OLP isn't badass, especially for the price.

Now don't get all "Darth Vader" on me, and Force-Choke me for disagreeing.
    </font>[/QUOTE]It's all good and may the force be with you. I'm sure there are subtle differences, to the touch, when comparing both guitars; saying your comparing EBMM to a floyd OLP not one without. But the tremelo performance of the floyd OLP is pretty much the same as the EBMM, IMHO.
    "Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by TheCaboKid:
    Today after work I went El Jalepenos he let me play his Purple OLP that Rol sold to him. Jalepeno put a Floyd on it himself!very professional. I must say I was impressed. Any of you guys that think this is sacrilige think again. for three hundred bucks you can't beat it and you can't tell the difference between the floyd OLP and EBMM. I think this will start a new trend! Jalepeno will do it for you! The man know what he's doing. Way to go bro! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Don't get me wrong here.
    I think El Jalepeno is a good guy and all, but your statement that if you close your eyes you can't tell the difference is way off.
    I've played bother and the differences aren't subtle.
    The feel of the neck is different, which is a major part of playing a guitar, as well as the sound of the pickups. The floyd may be the same but so is any floyd style guitar.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First off I didn't post if you close your eyes you can't tell the difference. I was speaking of the tremolo.And I know enough about guitars to know that neck is not the same as any other neck, blah, blah. I will say that the back of the neck of OLP feels unfinished which I feel gives it a earthy quality, kinda like agrip if you will. As far as the pickups go in the OLP they are Dimarzio "copies" and are suppose to emulate them. The OLP is EBMM copy.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, you're right you didn't say that, sorry.
    What you did say was that you can't tell the difference between a floyd OLP and an original EBMM EVH floyd.
    That's true, cause one pivoting trem feels the same as another.
    As far as the neck goes, a broom handle is unfinished too, but it doesn't feel the same.
    The pickups are cheapo knockoffs that don't sound close in sustain or tone.
    I do think that El Jalepeno improved the guitar by installing a floyd and it's great that he did it himself.
    The guitar could be improved by installing a floyd nut, better p/u's, and better frets, but unfortunately it'll still be an OLP and it's value won't increase at all by the upgrade.
    It would play better though.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Ok, ok ok... Opinions are like ass holes, and quite a few of them here stink, but I will say this: Sitting at Guitar Center with an OLP and a Music Man side by side, playing on an amp without changing the settings. The difference is so miniscule that you wouldn't be able to tell much difference unless you looked at the name. And the best part is this. The Music Man was listed at $1599 when I started, and by the time I was done working out the pricing and playing the guitars one after another, same amp with no changes, the price of the guitar had dropped to almost $1000. Why? Because there are people stupid enough NOT to know the difference so they truly beleive they are justified in the price. I am usually pretty humble about my playing, but even the greatest of guitarist (Ed) can make any guitar sing (Uhh... Franky??). It's not what you spend. If you're looking for an investment in guitars, spend some real money and go Gibson or Fender.

I know some of you "pros" out there have all the answers, but I guess that's what separates the amateurs from the pros: It doesn't matter what you spend on a guitar. It's what you make the guitar do that matters. Gee, didn't a certain namesake on this board rummage through a junk bin and piece together one fine fucking guitar? He didn't have to say he spent a thousand bucks on it because he actually sucked at playing guitar. Quite the opposite.

So, let's break it down:
    $200 for OLP
    $250 for maple flametop
    $250 for Floyd and installation
    $100 for DiMarzio stamped on the pickups
    $50 for Grover stamped on the Tuners
    hmmm.. $850. Not too far off. Get a high profile endorser and BAMM! You have your Music Man. Same bass wood body, same maple neck.

Finally, thanks to Cabo for the flood of flaming coming my way [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ January 28, 2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

And here is the controversy. BTW, I did install the locking nut and string retainer as well Tribb [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ January 28, 2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Opinions are like ass holes, and quite a few of them here stink
    You're a funny guy. Did you think that up yourself?
    Opinions that aren't yours stink, is that what you're saying?
    You can put anything you like on a chinese squire too but it doesn't change the guitar.
    You can put mag wheels on ford pinto as well, but that's not gonna make it a race car.
    The guitar that Ed "slapped together" didn't come from a junk bin and can't be compared in quality to an OLP, even an OLP with a "real" floyd.
    Your telling me the guitar center had an original EBMM EVH, not an axis, and dropped the price from
    1599. to 1000. just in the time you were there or did that go on in your mind?
    You can't say that the EVH and OLP are the same just because they both use basswood and maple.
    There's different grades of basswood and maple and different levels of quality in building.
    I've had an original EVH that I dragged all around for 8 years(it's stored away now) and it still plays as well as the first day I got it.
    I'm sure that a US made wolf would probably work the same way, even though it's a more mass produced instrument, but it's still designed as a working guitar.
    Can you say the same thing about an OLP.
    And where did you get that breakdown?
    100. for stamping Dimarzio on the pickups?
    I realize that I'm just an asshole for stating my opinion, which isn't yours, so of course it stinks, but to me an OLP is still a peice of chinese firewood with strings.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always said that a shitty player, on even the best of instruments, is a shitty player. And Yngwie will rip a shitwad if he's playing a Squier Strat and the other dude is playing his signature model, or one of his vintage Strats. I'm not going to go on and on about that.

What we're talking about here is the comparison of an OLP compared to an EBMM EVH. When I think of an OLP, I think of a flea market guitar.

Don't get me wrong, there's guys on here that have done things to improve them. I say more power to em.

Visual similarities, yes. An EBMM copy? Yea, that's a stretch. NOT the same basswood body, and NOT the same maple neck.

It's flat out blasphemy to think that one would equate the OLP of even approaching the EBMM EVH in terms of worksmanship, quality, hardware, or tone.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by tribb:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Opinions are like ass holes, and quite a few of them here stink
    You're a funny guy. Did you think that up yourself?
    Opinions that aren't yours stink, is that what you're saying?
    You can put anything you like on a chinese squire too but it doesn't change the guitar.
    You can put mag wheels on ford pinto as well, but that's not gonna make it a race car.
    The guitar that Ed "slapped together" didn't come from a junk bin and can't be compared in quality to an OLP, even an OLP with a "real" floyd.
    Your telling me the guitar center had an original EBMM EVH, not an axis, and dropped the price from
    1599. to 1000. just in the time you were there or did that go on in your mind?
    You can't say that the EVH and OLP are the same just because they both use basswood and maple.
    There's different grades of basswood and maple and different levels of quality in building.
    I've had an original EVH that I dragged all around for 8 years(it's stored away now) and it still plays as well as the first day I got it.
    I'm sure that a US made wolf would probably work the same way, even though it's a more mass produced instrument, but it's still designed as a working guitar.
    Can you say the same thing about an OLP.
    And where did you get that breakdown?
    100. for stamping Dimarzio on the pickups?
    I realize that I'm just an asshole for stating my opinion, which isn't yours, so of course it stinks, but to me an OLP is still a peice of chinese firewood with strings.
    </font>[/QUOTE]First off dude, you really need to lay off the caffeine. I wasn't talking about your opinion at all, as I was opening up my own argument. You sure are pretty full of yourself thinking your the only one on this board that knows to have a locking nut with a Floyd or it's useless. I have had plenty of guitars hold up for a lot longer than 8 years, and with over 20 years of playing and gigging experience, I have an educated opinion. Now this OLP? Who knows... Maybe in 8 years I still won't have a life and I can post a response here just for you.

As for you misunderstanding my position, your ignorance only strengthens my argument. Maybe if you really didn't beleive all your hype on what you thought you knew, then it would be a little easier to discuss. You frequently assume your opinion is right, when it really is simply irrelevant. I guess I could see how you would assume that I was directing my "smells like shit" remark to you, but I have also seen how you jump the gun and start atacking what people say. Like I said, you sure are full of yourself Tribb [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] And that, my little guitar buddy, does smell like shit.

As for Guitar Center, pull your head out your ass before you post replies and you will see that I said a MUSIC MAN, not an EVH, but a MUSIC MAN nonetheless. You really fucking amaze me with your shitty attention to other people's posts when you decide your almighty opinion should slam them. Again, you really are full of yourself. Is everything else you do this half-assed? You read a line in a post and then jump in? And for the price, yes it did drop. What the fuck? You think paying full price for something is cool? Now I know you're fucking nuts. Again, if you would have taken the time to read the post rather than assume you knew what was being said, then maybe I would give you more credit, but you do it to alot of other posts as well. Again, WTF? Are you drunk when you post or just assume your opinion doesn't warrant investigation as to what was actually being said? And yes, the price came down that much.

And side by side, same amp, very litle difference in guitars. That is what I said, not that they were identical. But why should you bother to read the post since you just assume you have a grasp of the discussion in the first place. You may notice the difference, and you may think it's night and day. I could care less. When I played them side by side, and Tribb, I can play guitar a little bit also, there was very little diffence. Tone, sustain, it was all there.

As for the DiMarzio remark, you can buy DMs for around $65 each, for a total of $130, so assuming that the pickups don't have a name on them, you pay around $30-$40 each. So the actual difference in price, and we're talking p-r-i-c-e s-u-b-s-t-i-t-u-t-i-o-n, is closer to $50ish. But of course, maybe you didn't understand the concept because you never actually changed a pickup? I dunno. I'm just guessing by your remark.

And Ed did rummage through a junk bin. The Frankenstrat body was a throw away that Ed found. Bought from Wayne Charvel and built by Linn Ellsworth. It was a $50 Boogie unfinished ash body, serial number 61071 found in a box of cast offs since only the middle and neck pickup cavities were routed. Ed chisled the bridge cavity for a Gibson PAF he took from a 1961 Gibson 335. Jesus fucking Christ, Tribb. I expected to you at least know where Ed got his Franky if you were hell bent on attempting to debunk my argument. So where do you think it came from Tribb??? Peavey? Or maybe Ernie Ball??? What half-ass assumptions did you make? You know, you must be right, I was talking about your opinion, and your opinion alone, smelling like shit. You really are full of yourself. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Of course, you'll probably respond without reading this post assuming your words are wisdom...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, I read your post Shirley. As far as assumptions go, it's great when morons like you can argue with everyone but me. As soon as I post an opinion I'm full of myself(could you have said that a few more times), and you've been playing for 20 years, too. Now how could I possibly think of aguing with someone as experienced as you.

I never assume my words are wisdom. I just say what's on my mind moron.
    I've got a right to state my opinion as much as anyone else on here.
    If you don't like it then turn the fuckin channel.
    It's only The odd dogfart like yourself that thinks since I'm a mod here I should just shutup and stay out of everything. That if I state an opinion then it's not really my thought on a subject, it's really an attack on you.
    I guess I should leave players like you with "years of experience" and miles of bullshit to spew your crap to anyone that'll listen while everyone else with an opinion different to yours can just go fuck off.
    Of course, no one on the forum has your knowledge and experience.

Why, now that you mention it I don't believe I've ever actually changed a pickup. I'm not even sure what a pickup is. Maybe you could explain that to me too asswipe.
    And look how nicely you spelled p-r-i-c-e s-u-b-s-t-i-t-u-t-i-o-n. Wow, that's much better than I could do, but then again you have all that experience.
    Did Ed really build his guitar like that?
    Boy that's great to know. Did you help him build it too?
    And you mean I don't have to pay full price for everything?
    Man, I have no idea how I possibly got through life without an experienced player like you to guide me.
    Boy, you really like to use that word shit a lot.
    Is that a little freudian thing you've got going there?
    For someone who's not concerned with my opinion you sure do have a lot of bullshit to throw.

Well, you sure told me off Bilbo.
    I guess I better go into a corner and cry and leave the real opinions to masters like you with "20 years of experience". [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    I know some of you "pros" out there have all the answers, but I guess that's what separates the amateurs from the pros: It doesn't matter what you spend on a guitar. It's what you make the guitar do that matters.
    Who exactly are you referring to?

Are you saying that "pros" don't know how to make their guitars do what they want, or are you saying that "pros" are concerned about how much they spend on a guitar?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

So here I am, wondering what is the real story with OLP. I notice very little difference between the Music Man and OLP, except as I noted previously, and some here swear there is a night and day difference. Everyone's got an opinion, myself included. So I write OLP last night and ask point blank for some history and details. I get a response today. And for those of you not interested in reading this post completely, Sterling Ball has quite a bit of input on the exact specs of OLP guitars...

"Ok here is the OLP story. One of our owners, Gary Hanser and Sterling Ball of Ernie Ball are golfing friends. The OLP idea came about through a conversation between them. OLP is really more of a concept than a brand. The concept is to make an affordable instrument with the features of its big brother. It provides a win win situation for Ernie Ball because people are buying OLP versions that may not be able to purchase the real Ernie Ball model -at least for now, but it gets them interested for future purchases. The exposure of OLP helps build the Ernie Ball instrument recognition while at the same time does not lessen the high regard for quality Ernie Ball instruments. Gibson has done much the same with Epiphone and Fender with Squire etc.
    However, rest assured that Sterling Ball has had hands on development of each of the OLP Ernie Ball instruments. We make each as close as possible then he goes through and makes them even closer with little corrections here and there. For instance, most guitars in this price range have many piece necks - the OLP is a one piece neck for better sustain. The pickups are direct mount to the body just like Ernie Ball for better sustain too. So while anyone can make a copy ONLY OLP can prove the input of the original manufacturer's with a logo on the back of the headstock. We cannot make any OLP Ernie Ball model that is not done by them. The pickups are as close as possible too. Sterling was very particular about this feature. Spec-wise OLP is VERY close to Ernie Ball. The main difference is place of origin - US vs. China. Ernie Ball does not own OLP and OLP does not own Ernie Ball. They are two completely separate companies that have agreed to mutually manufacture an Officially Licensed Product. I hope that helps."

Ernie Ball replied with , "OLP's explanation is fairly accurate."

I think this horse is just about beaten...

[ January 29, 2003, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think this horse is just about beaten...
    I'd say it's beaten and then some.

While we all have our opinions let's see if we can just put this to bed until the next time someone brings it up.
    Hopefully that won't be for awhile.