Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well folks, all of you that have been longing for an Echoplex can now get one because they have been reissued. Now before all of you go plink down the cash for one of these, let me tell you a couple of things about them from experience. First off, an Echoplex is a tape echo unit. It has an endless loop tape in it that the sound is recorded on, and depending on how fast you run it, results in echoes from Sun Records sounds to the Dazed and Confused violin bow solo in The Song Remains The Same. You can achieve some cool effects with this unit, but be fore warned--there are consequences. For one thing these units color your sound. Don't expect digital delay clarity out of this unit, the echo distorts as it decays. This is actually more natural sounding, but I don't exactly care for it myself. Also, the old units were noisy as hell, i.e. lot o' hiss. Hopefully some of the newer design technologies have been implemented into the reissues to combat noise. Finally, and to me the most irritating thing about them, the tape WILL break on you, and usually right when you REALLY need it. Let's face it, tape is fragile so expect this going in. Echoplexes do have a warmth that you won't find in digital equipment, so that helps make the sound a little "browner". I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying an Echoplex, just letting you know what to expect.(Hell I STILL use one from time to time.) Basically, if you don't mind a few headaches from time to time, then by all means get one. However, if you just HAVE to have one because Eddie or Jimmy Page used/uses them, then you might want think about it just a bit harder if you want "worry free" echoing.

[This message has been edited by BrownSound1 (edited May 15, 2000 at 12:36 AM).]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why would they reissue an inconsistant echoplex i bet they made some changes.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Tape is tape! Your going to have the same problems. What makes them so good is what makes them a pain in the ass!

My dad owns a Roland Space Echo, which is ecsentially an updated Echoplex, and yes the noise is somewhat reduced by it's a tape echo, they are what they are.

On a side note, the echoplex, (IMO) does wonders for a vintage clean fender tone. A Strat or a Tele into an Echoplex, into a Twin, WOW, I've found it warms things up a lot and adds serious body

------------------
    Baluchitherium

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

who cares im buying it bigtime. im stoked