Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who here owns a Peavey Wolfgang and how much did you pay for it? Is it a nice guitar or is it overrated just because it's got Ed's name on it?

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't have one (since they don't make them for us lefty's), but I've seen them before. I saw a standard purple one for about $1500-$2000. I think it was closer to the first price, but that's not too bad a price. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I've never owned 1 but I played lots, and to me they're far too expensive for what you get. They feel like a production line guitar, the workmanship looks like production line guitar, and a comparison to the Ernie Ball MusicMan Axis, they stink. I know there's a lot of guys really like but theyíre the most inconsistent guitars that I've ever played. Iíve played one and its great, played another one and itís terrible. If you are looking for a guitar like EDS, I would see if you could find an original music man, and if not I'd go for the Axis. My experience with Wolfgangs has really soured me on them.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm probably just gonna get an Ibanez or another Jackson. I was wondering about the Peavey guitars because i always wanted an Ernie Ball Music Man when i was in high school and then all of a sudden i saw Ed was playing a Peavey and was like WTF? Also, being that i wanna get a guitar off the rack instead of building one due to laziness, i figured i might as well check into this thing. I was watching the Runaround video the other day and saw Ed boogying with the purple EBMM and figured maybe it might be a good idea to get a purple Wolfgang. Eventually i came to my senses and realized that would have been yet another impulsive decision. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Like i said, probably gonna get an Ibanez shred guitar or a Jackson Dinky.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by homeunit:
    I've never owned 1 but I played lots, and to me they're far too expensive for what you get. They feel like a production line guitar, the workmanship looks like production line guitar, and a comparison to the Ernie Ball MusicMan Axis, they stink. I know there's a lot of guys really like but they’re the most inconsistent guitars that I've ever played. I’ve played one and its great, played another one and it’s terrible. If you are looking for a guitar like EDS, I would see if you could find an original music man, and if not I'd go for the Axis. My experience with Wolfgangs has really soured me on them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even though I love Wolfgangs, I have to agree partly with Homeunit. I've played several Wolfgangs, about 6 or 7 different ones total, and they're really inconsistent, and I don't mean just with the way the necks feel. It's normal for the necks of different Wolfgangs to feel slightly different, and that's no big deal, but I'm talking about flaws in the paint, dings in the body that came from the factory, bad setups, etc. If you play around and find one that is in perfect condition, they are VERY good guitars, and I'd say that they're as good as the Music Mans. But unfortunately out of the few I've played, about 1/3 of them were screwed up in some way, and they were all brand new!! The production on them just doesn't seem to be as good as it should be. Now, I do own a Wolfgang Special Flametop, and I bought it brand new, right out of the box! I was the first, and only, person to play it. And fortunately I got one that was, and I do mean, PERFECT!! There are no flaws at all, and it turned out to be one of the best guitars I've ever played, and I find it, MY Wolfgang, to be as good as any Music Man, at least if you ask me. I think that the Wolfgangs are worth the money if you can get a good one, so you need to just play around on different ones and pick out the one that you think is just right. Because I can tell you right now that there's quite a few out there that are screwed up. So yes, Ernie Ball does a better job producing their guitars, but Peavey is the better company to do business with. So if you do end up with a screwed up Wolf that is brand new, they have no problem sending you a new one, where as I've heard that Ernie Ball has more of an "it's your problem" attitude. My first Wolfgang was a used black Special and it had 2 dings in it and a twisted neck and Peavey still replaced it, but maybe that was also because I bought it from a Peavey store. Anyways, the point is, the Wolfgang is a great guitar, but make sure you get a good one.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

man, i want a wolfgang, but i was looking at some axis' the other day/week, and they look pretty awesome. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    thanks for the info, glad i stumbled onto this thread. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, personally I think the axis is a poor EBMM EVH knock off. Kind of like designer perfume, trying to be the real thing but not even in the same ball park as the real thing.
    I've owned 4 early model wolfgangs, and have played a bunch more and while I don't feel they're worth 2000., it's mainly because i don't think Peavey should charge that kind of money for a basswood guitar that is made on a production line by the tens of thousands.
    Having said that, the wolfgangs I've owned had beautiful necks, and I think blow the axis away quality and sound wise. I feel the early ones(first run) were made with more care and really have a great rock solid feel to them. I have to agree they all feel a little different depending who does the final sanding on the finished neck but I think the neck on them is their best quality.
    The axis is a muddy sounding guitar with a clumsy feeling neck and I haven't heard a standard wolf that doesn't sound better than any axis I've heard to date.
    I do feel that the the original EBMM EVH is the best Ed's come up with though. The neck is small, round, and fast and the body rings even with out the amp. Plugged in, it has more bite than the wolf, and the axis sounds like a grunge guitar compared to it. I just wish he hadn't used basswood though.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 983 Times in 396 Posts

i have a peavey wolfgang special, cream color originally, but now has the reb, black, white stripe job. i paid $838.95 for it, including the case, if ya ask me, not a big deal at all, and worth it.

i've only been playing a little over 8 years and only do it as something on the side, nothing serious so my opinions may not hold as much as some of you guys on here.

however in the time i've had it, i have had no problems with it, except that the g string is hard to tune sometimes, and i don't know why. my neck is great, real smooth, and it feels awesome.

sound wise, i think it's a bit tinny sometimes, not enough bottom to it, but you can change that with whatever amp ur playin.

and i really like the trem system on mine, it feels natural, whether or like the whammy bar or not. i've had my guitar at standard tuning and 1/2 step down and the guitar is always in tune. i think that says a lot cuz i live out in the desert and when i play in my garage it gets up over 120 in there easily. no problems with intonation either.

everything looks good so far...

JMJ [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nuthin like a great piece of ash to get my juices flowin'. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I tried a few Wolfgangs, and I have mixed reviews. Some of them played great; others had razor sharp fret edges. Come to think of it, I'm about due for another tetanus shot...

What I really didn't care for was the sound. It's hard to describe, but to my ears they were a bizarre combination of dull and scratchy. I'm not fond of basswood, or any very light wood for that matter. And for the $$, I had to almost laugh. Of course, I have never been one to own expensive guitars; none of mine cost me even $300 (before mods, of course).

The offset body wasn't to my liking either; it looked like they were shooting for a little too much '90's' appeal instead of the much classier Music Man body shape. Then again, Peaveys have never quite been considered a top notch guitar company either. It may have something to do with a lack of steel wool used at the factory.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a cream Special. I like it a lot! It stays in tune great, and plays great also. It has a little ding in it above the bridge, but I did that, and I had to re-align the bridge also, my fault again. The only complaint I have is that I have to realign the D-Tuna too often. Great sounding guitar if you ask me [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 983 Times in 396 Posts

the wolfie specials aren't priced that badly i don't think. the regular wolfies are. i've seen ones for $1700. that's fuckin absurd. only cuz it has ed's name attached to it.

that sucks so many people have had a shitty time tryin these things out...maybe ed is tryin to get out of his peavey deal and that's the delay....LMAO

JMJ [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I got my Wolfgang standard (with stop tail)in 98, paid about $1100 new with case. I've been playing it regularly and gigging with it since then. When these guitars first came out I thought to myself what the hell is he doing working with Peavey. In my experience I had never been impressed with any piece of Peavey equipment...it all seemed mediocre at best. But when I was in the market for a new guitar I finally played one. I fell in love with the feel of the guitar...the neck and the balance and shape of the body. Till this day it is still the best neck I have played so far (which is why I'm not big on the wolfgang specials since they don't have the same neck I don't believe). Now, I did pick one up in a store a few months ago and was not impressed at all. It felt nothing like mine...it was supposidly new but felt like it had well used, in a not so good way. So there is obviously a production issue like we're all saying. What that means is play a few and make sure one is to your liking before you buy. Lets see, what else...I love the neck pickup, bridge pickup is just ok...but I play more clean rocky/jazzy/funky/jammy style stuff anyhow.

I've played 1 EBMM VH guitar a long time ago and it was certainly nice. I have not tried the Axis though. I like Ernie Ball so I bet it's a nice guitar and probably pretty similar to the Wolfgang standard. Thing is, not that I regularly look, but I haven't seen them in stores to try.

Good luck in your search for a new geetar!
    "If at first you don't understand Van Halen's music, crank up the volume."
    -Washington Post, April, 1980

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steely:
    Till this day it is still the best neck I have played so far (which is why I'm not big on the wolfgang specials since they don't have the same neck I don't believe).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both guitars have the same neck, unless you mean the difference in the wood, which the Special has Hardrock maple and the Standard has Birdseye. Other than that the specs are the same.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Weren't the EVH EBMM necks made with some kinda laser system that mapped the neck of Ed's old 5150 guitar? Thought I read that somewhere. Anyway, if this is the case, did Peavey do the same with the Wolf?

As for the production quality of the Wolf's, I would have to say I have not been impressed with what I have seen and played. I live in Jackson Ms, about 100 miles from the Peavey plant, so the local music stores usualy have tons of the Wolfs. I have to agree with Abe in that the fret jobs those guys are doing could be a hell of alot better; I've never played or picked up a new guitar that had ruffer edges on the frets. And as for the price of those suckers, well I think they are a bit over priced.

Peavey makes good amps; you could drag'em behind a truck and they would still work, but I'm not so sure about guitars. I do know that production turn around was an issue with the EBMM and that was one reason Ed dropped them (I tired to get one forever to no avail). Perhaps Peavey is trying to avoid that situation by shoving as many out the door as they can, thus poor quality.
    <a href="http://www.unityparty2001.com/cgi-local/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi" target="_blank">Electric Shock</a>

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Saros Thaine:
    Weren't the EVH EBMM necks made with some kinda laser system that mapped the neck of Ed's old 5150 guitar? Thought I read that somewhere. Anyway, if this is the case, did Peavey do the same with the Wolf?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think you're right about Ernie Ball using the lazer system to copy Ed's old neck from his 5150 so the neck would technically be broken in when you got one. I had a 1994 issue of Guitar Shop Magazine where they did a feature on the EBMM and Peavey 5150 amp. I think they also mentioned how the pickup Ed wanted copied by Dimarzio for the EBMM was broken but he liked the tone so wanted them to copy it as close as possible. This brings to my mind something that i've wondered about since Ed left Ernie Ball. How can they be putting out the Axis when Ed is the one that designed the basic style of that guitar? Did the company screw Ed out of a copyright or patent for the design?