Register
    Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright dudes, I've sold my second Wolfgang. The dude that I'm selling it to lives in Canada, and I think he's worried or some shit that I/it might have trouble, and might need to go through customs or some shit. I assured him that it would mutually be an easy transaction, in essence, with no bullshit.

I mean the dude I bought it from lived in Canada, and I didn't have any problems.

So what the fuck, it should be ready set go, right? I don't really have much doubt, but the dude just has me wanting to double check.

Thanks fellas
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

unless the neck counts as softwood lumber, i think it's all good.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

USPS has to fill out a customs form but it's no big deal. They will fill out the form for you and it won't cost you any extra $. I have shipped several items to canada in the past with no problems.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I should add that the buyer may have to pay a customs fee. Depending on the guitars declared value. Other countries like germany charge a fee if the package is over $40.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

He has to worry about duty and taxes. It's the value that give him grief. If you ship it as a gift and mark the value of it at $25 he'll be fine. The problem with that is insurance, but it's up to him. Either he gets it shipped cheap or he pays whatever UPS deciedes to fuck him for and he get insurance.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Duty and taxes? I'll be damned, how much you suppose that would cost him?

As far as marking the value at $25, well shit, I don't want to get busted or anything.

Hey man, you know, if I go through USPS, will that dude have to still pay UPS fees? Well shit, I hope he doesn't back out on it.

I'm sure it will cost me a fucking arm and a leg and a ham sandwich to ship it to the dude. Damn you Canucks(j/k)!!!!
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think canada charges the fee. So it will be the same amount no matter which carrier you use.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Make sure that you fill out the proper customs form for Canada, they have a different one than the rest of the world. It has to be in triplicate. UPS automatically insures up to a hundred bucks. Canadian's aren't stupid either and their customs guys are spot on and they'll know that your Wolfgang costs a little more than $25 bucks and you and or the buyer could get fined or at the least they'll send it back, maybe in pieces.

Do your homework on this one. Call UPS' 800 number and ask for help. You'll need to know the actual shipping weight when you call. The Postal service has all the customs info on their website and the rules will be the same.

Insure it for the replacement amount or you will kick yourself in the ass forever. If at any point you are still uncertain, call the deal off. You will fuck yourself over if you don't. Better safe than sorry.

Axxman-10 years Shipping/Receiving Dept Mgr-300
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

UPS will charge him a "brokers fee".
    That's a nice way of saying we're gonna stick our arm up your ass and see how much we can pull out.
    The fee is based on the value of the guitar.
    The boys at Canada Customs will then put on a pair of rubber gloves and tickle his tonsils through his asshole.
    Their cut is 15% plus a "possible" duty fee.
    These boys aren't from the Ozarks.
    The box with the guitar in it will be Xrayed at the border, and the name Peavey Wolfgang will be clearly seen.
    A quick look in a book will tell them there isn't a 25. guitar in the box.
    When that happens they could either refuse the package entry or charge him between 30 and 50% of what they feel the item is worth.
    They also have the authority to open the box, remove the guitar and have a look for themselves.
    UPS will drop it off on the US side, and then will pick it up for delivery "after" Canada Customs says it's ok.
    I bought 6 wolfs from the US and had them all shipped to Buffalo NY., where I picked them up and brought them across the border myself.
    That was before Sept. 11.
    It's much harder to do that now because very little of what you say at the border now is taken at face value.
    The reason you didn't have to pay tax and duty is because the guitar was clearly marked "Made In the USA", which means that you don't pay on a US made item coming back into the US.
    We have the same deal but it has to say "Made in Canada", so unless it's a fuckin bottle of maple syrop, good luck.
    I think the best thing you can do is value it at around 450. US so it doesn't attract attention, and mark it as a "Gift", which will give him a bit more of a reduction on the tax.
    Send it by Air Mail, or priority Post which usually takes around 7-10 days.
    The post office is slower but doesn't cost you any kind of broker's fee, and the service is pretty good as long as it's packed well. Priority post is faster and you can track it even though it costs a bit more than air mail, but still won't cost as much as UPS in the long run.
    He'll pay some tax on it, but unless you're ready to drive it over the border or he's ready to come to the US I don't see any way around it.
    If you find a loophole let me know.
    Good luck.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

You know what though? This is your customers problem, not yours. It's not really your job to inform him of what his country is going to charge his to import it is it?

The best you can do is ask him his shipping preference and send it whatever way he asks for. Whatever happens on his end is his own problem. You have the payment before it ships and it's his job to know what to expect when he buys something from the US.

I mean if I went down to Seattle and bought a guitar and tried to bring it across the border, I'd have to declare it and pay whatever duty they imposed on me.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's right.
    And then say " The red bird flies at midnight".
    That's a secret code all we canadians have.
    If you say that he'll think you're a canadian too and he'll tell you what he really thinks about having to pay tax on a US guitar. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    That's right.
    And then say " The red bird flies at midnight".
    That's a secret code all we canadians have.
    If you say that he'll think you're a canadian too and he'll tell you what he really thinks about having to pay tax on a US guitar. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    whoa here, I thought you only paid duty on puchases from a business ?? between two private parties there is no tax in volved as long as it's marked as a gift, I have only had to pay a duty to UPS once and that is when I bought a guitar from a business. Now my memory is fer shit so I could have just wasted my time typing
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Duties and taxes should apply to private transactions as well, but Cope should try to be able to inform this poor bastard to some degree about getting the guitar there. Now, I agree that whatever path this travels, it is the buyers issue, but Cope should at least prepare the guy. What if it comes out to something like a few extra hundred dollars for duty and taxes and the guy doesn't have it in the first place? Then, Cope gets the guitar retunred and has to refund the cash. That would suck. Personally, I would do like Tribb suggested: Insure the axe for around $450, and let the guy worry about it. I know some parts overseas there is a limit of like $250, then you pay duty and taxes whatever is over that.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh man, you guys are fuckin killin me!!!

The shit Tribb was sayin, I can't believe I didn't piss my pants!!!

Well hell man, I didn't know you guys got raped so bad. So shit, I don't know if any of you guys fish, but for example, if you ordered something from Bass Pro Shops, you would get taxed by Customs when it comes in? Fuck.

See the dude asked me and I really had no idea, but wanted to make sure. Now I'm thinkin fuck, does this dude buy stuff from the US on a regualar basis? You have to right?

I mean he could get charged up to 15% of the total? Even if it is a gift? I hope there ain't a way they could tell it ain't a gift or somethin, I don't need any dumb shit man. I know Homeunit said it, the dude should know right?

Fuck, I don't know man, I just don't know
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    Duties and taxes should apply to private transactions as well, but Cope should try to be able to inform this poor bastard to some degree about getting the guitar there. Now, I agree that whatever path this travels, it is the buyers issue, but Cope should at least prepare the guy. What if it comes out to something like a few extra hundred dollars for duty and taxes and the guy doesn't have it in the first place? Then, Cope gets the guitar retunred and has to refund the cash. That would suck. Personally, I would do like Tribb suggested: Insure the axe for around $450, and let the guy worry about it. I know some parts overseas there is a limit of like $250, then you pay duty and taxes whatever is over that.
    Yup, unfortunately, we pay tax on it whether it's business ot privately sold.
    I've bought a lot of stuff on ebay from US sellers and at times I wind up paying tax, but that's just something you have to understand when buying internationally.
    When I sell something to someone in the US I let them know I'll do what I can to keep it down to a minimum but there's gonna be some tax on it unless it's US made.
    The C Customs guys will multiply the value by approx. 1.6 to get the Canadian value and then tax him on that.
    The "gift" checkmark on the package will eat up about 60 US, but he'll be taxed on the rest.
    The shitty thing is that even when buyers in the US do pay tax it's between 3-6%, while ours is up to 15%.
    In some cases you can get away with 8% on certain items but not often.
    That's why a no. of canadian buyers will wait till a certain item on ebay is listed on ebay canada before bidding.