Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

.....any suggestions on having this done , i wonder . i remember on a van halen instuction video - the player said he bought a marshall super lead and modified it van halen style. anybody got this guys adress or phone # ?
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure of the guy in the video, but there are MANY places that will mod an amp for you. Tribb would be the guy with experience in the area, as would Homeunit.

While you're waiting to hear from those guys, check out the following address; they have a LOT of mods for a LOT of amps, some kits you can buy, or have them install for you.

www.torresengineering.com
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My amps are modded by a technician in the city I live in, but Abe's right. Torres does very good work from what I understand as long as you know what you want ahead of time and have the funds to spend. What ever you do, unless you have a fairly extensive knowledge of electronics and diagrams in front of you "DON'T" try to mod the amp yourself. Even unplugged, an amp stores enough current to turn you into the blue plate special. We don't like to see our posters in the obituary column. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the video guy is curt mitchell,he has a dual master volume mod on his plexi head. as well as a mods eddie used the variac too...but ed states many times his majic marshall was stock he just turned it all the way up and used the variac.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

thanks , i like the 5150...but it seems a little melo on the lower strings - alot has to do on the attack of the string .now i never had the balls to crank one of those babes up in the music store - i heard it evens out when cranked...now i wonder if the mods prefer the originals instead of the reissue marshall's when they tweak

Cover that long..

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For whatever it's worth I've tried the marshall reissues and I prefer the originals.
    A modded reissue would probably sound good though.
    From what I understand Ed's rig was completely stock except for the variac. At that time there were no marshall mods. You played it the way it came and they all sound different so you hope you got one that sounded the way you want.
    At one time I owned a 68 orange Marshall head and cab (50 watt. They made 4 of them for a band called the guess who, who were going to use them for a tour but changed their minds, so they were sold off.
    That rig sounded absolutely incredible. To this day I haven't heard a stock marshall that sounds as good. Like an idiot eventually I sold it. I don't what possesed me to do it but I was even more of an idiot in those days than I am now. I sold it to a guy that used it as a backstage practice amp at a place in Toronto called massey hall. From what I understand it eventually found it's way to a guy called Astin Pitman from groove tubes. There's a picture of it in the groove tube book volume 3. What do you think my chances are of getting that sucker back?
    Anyway, to get back on track I replaced it with a 71 100 watt marshall head and 2 4x12 cabs which sounded TERRIBLE. I grew to hate that peice of shit and eventually couldn't wait to unload it. It was dead and flat sounding. I blew the transformer and the replacement sounded just as bad. That's when I began to realize not all marshalls are the same. Wish I'd known about variacs. I'd have had no problem blowing that peice of shit up.
    I have a freind though who has 6 marshalls, all different sounding. One sounds like ZZ Top's with no mod what so ever.
    If you can, play a few different heads or combos. I love the sound of the one I use now and my main head is a modded 74.
    You never know what you'll find out there.
    When I think about it, it is even possible to find a reissue that sounds amazing.
    Ok, I've rambled enough.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

tribb ,do you remember a solid state amp called a pearce ! unreal ! i been playing them for 15 years. the co. went belly up when they purchased a bad bunch of wire's .i can not find a amp out there that sounds better.i talked to dan pearce recently and told him if i was rich , i would give him the loot to get back in the game ! i now own 6 of these gems - one to cover another"s ass for parts ....to me the amp is more van halen then the peavey 5150 ! it's like the fair warning tone in a box....i would put this amp up to any other amp on the market

Cover that long..

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Baron, although the name Pearce is a name I've heard, I've never tried one.
    Are they really that good? I guess that's a stupid question considering you own a number of them. Are yours heads or combos or both?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Tribb is right, all marshalls are NOT created equal. That not only means that the JCMs won't sound like the JMPs (that's obvious), but it also means that a 1971 superlead won't sound exactly like another 1971 superlead. I've own a couple 71s, and the one I have now is really cool. It used to belong to Richie Kotzen (he used it on the Poison world tour in 94). It's a 1971 Super Lead 100 watt head, but it's wired a little differently. The inputs are basically the same as a JMP 100 watt and the two gains are now a master and pre gain. So, it's like a hybrid between a super lead and a JMP 100 watt. Pretty cool. Like anyone who is looking for a change of amps to get closer to that older EVH tone, I still would recommend to you that you look into a mid 70s JMP. They do a really good job of getting a great foundation rock tone. From there, you can get the head modded if you feel you need more gain. Before you get it modded, I would recommend you try a THD Hotplate. This will let you crank the amp up high enough to really get the power tubes contributing to your tone (without all the volume). You might find you don't need and gain mods.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're absolutely right about the heads Jape. I didn't mean to give the impression that the 71's were bad by any means. The one I had that sounded crappy could have been any year. The one that my buddy has that sounds like the ZZ amp happens to be a 71 master volume and it sounds unreal.
    I have tried a hot plate though and found that it coloured my tone to the point where I had to take it back. I actually had better luck with the marshall power break. It did wear out my tubes much faster though. That was before I had mods done to my marshalls.
    Although they all definitely sound the same, yet different(marshall owners will understand), I haven't found a crapper like the 71 I owned. Knowing more now than I did then, I think the transformers were too efficient, which can cause a problem with an amp like a marshall which should sound overdriven and punchy when you push it. An overly efficient transformer in that head, while delivering power, will sound flat and have really poor overdrive qualities even when pushed.
    The head you have sounds like a beauty. When they get older they only get more character.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

No worries Tribb, I was merely expanding on your point. By the way, it looks like my Bogner deal has fallen through. . .so now I'm going after a Custom Audio Electronics OD-100 instead. I'll keep you posted. Also, I got a KILLER chorus/flange unit. It's an older piece made by a company called Loft. Vivian Campell uses one and it really is an outstanding analog chorus unit. I pair that with my Chandler echo in the loops of my Bradshaw switcher and I've got a sweet little time-based effects package.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.