Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 974 Times in 391 Posts

fellas..

guys...i am gonna get this old pile of shit geetar and i wanna remake it...build it back up....something to play with. i want suggestions (if ya don't mind) from paint jobs to pickups and all around.

no limits man....none at all [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

when i get this sob done, i'll photo it and send it to the guitar room here. everyone give imput...it'll be the vhlinks geetar [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I would suggest a double coil/single/double coil configuration. You can put a treble bleed in the volume pot (so it doesn't get muddy when you turn it down).
    Put a 5 way p/u selector and get the coils on the p/u's tapped. That way you can get a bunch of Strat/Tele type of tones, as well as the balls out double coil tone.

Get biggish type of fretts put in, and if there's any varnish on the back of the neck, sand it off.

Paint job, I'd go for a nice transparent stain (depending on the wood), or a flat/satin black.

just my two cents.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What Home Unit said. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Get a good nut, not a plastic job. Use a 1 MEG ohm pot for the volume if you get humbuckers. If it has a tremolo system, make sure it doesn't float. If I think of anything else, I'll be back.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

i am so liking this!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

JMJ

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Then have a lefty one made for me! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] J/k.

I'd get a transparent Amber or a gloss red(opaque). Those are the coolest colors. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd spray it every color you can get. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

i always liked steve vai's swirl colored jems [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

JMJ

-Zachenfoot 2/23/10

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

technically the swirl is not hard to do....just the right materials.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick S:
    technically the swirl is not hard to do....just the right materials.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

go on.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

JMJ

-Zachenfoot 2/23/10

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the body is painted a base color, then immersed into a tank of water...paint(s) is poured onto the water and floats on top where it mixes or is swirled together....then the body is slowly lifted out of the water and the paint sticks to it as it is pulled out of the tank.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just to add a bit more. Make sure the base coat is a color like red, green blue, white, etc..(black base isn't recommended)
    Also make sure the base coat is an oil base, and the paint you add to the water is oil based, and a good heavy quality. Use cold water, and "Don't" use a latex as it'll mix with the water and just produce a muddy looking mess.
    Hang the body from a secure object like a coat hanger, and use a square tub or container just big enough to completely submerge it vertically, so the horns are sticking straight up, or to the side so it comes up sideways, but don't lie it down so it comes up face or back first.
    When applying the paint to the water work fairly quickly once the body is submerged, but don't rush, because the bodywood should be sealed properly anyway. Add one color, pouring it in gently so it doesn't spread, and then with a peice of wood veneer, cut so it goes from one side of the container to the other, move it across the top of the surface to the left or right, and hold it there with the veneer, while you apply the next color to the water. You can also hold the veneer near the side and pour the first coat between the veneer and side of the tub to keep it confined to one area. Remove the cardboard slowly and move that layer over so it comes in contact with the other layer of oil, but try not to swirl it. Just move it over till it touches. Swirling might mix the oil colors causing an unwanted color. If you do want to swirl it though, use something like a popsicle stick and swirl it gently in circular or wavy lines. Do this a few times with different colors, repeating as many times as you like. You can repeat and add new colors. Then bring the body up slowly, and only once. The hard part is getting the right amount of oil paint into the water so it coats properly, but doesn't run across itself in big drips.
    If you want to add more swirls, let it dry completely in a warm room with good ventilation(could take a week or more to dry properly because there could be a bit of water under the paint. Be patient) and repeat then. When you bring the body up through the paint you can move it slowly from side to side to produce more interesting effects, but don't move it from front to back like a paddle. That might cause the paint colors to separate. You want as little water movement as possible while you're bringing it out.
    I've done this a no. of times and it works great, but a good idea that I strongly recommend is to practice on a smaller peice of wood first(6"x8"x1") before submerging your baby, till you've got it right.
    You can even add silver and gold, or metallic colors for some great effects.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb:

Your explanation actually surpasses the total of all the art instruction of my lifetime in one post.

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

(and I was about to recommend coloring it in with crayon! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

'Twas quite the thorough explanation. But dammit: you forgot one thing. And you KNOW what I mean....
    STEEL WOOL!!!!!!!!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL..I told you Abe...I can babble on with the best of them, even you. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Actually I wanted anyone who tried it to get it right so I was afraid if I put a joke about steel wool in there someone would take it seriously. And I forgot the old crayon ploy.
    Of course everyone knows there's no guitar repair that can't be done with just some duct tape, dental floss, and steel wool. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 09, 2001 at 08:56 AM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

thanks for eloborating tribb! but can you use enamel based paint for the swirl? or do you have to use the oil based then apply a clear coat of some kind?.......... btw did you know on the jemsite.com message board a dude asked how the swirl was done and he got warned to never ask that again or get banned. jemsite is freinds with ADT and i guess they want to charge 400.00 to 500.00 for their swirl jobs. its like its this closely gaurded secret among the ibanez boards or something.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi