Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a question for you guys:

I have built a sound-proof jamming studio in the basement of my house (25 feet x 12 feet square) and want to have the my budds over every month or so for an all-day Jam session (while the wife is out of course).

I have played drums for 20 years...I'm not the best, but half-decent at keeping good meter...I already have my Ludwig drum kit in the studio...it is a very loud kit...

NOW, I want to buy guitar amplification equipment to get a great Rock n Roll sound (Van Halen , Led Zep)...I presently own a Standard black Wolfgang, a POD 2.0 and that's it...

I will never play live...BUT I love to Jam as much as I can for the pure fun of it...I want to great the best guitar sound I can and I have a max $4,000 budget for amps & effects...

Any suggestions on what I need to get a killer sound...

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

It really depends on what you're looking for. . .

BUT, if you want a great all around versitile amp, check out the Bogner Ecstacy 101B or the Ecstasy Classic. It's a 3 channel head that sounds fantastic in almost any style. . .heavy rock, great clean, etc.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How about a couple of Marshall (50 watt) combos with reverb?
    They are pretty 'all round' amps with not too much jape.
    If you have a lot of different players come through they will all feel at home on these amps.
    Spend the rest on some small PA boxes to get the vocals happening and run the bass with a D.I. into the board (It'll save on space).
    I'd also put up some of that acoustic deadening foam...things can get very 'bright' otherwise.
    For effects, I'd buy a bunch of second hand effects pedals with enough patch leads to run them and have them on hand if anyone wanted to use them.

[ January 02, 2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: sean112 ]
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later, all DLR era songs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by subway:
    I have a question for you guys:

I have built a sound-proof jamming studio in the basement of my house (25 feet x 12 feet square) and want to have the my budds over every month or so for an all-day Jam session (while the wife is out of course).

I have played drums for 20 years...I'm not the best, but half-decent at keeping good meter...I already have my Ludwig drum kit in the studio...it is a very loud kit...

NOW, I want to buy guitar amplification equipment to get a great Rock n Roll sound (Van Halen , Led Zep)...I presently own a Standard black Wolfgang, a POD 2.0 and that's it...

I will never play live...BUT I love to Jam as much as I can for the pure fun of it...I want to great the best guitar sound I can and I have a max $4,000 budget for amps & effects...

Any suggestions on what I need to get a killer sound...
    My suggestions:

Amp: Mojave Peacemaker: $2500

Attenuator: THD Hotplate (16 Ohm): $200-250)

H&K Replex: $300

Slave amp: Peavy classic 50/50 amp (or similar) $300

Cabinet: peavy 5150 4x12 or carvin V30 4x12, sell stock speakers on internet and then replace with g12H-30's : $500 + 450 - 350 = $600

total: $3900 or less if if you get good deals on ebay, $4000 if not.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hmm i would buy a mesa boogie triple or double rectifier... these amps are very versitile.... you can have a sound like a marshall or a 5150amp, but it sounds alot better than a 5150, you have more equalizing on it... but watch out, this amp is very expensive...

i have a digitech studio 200 for a rack... harmonizer, chorus etc... all effects included in a great quality, and this thing is not so expensive, maybe 200 dollars, and i´m very satisfied with it...

what you also need is a noise-gate if you´re going to buy a mesa boogie, there are several good companies out there... it doesn´t really matters which one you choose....

have fun with jamming [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander