Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just started reading up on this amp, it seems like a great deal and top-of-the-rock in regards to technology. Anybody have one of these amps and what's your take?

Good Day!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 09:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have one. I have the 212 combo, not the head. I've had it for about 6 months or so. Here's my take on the amp.

There are infinite varieties of tones on this thing. Most of them even sound pretty good. Of course, they aren't as good as the real thing, but when you consider that you'd have to buy 50 amps to get all those sounds, you really can't be too picky about the slight differences in tone. The vintage Fender tones are pretty close to perfect and the Marshall tones are also pretty close to the real thing. I'm not too fond of the rectified tones on it though.

The combo comes with a 4-button footswitch and a single button footswitch. The 4-button switch can be programmed to switch between any four models you want. The single footswitch can either control reverb & effects, or just reverb, or just effects. There is also a programmable expression pedal jack on the back. You can hook up any expression pedal and control anything from gain to volume to delay time to reverb volume to flange get the idea. Pretty much any setting on the amp can be controlled with the expression. You can even use it as a wah pedal.

The effects on the amp are okay. Some, like the reverbs, delays and chorus, are really quite good. Others like pitch shift, phase, and wah are usable. Some, like flange, are pretty bad. Plus you can only run one effect at a time for the most part. There are a few built in "Effects couples", but you don't get a lot of options. They pair up the effects, not you. So if you want wah, chorus, and delay, you're gonna have to use a seperate wah pedal. Really, you'd be better off to use pedals anyway since they really would sound better, but if you aren't that picky, you can get by with most of Fender's built in effects.

The best part about this amp though, is the connectivity. On the back panel you have XLR outputs for left and right channel. You can run those straight to a mixing board and it actually sounds great. Right after I got mine, I a-b'ed 10 or 12 riffs using both the XLR outputs and an SM57. I then posted the clips (not on this board) and everyone agreed that the XLR clips actually sounded better than the mic'd clips. The amp also has a digital SPDIF output. It works great if you have that kind of input on your PC soundcard (if you're into recording).

As far as how well it works in a band situation, I couldn't tell you. I've been "between bands" for about 2 years now and have only played acoustic gigs since my last band broke up. I did take it to one gig and run it straight to the board and during sound check it sounded great. Unfortunately, we never plugged in the electric guitars during the show.

Basically, If you are looking for one particular tone to be absolutely perfect, you need to look elsewhere. If you want to dabble with a lot of different tones, this is the amp to do that with.

For what it's worth, I find that I get less guitar playing done because I play with the amp too much. I have to make a conscious effort to stick to just a few patches that I have set up so I don't waste all of my time fooling around with the amp.

Last Online

10.24.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 379 Times in 187 Posts

"Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.