Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.27.09 @ 02:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A question primarily for the G4 folks, but also for anyone else who's feelin' helpful.

I'm attempting to teach my co-guitarist/singer in my band to be a better rhythm player, viz: to tidy up her muted 'chugalug' metallica style powerchord playing. How would YOU guys teach someone to do this?

I get the feeling that I ain't making myself clear to her, maybe I could be phrasing it better y'know?

Anyways, any help appreciated!

Cheers... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    It'll all end in beers...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TDR, if you ask 10 different guys you'll probably get 10 different answers, but in my case I rest the side of my right hand lightly on the bridge for that stuff, and depending on the pressure and where on the bridge you place it, you can have a completely muted sound to a kind of ringing tone. You can also use your fingering hand to mute by lifting your finger slightly while still making string contact as you hit the note or chord. The only way she'll get it is to practice. It has to be a natural kind of thing to sound right, but since an electric shouldn't be strummed like an acoustic all the time, palm muting is a pretty important part of playing both electric and acoustic.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What's your view on the actual pick strokes themselves? Deep, light, perpendicular or diagonal?

... try telling a girl to practice man [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] it's murder...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I always play with my pick turned at a slight angle, but I play pretty lightly and let the amp do the work. I'll snap the string a bit harder for squeals or false harmonics, but again it's an idividual thing for every one.
    I think once some of the other guys check the board you'll get a no. of different opinions.
    I know guys that play hard and break strings cause of the force, but that's their style and that's right for them.
    Only constant repetition will develop her skill at muted playing, but it will get easier and easier if she keeps at it. If she's not commited there's no way to get her to learn though. How much work she puts into it is up to her. With a lot of us, male/female, it's a natural thing to sit around with a guitar in our hands most of the time when we're not working or stuff like that.
    There's some incredible female guitar players out there, so don't count your co guitarist out yet. If she sings as well that's even better.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While not a G4 member, I may be able to give you some advice based on my experiences as a player and teacher.

First, it helps to use a heavy-ish pick as opposed to a floppy one; it gives a little fuller sound.

Second, resting the pick hand on the bridge in SLIGHTLY different spots will produce a wide variety of sounds. I would suggest practicing by playing a LONG stream of steady notes, but varying the pressure and location of the muting throughout to get accustomed to the 'sweet spots'.

Third, unless someone has a very unusual picking motion, downstrokes will have a chunkier sound, since gravity makes them easier to accent.

Fourth, although I generally try to keep the pick as perpendicular as I can, when playing a chunky low-string figure, I will TURN my pick so that the edge of it scrapes the string a little bit. Combined with muting, it adds a good amount of crunch and chuck to the sound. I just turn it enough to add to the percussiveness of the attack.

Last, I try to never underestimate the value of clean left-hand changes and left-hand muting (damping, choking, whatever ya call it) in getting a clean sound. Making sure extra strings don't ring out when playing with distortion is a BIG part of the battle.

Hope something here helps! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

heres what rick told me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].....tune the guitar down a half or whole step,detune the low e to d and let her wack on the open top two strings...nothins easier ..btw i too rest the lower edge of my palm on the edge of the bridge,i use down strokes ,angle the pick slighty and just use the edge of it to get harmonics.

[ June 12, 2001 at 10:49 AM: Message edited by: RickS dog ]
    "I give you my ass"..... Rick likes all three eras,screw him I like Diamond Dave!....The names Rocky mr.pussy gato.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

I will concur with resting the old hand on the bridge, I do that as well. I use medium Fender picks and hold the pick perpendicular, slightly angled. My attack is usually pretty heavy on muted stuff. I hold the pick between to the tips of my thumb (so I can get harmonics) and my middle finger usually. I only hold the pick with my forefinger when I'm playing open chords. I get better control on muted chords with just the middle finger and thumb.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RickS dog:
    heres what rick told me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].....tune the guitar down a half or whole step,detune the low e to d and let her wack on the open top two strings...nothins easier [ June 12, 2001 at 10:49 AM: Message edited by: RickS dog ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, you should get her to tune the whole guiter down to D then drop the D to C, it's not as extreme as it may sound. I've have my guitar tuned like that for 5 years!

Second, loss a bunch of gain on the amp. The biggest mistake I see is people cranking their gain up the wazoo, thinking it's going to give them a real heavy tone. It doesn't, everyting turns to mud real quick, especially if de-tune at all.

Third, listen to Master Of Puppets 25 times!

Fourth follow the advice of the guys above, practice being the most important. Downstrokes are something you have to practice, they may seem deceptively easy but they're not once you get the speed up! They're a game of endurance, and nothing but sheer repition is going to get them fast, consice, and accurate, cause if you chowder that, everybody knows it!
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey cheers guys, I'm gonna print out some choice quotes and pass 'em on.

She's a great singer, and okay guitarist at the moment... buy 'cos she's such a great singer she tends to rest on her laurels with the guitar playing.

Ask Ed, you know how badly these singer types take criticism. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

As for my take on the muted strumming, I use a purple tortex pick (as thick as I can get without losing the attack), rest that hand on the bridge and angle the pick, I tend to angle it quite a bit anyhow, just force of habit.

I break a shitload of strings too, but that's usually during high string 'panama/unchained' style triads, rather than the chunky stuff.

Cheers again folks!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

plus she s a rock chick ! dude did you tell her i said she was "da bomb" yet? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, keep it in your pants Rick. This the guitar forum. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Did you get your amp back yet?
    I hope they made good on it.

[ June 13, 2001 at 11:48 AM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

quote:
    Originally posted by TDR:
    She's a great singer, and okay guitarist at the moment... buy 'cos she's such a great singer she tends to rest on her laurels with the guitar playing.

Sounds like our singer, sorta. He is a guitarist, but was forced to sing lead out of necessity, and now takes more pride in lyrics and singing than he does in his guitar playing. Which is fine with me actually, more room for me to play. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I couldn't add anything else that hasn't been said...good rythym playing is just a result of tons of practice...

Most guys I have seen play would rather do the flashy lead, but the beat is where it's at...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brett:

Sounds like our singer, sorta. He is a guitarist, but was forced to sing lead out of necessity, and now takes more pride in lyrics and singing than he does in his guitar playing. Which is fine with me actually, more room for me to play. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thing is, we both sing lead!

Only I sing lead well and play guitar properly. She sings lead really well, and plays guitar lousy. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

You can tell I'm putting a lot more practice in on both fronts though.

Aaaaanyway. This isn't the place for a rant. And Rick, I passed on your lust, I'll get you a backstage pass if we ever pass through your town but I warn you: She's a real hard ass! LOL!

Cheers again for the advice, we're gettin' there, had a rehearsal last night and the rhythm guitar was a lot tighter already!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sometimes people agree with me on this and sometimes they think i'm completely wrong but here it goes... if someone knows "how" to palm mute (as in where to place the heel of your picking hand near the bridge, how to hold the pick and to do so without pushing the strings sharp or hitting open notes by accident) then practice is the only way to master it. Someone up top said to listen to "Master of Puppets" 25 times - that album is the EPITOME of metal palm muted chunk riffs. When i was learning to play guitar about 7 years ago i practiced playing rhythm for 3 hours a day and practiced playing lead for 3 hours a day so i could be well-rounded. Both types of playing require good palm muting technique. For more motivation tell her that palm muting just isn't necessary to play riffs but it's necessary to keep your playing CLEAN. Like Steve Vai said, "if it ain't clean it ain't worth shit." Knowing how to do something is one thing and doing it is another so practice of course is the only way. Also, as far as picks go, a medium or heavy pick usually works best so the attack can be quicker and more precise. I use Dunlop Jazz III's which are hard as a rock and are primarily used to execute fast alternate picked 6 string arpeggios. I hope she shapes up dude. Peace.