Thread: Live 316

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

01.07.12 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw someone's post about Eruption and I wanted to know if anyone does the live 316 solo, like Ed does on RHRN. I, personally, like playing the live 316 solo and I wanted to hear if anyone had some variations in it to make it anymore fun. Cause I do it pretty true to form, but I throw a twist in it. I do 316, then throw in Spanish Fly, Catherdral, then I do a progressive tapping attack until I work my way up to the 12 fret of the E string and do the high rapid picking of Eruption. But when I finish that, instead of going up like Ed does, I go 12, 16, 18, 17, 16, 17, 14, 16, 12, 14, 11, 12, and from there I go into Fur Elise from the 12 fret. It's like (this is from memory and I don't even really know what frets I'm playing but my fingers remember)

12-11-12-11-12-7-10-8-5, 0-4-5-7, 0-5-7-8

Once I've slowly picked through Fur Elise, I do it faster, then I do it again but I tab the 12 fret while fingering that. And then after I've done that, I do a version of Fuge and Tocata by JS Bach similiar to the one Ed does. And then I do the ending of Eruption, but instead of a whammy bar dive at the end, I do the Spanish Fly ending.

Anywho, I'm bored and wanted to try something new. Anyone else do anything fun on that song?
    Eat Us and Smile!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:37 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

k u need to get a sound clip of that up

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll try that as soon as I learn how to put my music on my harddrive and then post here for you all. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

1984 by far
    Favorite VH Song

hot for teacher
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the 316 solo off live right here right now is the best solo ever to do live... but i like to throw in the tapping riff from nuno bettencourt's intro to he man woman hater. and also i saw a video of the dude from nitro (if you want to search on Kazaa its called Speed Kills), but basically the guy turns his fretting hand around so that instead of curling around the neck its actually resting there. Its hard to describe. But basically i practiced so i can kind of just run a pentatonic scale up and down a few times really fast, and people seem to like that too.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So Hard . . .
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is that the right tab ? 316 (live)
    EVH: Definitely. Playing guitar was my sanctuary. It was the one place I could go to if I got fucked around by a girlfriend, or anyone else, for that matter. It still is. If there’s something I can’t deal with, I can just spend hours playing. It’s a God-given gift – I certainly don’t know where the ideas come from. They’re obviously given to you, and you have to keep your fingers moving and your mind quiet. I try my best to not think about thinking, so I can just let it flow. Because when I start thinking, forget it. <br />So....why he isn't playing guitar ? ? ?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is the one I used to basically see what he did... plus I have RHRN so I can sit there and figure it out.

http://www.e-tabs.org/tab/van_halen/316_live
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That and I have the sheet music for Spanish Fly, Cathedral and Eruption, and 316 isn't exactly hard, so I can piece it together for the most part. I have trouble with the Mean Street beginning. Sometimes I can do it, sometimes I get messed up and it screws it all up. But as far as the most complete tab of his live 316, that's the best one I've seen.
    Eat Us and Smile!