Register
    Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, so I've got this Tele which i'm getting done up pretty soon, SD hotrails etc, should be cool.

Anyway, whenever I try to palm mute the low E string and hold it, the note is still sustaining, sounding somewhat akin to an elephant farting through my amp. I've messed around with the string by the nut and the bridge a bit but it's still doing it. Does anyone have any idea what it could be and how I could fix it?

Thanks in advance. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Shiro:
    Okay, so I've got this Tele which i'm getting done up pretty soon, SD hotrails etc, should be cool.

Anyway, whenever I try to palm mute the low E string and hold it, the note is still sustaining, sounding somewhat akin to an elephant farting through my amp. I've messed around with the string by the nut and the bridge a bit but it's still doing it. Does anyone have any idea what it could be and how I could fix it?

Well I havn't played a Tele in years but the only way to get a palm mute is to be muting it at an exact spot on the bridge, to far back it won't sound right and too far forward won't sound right, not enough pressure on the string and it won't sound right.
    My Guess is that the allen screws on the saddle for height adjustment are too high and your palm isn't actually touching the string like it should be. just a guess ?
    Rol.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey is that hotrails pickup good?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shiro:

Well I havn't played a Tele in years but the only way to get a palm mute is to be muting it at an exact spot on the bridge, to far back it won't sound right and too far forward won't sound right, not enough pressure on the string and it won't sound right.
    My Guess is that the allen screws on the saddle for height adjustment are too high and your palm isn't actually touching the string like it should be. just a guess ?
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I dunno... I've adjusted the height on it a few times now, and I've tried different ways and positions palm muting but it still happens

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Zman12345:
    Haven't got it yet, but it's ordered

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Zman12345:
    Haven't got it yet, but it's ordered </font>[/QUOTE]I use SD HotRails EXCLUSIVLY in my Strats. I will say, they may not be for everyone. These are BALLS out! But, Give them a shot. I have seen some players replace full size humbucking p-ups with them & the guitar sounds amazing!

[ December 20, 2002, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: SMUDGE NYC ]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The idea behind a mute is that the note "mutes".
    It's not supposed to sustain when your palm is on the tele base plate. You want the note and intonation right, but it should be "muted" and not sustain.
    When you run the notes on that string from the nut all the way up does it still buzz?
    If it only happens when you mute the string then you're either pushing down to hard on the string with your muting hand or you haven't found the right spot to place your hand.
    When your striking the low E string with a mute you want to strike it with a bit more force as well.
    Just keep at it. You'll eventually hit the right spot and pressure to make it sound right.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Make sure your pickups are not up too high...I stuffed around for two days once trying to work out where that 'farting elephant' sound was coming from and it turned out that the pickup was too high.
    When I fretted the low E, it bought the string close enough to the rail so that the vibration was just touching.
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think it's anything to do with my technique as such, it's not ringing out as such, just it plays the normal palm muted part then vibrates. I never had the problem on the guitar before, and I've not got a problem palm muting on any of my other guitars.

I guess it may well be the pickups, although i'm not really sure how they could have raised or anything.

Failing that, I'm stumped [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think it's anything to do with my technique as such, it's not ringing out as such, just it plays the normal palm muted part then vibrates. I never had the problem on the guitar before, and I've not got a problem palm muting on any of my other guitars.

I guess it may well be the pickups, although i'm not really sure how they could have raised or anything.

It sounds like you know what you're doing.
    If you never had the problem before, and you know for a fact that the p/u's are down far enough not to cause problems then it could be that you possibly just have a dead string that doesn't resonate properly when muted.. You could try changing it and see if it helps.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shiro:

It sounds like you know what you're doing.
    If you never had the problem before, and you know for a fact that the p/u's are down far enough not to cause problems then it could be that you possibly just have a dead string that doesn't resonate properly when muted.. You could try changing it and see if it helps.
    </font>[/QUOTE]That's possible. I messed around with the settings on my pedal a bit and I've managed to kill most of it, but it's still there just about.

I'll probably get myself some new strings once my pickups come anyway [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could the string be buzzin' on a high fret Just a thought...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

could it be in your amp? just a thought...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...