Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Top Of The World Loss of Bowel Control's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:47 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

I know this has probably been answered a ton of times here, but what analog effects would you suggest to get Edís sound from the first album? Do you just need an Echoplex, MXR Phaser and an MXR Flanger? Does the 5150 distortion and tone sound like Edís old Marshal?
    Thanks

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't answer the first part of your question.

As for the 5150, this amp is another animal. It will give you tones like in the FUCK and balance albums.

As far as I'm concerned the 5150 is too much amp if you don't gig. I recommend the Line 6 Flextone series amps. They feature models of Marshall plexi amp for the early VH sound, and Soldano models as well for FUCK sounds. Go with that IMO.
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 11,592 Times in 4,941 Posts

You will have a very, very hard time getting the Marshall warmth of the early VH records with a 5150.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A 5150 sounds like a 5150. It's got its own thing going......good or bad.....a 5150 sounds like nothin' else.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No the 5150 doesn't sound like the amp on VHI. Also remember effects are just that, effects. The Flanger, Phaser, and Echoplex will get the effects on that album but the sound comes from the amp and your gonna need something based on a Marshall circuit to get that kinda sound.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Funny thing is, you could probably get by with one of those little Marshall DSL combos, so long as you pushed the overdrive switch, and cranked the gain.

I was once *this close* to buying a little JCM 600 combo, but it had just a *touch* too much shred, even on low gain settings, for my liking.

I was looking for the anti-5150, which was my current amp at the time. I was pretty sensitive back then, and now that I have my little low-gain, fluttery speaker combo, I'd probably bust out for that Marshall if I had the chance again. It had an effects loop, to boot.

As far as the Phaser goes, his application maybe wasn't what you'd label as "typical". You turn the thing down as low as it will go, and use it as a treble boost.

It's cool for legato licks, where it makes you sound like you're shredding, when in actuality you may only be picking every other string or so.

There are tons of examples of Eddie playing legato licks on that album, on any album, actually, but 'On Fire' is an example that flat-out smokes and sounds evil.

I really think it shines when you're picking, as opposed to tapping....that's my 2 cents.

It's not my favorite tone, but WOW, what a way for Edward to bust out of the starting gates back then! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Makes me wanna shed a tear, and pop open a Schlitz tall boy..... [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

And while we're recommending gear to the guy, sheesh, I guess I may as well mention that new POD. I'm getting the vibe that you're maybe not so much a "newbie", but not a guy with an ultra-discriminating ear, either.

You might wanna check out the latest POD....lots of cool presets in that thing:

New POD Preset Samples

[ November 11, 2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Majestic ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Majestic:

It's cool for legato licks, where it makes you sound like you're shredding, when in actuality you may only be picking every other string or so.

There are tons of examples of Eddie playing legato licks on that album, on any album, actually, but 'On Fire' is an example that flat-out smokes and sounds evil.

I really think it shines when you're picking, as opposed to tapping....that's my 2 cents.

Agreed - that was one of the first solos of Ed's I wanted to learn, as well as the technique.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"On Fire" is one of the easiest ones. It's more rhthymic and in the vein of a riff as opposed to shit like the lead on "Ice Cream Man" or "Feel Your Love Tonight."

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Originally posted by Hoobastank6:
    "On Fire" is one of the easiest ones. It's more rhthymic and in the vein of a riff as opposed to shit like the lead on "Ice Cream Man" or "Feel Your Love Tonight."
    Thanks for bringing up 2 more cool tunes....I'm ready to cry again. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

For the record, I did pop open some tall boys last night. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] Not Schlitz, though. Michelob Light

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Thanks for all the info guys! Majestic: Nah, Iím not a newbie, Iíve just been stuck with the same digital processors that I use with my live rig for ten years! I really like the POD 2 for home recording and practice, but Iím looking at some different analog effects to use live.

A buddy of mine uses a Marshall JCM 800 (not sure how itís modified) with an MXR phaser, a flanger, some Lexicon and some echo effect. He loves it, but it sounds a bit tinny to me. I dig the crunch the 5150 has, and I like the clean sound of the combo.

I was primarily wondering what the Phaser set the way Ed has it would sound like with the 5150. Also, Iíve read that he sometimes uses a Boss Overdrive. What does he use Overdrive for and do the new Phasers sound the same as the old ones.
    Thanks
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Loss of Bowel Control:
    Thanks for all the info guys! Majestic: Nah, Iím not a newbie, Iíve just been stuck with the same digital processors that I use with my live rig for ten years! I really like the POD 2 for home recording and practice, but Iím looking at some different analog effects to use live.

A buddy of mine uses a Marshall JCM 800 (not sure how itís modified) with an MXR phaser, a flanger, some Lexicon and some echo effect. He loves it, but it sounds a bit tinny to me. I dig the crunch the 5150 has, and I like the clean sound of the combo.

I was primarily wondering what the Phaser set the way Ed has it would sound like with the 5150. Also, Iíve read that he sometimes uses a Boss Overdrive. What does he use Overdrive for and do the new Phasers sound the same as the old ones.
    Thanks
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Well since you put it that way. If you already dig the tone from the 5150 then that's what matters. I'm also a big fan of the 5150's along with being a big Marshall fan. I really like the Phase 90 in the front with the rate all the way down. Like Majestic said, great for legato stuff, and also cool for funky vowely double stop riffs. I also really like the MXR Flanger in the loop. IMO that deep swoosh sounds good mixed with the 5150 gain. When I use my 5150 my setup is pretty simple. I run the 5150 with the Phase 90 up front and the Flanger and a Danelectro DanEcho in the loop, that's it.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To answer the other part of your question about the Phase 90. The Reissue sounds a little different than a script logo model. I have a script logo and a reissue. I was able to tweak my reissue close enough to retire my script logo model to strictly recording use. Some will of course disagree. coughtribbcough

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 11,592 Times in 4,941 Posts

Hey I like my 5150's tone too and I love having a ton of gain and being loud, so I'm with you. The classic Marshall sound is nice too however. I also use the Phase 90, mine is about 6 years old and it sounds the same as the vintage one Ed used way back when. I think they have since reissued them again, I am not sure but I think the sound is a little different now. Turn the speed all the way down, about 7:00, you get that nice sweep and treble boost that Ed had on the early records. It's a great pedal, highly recommended. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Thanks guys! I'm gonna get a phase 90 today! (God, that sounds like a bad comercial, sorry! [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] )
    Anyone tried out the Boss Overdrive?