Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t pick just one
    Last Online

08.20.08 @ 02:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,
    I was wondering if I could solicit the advice of some people with some experience with Gibson Les Pauls, as I've been interested in getting one for some time.
    At present, I've got some pretty top-notch equipment. A couple Ernie Ball/Music Man guitars, and original '58 Strat, a 5150 II head w/ Mesa Boogie Recto Cabs, etc.
    However, I've always wanted the richness and power that a mahogany body can deliver. And I've always loved the tone of guys like Randy Rhoads, Neal Schon, Frampton, and other noted Les Paul players.
    The reason I've held off getting one all these years is the price for what I consider to be a pretty one-dimensional guitar. Plus, I've been told that there are certain "production years" to avoid when Gibson's quality control was not all that hot. Any thoughts?
    Jim Bailes

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Well I'd stay away from anything new, not that thay're bad, they're just way overpriced IMO.

This whole thing about production years being bad is convoluted bro. Find one you like and call it a day.

My buddy has a 78 or 79 custom, which I've heard are horrible years. Well his paul rocks. I've played lots from that era, and yea a lot of them suck, but not this one. The thing I've found with most any production guitar is 99% of them suck ass. There are alway those ones that are great and once you lay your paws on it, you'll know.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you're going to buy brand new, the only place to go is www.aplusguitars.com . Check out the selection and then e-mail for a price quote. Their price quote will surprise you if you've seen prices at the big chain guitargets like GC and mailorder catalogs like Musicians Friend. They really do have the lowest prices on new Pauls and their custromer service is top notch. I bought a pair of THD Yellow Jackets from them awhile back and it was one of the quickest and easiest mail order gear purchases I've made.

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well it all depends on the individual Les Paul. I've got a '74 Standard, which is supposedly one of the 'bad Norlin era' guitars. I choose this well worn LP over about 10 other new and used LP's, because it had the 'mojo.' And to top that off, the guitar sounds great clean. It's got the T Top p/ups, and they sound sweet. The newer LP's didn't seem to have much in the way of personality when compared to an almost 30 year old guitar.

I'm not going to suggest the years to avoid, cause there are some good ones in the batch, but I will say that I've heard really good things about the '96 LP's. Try 'em out till you find the one that feels best for you.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

play every one that looks good to you, take your time. As with any brand guitar, no 2 will play/sound alike. I have an 86 AAA top cherry sunburst, & I had all but given up on looking till a friend of mine who owned a guitar store in my area & knew I weas looking called me & said he had gotten his hands on the Holy Grail.... He was right!...
    Epiloge;
    Sold it @ 8 years ago.. DUMBASS! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

GGB
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yup, everyone here is right. You just have to find one for yourself. Even if there are "bad" ones out there, a bad Paul is generally still a very fine instrument. I shopped for years to find one that liked. It's a '79 (bad years?) silverburst (bad finish?) that really kicks. During my search I ended up playing so many different ones and I realized how varied they could be, but I could not decide if it really mattered that much to me. I think I wanted just about every one that I played and I knew that I could become attached to just about all of them. It's kind of funny, because I am primarily a Strat player and I don't have that kind of attachment to any of my Strats of others that I have played.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by tripoutski:
    Yup, everyone here is right. You just have to find one for yourself. Even if there are "bad" ones out there, a bad Paul is generally still a very fine instrument. I shopped for years to find one that liked. It's a '79 (bad years?) silverburst (bad finish?) that really kicks. During my search I ended up playing so many different ones and I realized how varied they could be, but I could not decide if it really mattered that much to me. I think I wanted just about every one that I played and I knew that I could become attached to just about all of them. It's kind of funny, because I am primarily a Strat player and I don't have that kind of attachment to any of my Strats of others that I have played.
    That's how I was... But yep, play around, and take the one you like. That simple. And you can always do a little tweak with the tone on the amp if need be, but try to play through your amp to get a good gauge of what you will have... [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

[ September 30, 2002, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10