Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK,

I scored if from a friend for $50. He payed $75 for it with an electronic tuner over 5 years ago.

He has never played it. Has the same strings on it from 5 years ago. But still sounds OK.

I was wondering the age on the guitar. The serial number starts with 84.......is this a hint.

It's got stars on the neck to mark the frets instead to dots. (Can you tell I don't know a lot about guitars.)

It's black with a humungous pick guard thingy that covers up most of the top.

Was it worth $50 bucks?

The action is fine on the first frets, but as you go towards the "sound hole" the action gets higher......is this correctable?

I know it's a piece of shit.....but you know....it sounds better than my Epiphone Accoustic someoen gave me a few years back. I can barely fret a chord on that fucker. At least with the Hondo, I can actually depress the string against the neck........
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Either on the headstock, or in the soundhole, does it say Hondo, or Hondo II anywhere?
    Also, is there a model # anywhere on it?
    Is the neck a set neck(glued in) or a bolt on style neck?

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is a Hondo worth $50...to smash as a prop, or to play?

I guess for a beginner it would be fine, or as a beater...but I'd rather spend that fifty bucks on beer, or save it for a higher end acoustic...

Sorry, if possible you could add shims and/or do a truss adjustment, which would be a great learning experience since you could afford to fuck it up on a Hondo...

As far as the Epiphone, you might wanna try the same thing...personally, I'd trade or pawn both of em, and get a more decent axe

[ September 30, 2002, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: TheMightyCopenHalenII ]
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The very early Hondo's, 72-74 were made in Korea, and are the worst of the bunch, but in 74 they started making them in Japan, which were actually good quality. Believe it or not, even Tokai made guitars for Hondo at one time.
    Old Tokai's are pretty sought after these days because the quality of the early ones is as good as anything put out by fender or gibson in those days, and Tokai's been sued because of it.
    Even Dan Erlewine liscensed a couple of designs to Hondo in the early 80's.
    In 83 all production guitars returned to Korean manufacturing with the product line consisting of 485 different models. That's a shitload of Hondo's.
    In 93 the resold Hondo company was moved to Florida, where a no. of them were made.
    A large no. of crappers were still being made in China and Taiwan, but some good ones were made in the US.
    Unfortunately there are a large no. of Hondo crappo's floating around, but every now and then you can come across a really nice one. Don't get fooled by the logo.
    A lot of people would also shit if they knew their brand name guitar was made by Samick, since Samick makes about 70% of guitars sold round the world, just putting the buyer's logo on the headstock.
    I've played some high end Samicks that were as good as anything out there.
    It's important to know the model to identify it properly.

[ September 30, 2002, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by tribb:
    A lot of people would also shit if they knew their brand name guitar was made by Samick, since Samick makes about 70% of guitars sold round the world, just putting the buyer's logo on the headstock.
    I've played some high end Samicks that were as good as anything out there.
    It's important to know the model to identify it properly.
    Bling, bling, tribb...Isn't Cort also a manufacturer that does lots of stuff for other companies? Goes to show...you can't play the headstock...As Ed would say, "If it sounds good, it is good..."
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cort owns all their own factories in the US and overseas.
    They buy all their wood in the US and canada, ship it to korea for production and assembly, and then ship it back to their factory in Northbrook, IL., where it's checked before sending the finished instrument out to the dealer.
    Cort also puts out guitar parts and accesories under the name Mightymite.
    Although they put out a lot of instruments I believe they only make they're own, but who knows for sure.
    They have some signature series guitars that still fetch around 1000. on the used guitar market. They've had some signature deals with some very well known players.
    Most Cort instruments are moderately priced, but the quality on a number of Korean models I've seen are surprisingly good.
    In 96 Cort had designs made by some very talented and well known lutjiers in the US.
    I know Samick doesn't make anything for Cort, but whether Cort makes guitars for other companies is hard to say.
    They originally used to be considered beginner and mid level instruments originally in the 60's, but that's changed quite a bit over the years.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    Either on the headstock, or in the soundhole, does it say Hondo, or Hondo II anywhere?
    Also, is there a model # anywhere on it?
    Is the neck a set neck(glued in) or a bolt on style neck?
    Tribb,

Would have gotten back to you earlier but I've been too busy playing this piece of "firewood"..

Here's the lowdown.

At the top of the headstock it says...Hondo Guitars...EST 1969.

In the hole it says

Little Susie
    LS55
    Serial # 8400124

It has a star inlay on the headstock and stars on the frets to mark the...uh.....you know what I mean.....

It also has Grover tuners.

I don't see any bolts near the neck so I'm assuming it's glued.

Can't you take out the nut and sand it down to lower the action?

And what about the plastic piece on the bridge....can't that be lowered?

Thanks for your help.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jimmy, I'm waiting for a friend who knows a lot more about Hondo's than I do, to get back to me.
    Just from what I've been informed of so far, it was made after 91.
    It's one of the higher end models, and based on a US design.
    Hondo made a no. of custom models between 91-94, and I'd bet yours was produced during that period.
    Unfortunately Hondo's one of those companies that keeps getting a bad rap, because of their early reputation, and they tended to keep their line of guitars lower priced for students so they all get bunched together and called crap, when that's not the case right across the board.
    When you whip out a line with 485 models in it a no. are going to be total crap, but I don't believe the one you have is, but people see the name Hondo on the headstock and they figure it should be in the woodpile.
    They won't think twice though about shelling out 500. for a korean wolfgang that has consistant problems and very cheap hardware, or an Epiphone acoustic that plays like it would find better use cutting bricks of cheese, because Epiphone slaps a Gibson logo somewhere on the guitar, and Peavey hypes the hell out of the wolfgang "QT".
    They're both nice and new and shiny, and the Korean wolf even "looks" like the one Ed plays.

The neck on yours can be fixed and the bridge can be filed or adjusted, but I wouldn't recommend you do it if you're not familiar with working on acoustics.
    This is one of those mystery models that would be easier to identify if I had a photo.
    Could you email me a photo of the front and back?
    You've got me really curious on this one.
    Even at this point though, I can tell you it's certainly worth more than what you or your friend paid for it.
    I'm curious to find out who the designer was on your model cause going by the model no. it doesn't fit into the lower end Hondo's.
    If it wasn't played for years, and not stored properly it's easy to understand why and how the neck could become bowed and the action could shift quite a bit.
    Like I said, email me a pic. of the front and back if you can and we'll find out exactly what it is.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Tribb, I'll score a camera and get you a picture.