Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I'm thinking about building a Van Halen type guitar just for shit's & giggles. I have a couple of questions. I know Eddie claims to have used Schwinn bicycle paint to paint his. Schwinn is long gone. Anyone know of a similar quality paint to use? Anyone know if Eddie primered the guitars? I would think so but.....

Any thing I may have overlooked, please hip me to it! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

don't forget to consult with your lawyer
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

haha, indeed.
    i woulda just said, go to www.rolsguitars.com , but now you cant. :shitty:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Use Rainbow paint- stripes already in the tin!!!! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

09.08.06 @ 11:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1) krylon spray paint
    2) 3m striping tape
    3) a couple GOOD pics of ed's guitar.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ed painted directly onto the wood,no primer at least with franky. the schwinn paint was acrylic lacquer if you wanna go that route they may have that at auoto paint shops.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the first six
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave era songs
    Last Online

05.09.09 @ 09:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A good picture to use,if you can get a hold of it,is the centerfold of the july 1985 issue of guitar world.it gives you an up close view of the frankenstrat.the back view is small,but yoy will get the idea.i used it to make my franky.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Rick S:
    ed painted directly onto the wood,no primer at least with franky. the schwinn paint was acrylic lacquer if you wanna go that route they may have that at auoto paint shops.
    you will see the wood grain unless you put 20 coats of paint on then sanded it, and maybe that is what Ed did (probably so) but either way the wood has to get sealed so no grain is showing, start with Deft sanding sealer (3-4 coats)then sand it till the wood grain is gone, then start your paint. No primer is fine but you have to seal the wood some how either with enough coats of paint or the sanding sealer, if you don't the wood grain will be ungodly noticable and none of Eds guitars are like that except where his arm wore thru all the layers on the 5150 you can just start to see grain there.
    just my 2 cents of coarse since I never really did any perlications of his guitars [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rols, again this is just something I read, but didn't Ed start off with a guitar that was already painted white and just go from there?
    I'm just curious.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    Rols, again this is just something I read, but didn't Ed start off with a guitar that was already painted white and just go from there?
    I'm just curious.
    it would have been black not white to start with on the Franky but of coarse he could have just painted white over black and went from there.
    and I doubt this because of the wear pattern on the franky, as you know a gloss coat is pretty tough and wears a certain way, a gloss coat when chipped comes off in a chunk, you can see in pictues the dents and dings that are on the franky are to the wood with no deep pitted chipping, I highly doubt it was a guitar that ever had a gloss coat on it meaning it was probably painted from bare wood by him.
    (just call me Sherlock eh?)

with the pictures I have you can see just how thin the paint is on the franky so for
    the original Franky it was bare wood when he bought it as I was told by Lynn Ellsworth when I asked him , now There is some speculation as to when it was painted the w\b scheme, there are pictures of Ed ( a very young Ed) with a black strat with a dimarzio (zebra) humbucker in it, it can be seen in The Inside "Club days" issue #8 that may have been the prelude to the Franky, meaning he painted it black then decicded after a while to tape it up and spray it white, there is no mention to my knowledge of him putting a hummer in any other strat and using it other than the franky although one never knows.
    and remember we are in the dark here cause no one knows when he's on the level in these interviews.
    did I answer your question or just ramble
    Rol.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the first six
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave era songs
    Last Online

05.09.09 @ 09:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey rol,you mentioned something about using sander sealer to seal the wood.my question to you is what kind of paint are you using?are you using auto paint?if you are ,is the sealer compatable with the auto paint.BTW,you were done an injustice by the lawyers.you had an awesome product.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No rambling on your part Rols.
    If anyone would know this stuff, I can't think of a better source of information than you.
    Examining the wear patterns huh? I think from now on we should refer to you as Sherlock..lol
    It's almost impossible to really know what Ed did in those days unless you really sit down with Ed, and even then he was probably pretty wasted at the time so who knows if he even remembers everything.
    I completely agree with you that sealer is the way to go before any kind of paint. Nowadays it can be wiped, sprayed, or painted on, and it's well worth the extra bit of effort.

[ June 25, 2002, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

sorry about that. i assumed the body was sealed. i have the 78 interveiw where ed says he bought the body off the second cut stack and took it home and striped it up,he didnt want to wait to sand the coats and just painted each coat and it only took him an hour or so. ok now for the black strat thing, doesnt that strat have a rosewood fingerboard and fender strat logo on the headstock? and it looks like ed hacked a hole in the pickgaurd cause it still has the single coils in there. and didnt ed say he was using a strat and the band members said it sounded to thin? and he got the bridge for the franky from a 58 strat? could that be the prototype of ideas for the franky? not downing any other ideas just ny theory for disacussion
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Rick S:
    sorry about that. i assumed the body was sealed. i have the 78 interveiw where ed says he bought the body off the second cut stack and took it home and striped it up,he didnt want to wait to sand the coats and just painted each coat and it only took him an hour or so. ok now for the black strat thing, doesnt that strat have a rosewood fingerboard and fender strat logo on the headstock? and it looks like ed hacked a hole in the pickgaurd cause it still has the single coils in there. and didnt ed say he was using a
    strat and the band members said it sounded to thin? and he got the bridge for the franky from a 58 strat? could that be the prototype of ideas for the franky? not downing any other ideas just ny theory for disacussion
    yes it does have a rosewood board with a fender logo neck but as tribb said who knows what he really did in those days, that may have been a homebuilt with a fender neck, it's all speculation and I'll be the first to admit I don't really know nor do I think a whole lot of people do, I have my ideas and I'm pretty sure what took place but I have real clue for sure but it's fun to speculate isn't it .
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the wild thing about that pic is eds clothing /tuxedo thing and sunglasses !!!!. any idea when or where that pic was from?..... since were talking bout the old days ,how come there isnt many pics of ed playing his destroyer before he hacked it up? and lastly, the speculating is fun !youre right rol cause as we know eddie always says the same thing in every interveiw
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi