Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: My new rig. . .

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Tribb, Homeunit, you guys will appreciate this. . . I got a THD Hotplate yesterday! It's basically a power attenuator/load device. It really lets you play your Marshalls really loud, without killing the people in the front row. Anyway, the really cool thing is what else it's going to allow me to do. I plug into my 50 watt JMP and have the hotplate between the head and one 4x12, then I'm taking a line out of the hotplate and sending it to my Bradshaw switcher which contains a Chandler Echo, Boss Chorus, MXR Phase 90, and some other stuff. That signal will then go into either another Marshall 100 watt head (power section only) or a separate power amp which will feed another 4x12. This allows me to have the dry cabinet and wet cabinet, both with the same attenuated signal from the Hotplate. Should be pretty happenin'! Oh, by the way, it looks like I scared the guy who was ripping me off on Ebay. . .he shipped the head and UPS says it'll be here tomorrow! What a relief. What kind of rigs are you guys using to play out?
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Wow, great topic, was thinking of starting one as well

Great to hear about your e-bay shipment!

I was to your site a while back and had a listen to your mp3, some great stuff there dude, we should talk privately, and I'll send you some the stuff we're working on! Give me an email when ya got some time.

Now for the rig!

Fuck!!! I'm in hell

I'm running the POD Pro which sounds great yada yada yada, but........

I really want to add some tube warmth so I went out and bought this http://www.artroch.com/products_detail.asp?PRODUCTID=35
    It works, but not good enough. I returned it today and was going to get this http://www.artroch.com/products_detail.asp?PRODUCTID=39 but they didn't have one.
    Now I'm thinking about it, I may just say fuck it and get a 2/90, but $$$$$ it's a lot of coin!
    I need some help or suggestions. Anyone know of a good tube pre-amp? The ART stuff works, but the pre-amp seems to saturate the tone too much. I've tried every type of combanation but it's just not there
    I'd be willing to buy a power amp and cab and be done with it but, if I could find a direct solution, I'd prefer it.
    I'd also buy a Triple Rec, but the whole point of buying this shit is to avoid having a 3 channel amp
    What kind of power amp are you running Jape? Do you like it?

Help
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

btw, how's the Hotplate diifer from a Power Brake?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Eruption
    Last Online

The Hotplates are WAY BETTER than the Powerbrakes. They're much more natural and transparent sounding. They also have bright & Deep switches that will add some EQing to the tone if you need it (usually a problem at very high levels of attenuation.). They allow you to take a line out, and in general, they are built like a tank. Very cool piece of gear! Right now I'm using another Marshall head for the power amp, but if I go with a separate power amp, I'll either buy my friends Mesa 2:90 or get a Carvin FET 400. The FET might be the way to go, because I wouldn't be sending the signal through more tubes, it'd be a MOSFET amp, so it wouldn't affect the tone too much. Sometimes, when you use a tube power amp in a set up like this, you get extra and unwanted tube coloration of your tone. That's why Eddie used the H&H amp. They are known for beeing very flat — simple, straight, loud power with no tonal color. Sned me an email and we'll talk shop. mdoyle@pilotonline.com
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh oh, here's where I lose the popularity contest again. I bought a hot plate about a year ago on the guarantee that it wouldn't color the sound. It was back in the store 2 weeks later after trying it for some gigs. It not only colored the sound, it affected the highs and lows. The switches didn't help at all and only colored things more. Just to be sure, I first switched it for a different one just in case it was the first unit. No difference. These were both brand new out of the box. Sorry, I know that's not what you'd like to hear, but It just didn't cut it for me. I want the amp to sound exactly like it does, without being colored. I used a power brake as well, when I still used 5150's and found that it actually affected my sound less, but went through tubes much quicker. I finally got sick and tired of all that crap, and found a guy that did an amazing marshall mod for me, including a push/pull pot for half power mode which sounds like it's at full throttle when it's playing at a volume that you can talk over.
    It's got an extra tube gain stage built I that makes it sound like no marshall you've heard, I garantee it.
    I use my 74 marshall head through one of two old 4x12 green back cabs.(close mic.'d) for larger clubs, and outdoor venues, and for smaller clubs I use a smaller cab with 2 vintage 10's, and 1 12" greenback. I use a little delay in the loop channel(also part of the mod), and wah and occasional chorus. In most places where the pa. is large enough I sidewash. That's about it.

Eruption
    Last Online

Tribb, that's interesting about your hotplate. I tried it out yesterday, and noticed that the bright and Deep switch really effected the tone. I actually prefer to leave them off. Here's something to remember when using devices like the hotplate and powerbrake. They are NOT made to get a cranked tone in your bedroom. They really are just to attenuate the amp enough to get more output tube distortion when you play live. I use the first or second level of attenuation. . .it just makes the amp a little more manageable. As for any slight coloration of the tone, I actually like a very little bit of the squashiness it adds. In fact, when we toured with King's X last year, Ty and I talk about how we both really liked that. I'd like to check out your Marshalls Tribb. I have a great overdrive mod done by John Suhr, but I actually prefer to use a stock JMP sound and just turn it up loud. Then I'll boost with a tubescreamer or something for leads.
    www.facebook.com/revery

Eruption
    Last Online

I'm listening to my local radio station right now, and they do a "Freeform Lunch" at Noon. It's all requests, and today they started it off with a song by my band, then "Are You ExPerienced," and now "Summer Nights" by our boys! Good show today!
    www.facebook.com/revery

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jape Man, what radio station do you listen to for the free form lunch? Also, what's the name of your band, and do you have anything I could listen to(on the web)?
    You've got me curious bro'.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tribb:
    Jape Man, what radio station do you listen to for the free form lunch? Also, what's the name of your band, and do you have anything I could listen to(on the web)?
    You've got me curious bro'.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    http://www.seaofsouls.com./ some good stuff there tribb
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jape, I'm new to the hotplate deal. Who makes that?

Eruption
    Last Online

Wolfman, the hotplate is made by THD Electronics. I bought mine from Victor at Plexi Palace (a GREAT website and message board in my opinion!).

Tribb, I was listening to WNOR FM99 in Norfolk/Va Beach, VA. You can also hear some other audio samples at www.rockstar2k.com. Scroll down and click our link and you'll get three song choices.
    www.facebook.com/revery

Eruption
    Last Online

ooops, try http://www.rockstar2k.com

By the way Homeunit, there are some songs on this site that aren't on my band's site. And probably with much better quality!
    www.facebook.com/revery

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jape Man, I downloaded the files off your site and the others you mentioned. Very cool site by the way. Only problem is I don't use real player cause it interferes with my windows player so I'm gonna have to see if I can convert the files to wav. or mp3's and then play them.