Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no patience

Banned!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so i'm taking guitar lessons and frankly i'm bored with scales and can't tune a guitar to save my life. this week i move onto playing more than one string(thank god).
    can a guy like me with no patience learn to play the guitar, or do you need to practice more than 10 minutes a day. i usually spend my "practicing" time turning the gain all the way up and scare the cats. i don't want to be a guitar god, i just want to play loud and fast.
    i just need to get this off my chest. i'm sick of lying to the instructor about practicing when i really don't. i think he can tell.
    for once i would like to finish what i start so's to speak.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TK, I hope I don't sound like a prick, but it doesn't sound like you really have the enthusiasm to learn. Just imagine what it would have been like when you were just a baby. Would you have learned to walk if all you wanted to to spend learning was 10 minutes a day.
    Playing guitar, or any other instrument takes some sort of dedication, and 10 min. a day just won't cut it, especially when you're learning. Ask any of the guys here that are fairly new to the instrument, and are blistering their fingers putting the time in. These guys deserve respect for the their effort, whether they're using an instructor or working on their own, and it will pay off for them down the road.
    Maybe guitar isn't what you really want to play. Have you given any thought to bass or percussion?
    It sounds like you're wasting your money on a teacher if you don't want to practice. Maybe the teacher is making it boring for you to the point where it's turning you off the instrument. I've never heard of any teacher starting you off by teaching on only one string unless you've only had 1 or 2 lessons.
    If you're really dead set against any kind of practicing your money's probably better spent on a kareoke machine so you can pretend.
    As the old saying goes,"either sh#t, or get off the toilet."
    Like I said, you're just wasting your parents money, and everyone else's time.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i agree with. i don't like practicing anything be it golf or guitar or basketball. if i was to play any instrument it would be guitar. i don't have a lot of enthusiasim for anything but listening to music. i'm mad at myself because i wish i was a hard worker. i am offended be the the parents pay for my lesson bullshit. i pay for my own lessons. do not assume things because you make an ass out of u and me. the teacher is having me say the DO RE ME when i play. what does that have to do with anything.
    what i'm i LAWERENCE WELK.
    i'm more along the line of the SEX PISTOLS you don't have to be a master at your instrument.
    [This message has been edited by topik killer (edited February 19, 2001 at 11:00 AM).]

[This message has been edited by topik killer (edited February 19, 2001 at 11:57 AM).]

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.22.10 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm agree at 90% with Tribb , this 'cause I know he's a kick ass guitar player !

if you don't have a lot of enthusiasm it's due to two simple things , that are :
    you're not a patience guy , and if ya wanna learn to play the guitar at higs levels you gotta practise scales , chords more than 10 mins a day , believe me !
    i practised scales , chops and funk stuff for 5 hours a day in my betters kids days , but ya know ... i was so happy in doing this ! ... i practise in the middle of teh nite also 'cause at nite hours i was more relaxed and inspired !

second : ... maybe your guitar teacher isn't able to capture the right feeling you may habe with the instrument !
    i'm a free time guitar instructor in my own place , and beleive me , somethimes it's difficult to capture a guy that wanna learn !
    first you gotta capture his mind , inspiring them ! ... somethimes this ca be hard !

btw ... if ya like punk stuff you don't need to practise hours a day ... just one hours a day for figure out the standard punk chords !

yep ... btw ... all the guitarist from rock to punk like to play really loud !
    i really like the tone of the loud guitar ... it makes me feel better and strong !

------------------
    Eddie_italian from Italy --- member of the G4

Listen to VHvault.com L.S.D. &
    Tribute Radio
    Member of The Van Halen Vault
    VHVault.com Inside 5150

DIAMOND MAFIA ... respect the family !

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It sounds to me like your guitar teacher is turning you off to the instrument. I've taken private lessons for about 6 years now. Going to my guitar "class" is one of the highlights of my week because my instructor always has something new to show me. He also presents the material in a way that is interesting. If you have only taken 1 or 2 lessons, you should NOT be trying to learn scales. The first thing that any guitarist should learn is the basic chords...especially the chords in the 1st fret to 3rd fret area. After they have gotten those down, then they can move on to movable chords like major 5th power chords or full F chords. Playing these chords will not only teach you the basics of the instrument, but will allow you to start off making actual music. Seriously, you'll be playing "Ain't Talkin Bout Love" or "Runnin With The Devil" in no time (except for the solo parts of course). Playing these chords over and over will also start to develop your finger dexterity that will be nessessary to play the pentatonic and modal scales that you will learn later. Also, you guitar teacher should be teaching you songs that you can almost imediately play with the knowledge that he gives you. Case in point, in the 2nd lesson that I took, my guitar teacher taught me how to play the main parts of "Shine" by Collective Soul. I imediately liked playing the guitar A LOT better since I actually knew how to play a song that I liked.
    Damn...this is a long post...

Anyhoo...hope that helps.

------------------
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "I will never change because of a trend." - Yngwie J. Malmsteen
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me start by saying that I AM going to be a prick!

If you can't bring yourself to practicing, you do not want to play the guitar well. You probably want to use the guitar to get out your frustrations or to be 'cool'. Music is NOT your goal; you said yourself that you want to play punk. Punk is admittedly anti-music--making loud noise for the purpose of offending the 'establishment'.

You are open about your apathy, but I sense more than that. I think you WISH you could play the guitar well, but when you found out that it isn't as easy as it looks, you can't be bothered, so you settle for punk to 'legitimize' your lack of ability or determination. You are simply another product of a depressed generation of kids.

I have more respect for music and the guitar than most people would believe, not to mention respect for myself. I have always taken pride in my ability to play, but I also know that I need to work my tail off constantly to even come CLOSE to being the player I think I can be. You do not share this respect for music, the guitar, or yourself. THAT is the real problem, not the guitar itself. If you WANT to get better, only YOU can make it happen. Blame your teacher if you want, but if you aren't practicing, it's YOUR fault, and nobody else's.

I have NEVER been a patient person. My mind wanders all the time, and I was a MATH MAJOR!! Yet I managed to get by just fine. How did I do it? Patience and perseverence. I learned these two traits BECAUSE of the guitar---learning the guitar taught me a LOT more than just the guitar; I developed a work ethic, discipline, the ability to set and achieve goals, and I learned how to coach myself. These are much more valuable in the real world than playing the guitar, but without the guitar, I would not have acquired these characteristics.

So, if you don't have what it takes, and are completely unwilling to at least TRY to have what it takes, you lose. Hell, you lost before you even started because you KNEW you weren't into practicing. Yet you started anyway, and the reasons why we'll never know.

You can't 'buy' skills on an instrument; you have to EARN them. Nobody can give it to you either. This is the harsh reality; learn it well. If you KNOW you aren't going to bother with learning the guitar to the best of your ability, then stop wasting people's time and eardrums with it. When you're 40, married, bald, and working a job you hate and coming home to a fat dirty wife with rotten kids, and you HATE your life, you WILL regret the defeatist attitude you have taken. You will have NOTHING enjoyable to look forward to on evenings and weekends, and you will have only yourself to blame.

But hey, if you don't want to practice and work at something, go right ahead. Give up on hopes for a better life now--that way you won't be so disappointed later.

------------------
    Official Calculator of the VHLinks...and damn proud!

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WOW! great posts. i'm 24 so it is probably to late to be a rock star. i picked up the guitar not because of girls or money. it was when i see people on stage i get goosebumps. it is still what i would like do, i have no interest in the 9 to 5. i don't blame the teacher, but our musicial taste are different. i have learned the PENTATONIC BLUES SCALE and MAJOR (IONIAN) SCALE. i am not a people person, but i like coming here mostly because i like talking music with such knowledge people.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While I don't think that lessons are a necessary thing, I am the same guy that's been playing the same solo for 5 years.

Listen to Tribb and these guys. They are musicians that actually get paid money to do something they love.

At a minimum you should be able to pick up a guitar and play for a half an hour a day and not be bored. If your attention span doesn't last that long, then maybe guitar isn't for you. You may have days were you're not into it, but this could be becuase of the frustrations that come with playing the same shit everyday. I know. This happens to me. A few lessons here and there would really help me. Not to play in a band, but to further the enjoyment of playing guitar.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

You get what you give to music.

If you ask any one of us who are passionate about music and playing you'll hear the same thing over and over again. We all work our asses off to keep learning, but to us it's rarely cosidered a negitive thing. It's a labour of love. It has it's own intrinsic value. We play because for most of us, it's in the blood. We can't not play.

Having said that, practicing theory can get a little tedious at times, but you work through that. When I was younger, I used to practice 4-6 hours a day. I needed to do that so I could play what was in my head. To me that's the whole point of practice, to be able to perform the stuff that's in my head. If I can't play it (and I really want to) I still go and pull out the books and do the work I need to, to get the chops to do what I want.
    There are a lot of guys who who want to play a bazillion miles an hour and the only difference between those who do, and those who don't is the time spent making it happen.
    I don't really think that there's a right or wrong way to learn music but to me it makes more sense to learn why 5150 is a great song rather then just learning to play it. Music is like a new language and if you want to be able to communicate you need to know the language. How much you learn is up to you

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.22.10 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ya right homeunit !

------------------
    Eddie_italian from Italy --- member of the G4

Listen to VHvault.com L.S.D. &
    Tribute Radio
    Member of The Van Halen Vault
    VHVault.com Inside 5150

DIAMOND MAFIA ... respect the family !

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lets see,
    20 something,dont wanna 9 to 5 ,dont finish anything,no attention span,etc.....
    hmmmmm.
    maybe put the dope away first!!
    i play a minimum of a ahlf hour a day and it rarely happens that i dont lose track of time!
    if you cant find a half hours worth of disoplin(?) at your age ya better stop and look at the situation pretty close.
    E-Z

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL...I think maybe e-z got closer to understanding the problem than any of us.
    Welcome aboard.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sorry i brought it up.
    moderator please close this.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, topik killer, what did you expect?

You come here and complain to a bunch of VERY dedicated guitarists about your lack of desire/ability/patience/etc with the guitar. We do not sympathize because when WE felt that way, we worked at it. Now, when someone suggests that perhaps it's time to give up some substances, you get all pissy.

I think this thread contains some GREAT words of wisdom and should remain up, even at your expense. Sorry, guy, there are some common threads to the threads here, and they are all here to help you and others better themselves.

------------------
    Official Calculator of the VHLinks...and damn proud!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Ain't closing this

Like Abe said, lots of good advice here.

I don't think anybody's hackin on you, just responding to your post!