Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

"They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've read much debate on this, and I wanted to get your guys' opinions. Can the 5150 do anywhere near VH1/Brown Sound like those Buddas, Mojaves, and Plexis can?

I'm thinking not stock, but do any of you use any sort of rack mounts, pedals, etc to get it?
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 5150atomic:
    I've read much debate on this, and I wanted to get your guys' opinions. Can the 5150 do anywhere near VH1/Brown Sound like those Buddas, Mojaves, and Plexis can?

I'm thinking not stock, but do any of you use any sort of rack mounts, pedals, etc to get it?
    no, I tried and as far as I'm concerned it can't be done there is just too much difference in tone, even if you turn down the massive gain that it has,I have tried massive EQ's (31band) I've tried the rythm channel lead channel no pregain and drive it with a pedal yadda yadda yadda it's just not the same, I have came closer with a $200 100 watt AOR Laney that a bud of mine has,
    I have not tried to change the Preamp or power tubes to something different and don't till you ask someone qualified, I have heard the amp does not need to be biased *but* I won't belive it till someone I hear it from someone I know that knows for sure or someone that will pay for the damage that it may cause , I know all other tube amps need to be .

I now have a Moddded Marshall JCM - 800 that I use 3 12 ax7's and 4 El34's with a Power Tool and a 31 band EQ I need to get another head for a power head cause it still has to be loud (not as loud but loud) running thru the internal 50 watt power amp the power tool has, as soon as I get a mike and a power head I'll post clips.
    Rol.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

"They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like a sweet rig. Is that Laney tube?
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 5150atomic:
    Sounds like a sweet rig. Is that Laney tube?
    The Laney of my freinds yes was a 100 watt AOR with 12ax7's and EL34's *Now STOP !!* [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] don't go buy a Laney thinking your gonna get that sound, I said *closer* it's basically a copy of a master volume Marshall JCM, only it has a "boost" switch and they can be retubed cause it also has a bias switch, they are called the "poor mans" Marshall they do not have as high quality transformers and such as a Marshall, but not a bad amp head for $250 or less used, matter of fact I'm probably going to buy that to preamp the Marshall\Powertool into just to use as as a power head like what I'm doing with my 5150's now.
    Rol.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a big advocate for the 5150 as a modern high gain amp. BUT its no going to do the early VH thing like an old Marshall or a Budda. I know this because I've had my 5150 sitting next to the Budda I owned and right now its sitting next to my 71 Marshall. It don't sound like those amps and your just going to be dissapointed if you buy one trying to make it sound like those amps.

However, if you want a modern high gain amp that still has a pronounced midrangey tone then the 5150 will make you happy as all get out.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

05.01.13 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I used a modified Marshall JCM 800 and it just seemed like I was always having to tweek something to get it to sound right. One day it sounded great, the next it didn't. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

If you want a great sounding amp (late VH rather than early) with little or no hassle, the 5150 fits the bill!

Good luck. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gotta agree with you MOJO, i've had my 5150 for about 2 years and I found a cool setting for it within a few days, has'nt moved since....

I must admit i'm a great believer in simplicity, I only have a DD3 in the fx loop and a wah in front and thats it ..... I can get a credible 1984 and balance tone [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 5150atomic:

no, I tried and as far as I'm concerned it can't be done there is just too much difference in tone, even if you turn down the massive gain that it has,I have tried massive EQ's (31band) I've tried the rythm channel lead channel no pregain and drive it with a pedal yadda yadda yadda it's just not the same, I have came closer with a $200 100 watt AOR Laney that a bud of mine has,
    I have not tried to change the Preamp or power tubes to something different and don't till you ask someone qualified, I have heard the amp does not need to be biased *but* I won't belive it till someone I hear it from someone I know that knows for sure or someone that will pay for the damage that it may cause , I know all other tube amps need to be .

I now have a Moddded Marshall JCM - 800 that I use 3 12 ax7's and 4 El34's with a Power Tool and a 31 band EQ I need to get another head for a power head cause it still has to be loud (not as loud but loud) running thru the internal 50 watt power amp the power tool has, as soon as I get a mike and a power head I'll post clips.
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I use a 31 band in my rig too!
    I get a lot of flack from guitarists because it's 'too much', but you can dial in just about any sound you want and I would never go back to a 7 band after it!..................so there! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ January 13, 2003, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: sean112 ]
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by MOJODOJO:
    I used a modified Marshall JCM 800 and it just seemed like I was always having to tweek something to get it to sound right. One day it sounded great, the next it didn't. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

If you want a great sounding amp (late VH rather than early) with little or no hassle, the 5150 fits the bill!

Good luck. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    well that depends on what was done to the amp and who did it, when I boght this marshall it was a basket case the people did *not* know what was going on, I took it to a guy here in town and he made this amp KILL any jcm-800 out there I was gonna sell it cayse I always buy and sell stuff
    but I just couldn't do it it was just too cool,
    now for your other comment the question was can you get the old VH1/Brown sound out of a 5150 and my answer is no, can you get a later VH Tone with it ? Yes. and when I say later I don't mean VHII
    I mean FUCK\Balance
    Rol.