Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there,

I was just wondering if there was any difference between the pick ups in the Wolfgang QT Special (i.e. the Korean made one, not the USA one).

I was under the impression that the pick ups in the Wolgang Standard are exactly the same as the ones in the Wolfgang Special.

I was also under the impresssion that although there are several cosmetic differences between the QT Wolfgang Special, the pickups are exactly the same.

I've checked on the Peavey website, and it just says the standard, "Two humbucking designed to Edward Van Halen's specifications".

The reason I ask is there is an auction on Ebay in the UK and a guy is selling his USA Wolfgang Pick-ups.

In the description, this is what he says :

This auction is for a pair of pickups taken out of my USA PEAVEY WOLFGANG guitar.

Please note, these pickups are the USA pickups and are not the ones found in the Korean cheaper guitar.

If you own one of these cheaper Korean £450.00. Wolfgangs, then installing these pick-ups will make it sound more like the USA version - as Peavey fit low quality pick-ups in the cheaper model guitars (obviously to keep costs down).
    Just puzzled me, because I thought the pick-ups were the same.

So are they ?

[ November 19, 2002, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: mondola ]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:49 AM
    Liked 66 Times in 35 Posts

I thought that the pick-ups were the same. But, I am not 100%.
    Aint life grand!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The pickups are made to the same specs in both the Korean and the USA versions (or so Peavey says). I'm sure they use different suppliers, so you probably aren't getting the exact same pickups, but from most accounts I've heard, they are very similar sounding.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So, we can safely say that this guy's claim is complete and utter arse !!!

I thought so...

"<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, I e-mailed the dude, putting this :

Original e-mail sent to e-bay-er

Hi there,

I was searching on ebay today, and I came across your featured item :

&lt;INTERNET LINK REMOVED&gt;

It does indeed seem a great deal, however, I am a little confused by your claim that :

"If you own one of these cheaper Korean £450.00. Wolfgangs, then installing these pick-ups will make it sound more like the USA version - as Peavey fit low quality pick-ups in the cheaper model guitars (obviously to keep costs down)."

Because I don't think that this is accurate. I'm under the impression that there are several cosmetic differeces between the USA and Korean Wolfgangs, but to all intents and purposes, the pickups are the same (albeit made by different suppliers, but to the same specifications).

Just thought I'd suggest that you edit your description in case someone does buy your pick-ups on the basis of this statement, only to find that it doesn't change the sound of the guitar at all. You may get a bit of hassle if that happened dude.

Hope you understand where I am coming from,

Cheers,
    And these are the two responses that I got :

First Response

They are different pick ups in the USA and the KOREAN models.

I work in the music industry and have spoken to the UK rep at Peavey, they may be wound to similair specs, but they are not identical. For instance, I have to temporary repair a USA Wolfgang with a Korean Wolfgang pick up and it sounded very different.

The resonance of the pickups are different, as is the DC resistance. Two things that are essential to pick-up sound.

I have worked as a guitar tech for the UKs biggest guitar shop (was Musical Exchanges, Birmingham) and I still do repairs for several midland based shops, as well as working at a store part time.

Trust me ! The korean ones are different.

The korean Wolfgang is a great guitar for the £400 mark, and I actually rate the trem system more on the Korean than the USA model.

&lt;NAME REMOVED&gt;
    Second response

Also, Peavey wind there own pickups for the USA wolfgangs in house.
    The Korean ones use ones made in Korea !
    &lt;NAME REMOVED&gt;
    So, although I still don't know whether he is right or not, at least he was pleasant enough in his reply, and seems to know what he is talking about...

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe the seller to be 100% right. They do sound different!! Look at it this way:

Seymour Duncan = Made in the USA
    Duncan Designed = Made in Korea to USA specs By a different supplier

Now, just becasue Peavey doesn't have a different designations as does SD.... I think the seller is right. You'd be hard pressed to find a Duncan Designed that sounds anywhere close to a Real SD.

Here's another one for you:

Fender Strat USA--&gt; Made in USA
    Fender Squire Strat --&gt; Made in Korea to USA Specs

And Another:

Gibson Les Paul--&gt; Made in USA
    Epiphone Les Paul--&gt; Made in Korea to USA specs

And Yet Another:

ESP George Lynch Kamikaze--&gt; Awesome guitar (made in Japan)
    ---&gt; Has SD Screamin' Demon Pickup which Rocks
    ESP LTD GLK500--&gt; Hunk of shit made in Korea
    ---&gt; Has Duncan Designed Hunk of Shit Pickup "Wound to Screamin' Demon" Specs

NONE of these even compare!! Peavey doesn't have some magical shop in Korea that they just built. They use Samick or some other hunk of shit supplier just like all the other Korean Versions. Why should their version of the guitars or pickups be any different than the other comparisons above?? Most people are suprised to find out that nearly all of the Korean guitars are made at the same damn factory!
    And if you don't think they are hunks of shit... you got lucky and got a good one or you are in denial. (Good ones are rare, but I have come across a few--&gt; The quality is so hit and miss that it is hard to find a good one)

Just my Two Cents,
    Ryan

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, I believed the guy, and thanked him for being polite and civil in his response.

I don't own a Korean one, and what I know about them are what I have heard about them. Generally people say they're not too bad, but need a bit of setting up.

I just wanted to make sure the ebayer didn't get himself into any bother, but it turns out that I was the guy in the wrong after all !!!

[img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:49 AM
    Liked 66 Times in 35 Posts

I still learn something new every day. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Sounds like the guy knows his stuff. I guess I read too much into Peavey's descriptions.
    Aint life grand!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.27.17 @ 03:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not so...

...awhile back, a post asking this very question showed up on the Support Boards at peavey.com. The response was that, since late 2002, all pickups, whether installed in EXP, Special, Standard, or even Custom Wolfgangs, are the same, identical, KOREAN-made pickups.

That came straight from Peavey. If you don't feel like trusting me, register for their boards, and post the question again. I've seen this question asked a few different times, and they've answered readily and honestly each time.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not that I don't believe those on the peavey boards, but I spent quite a bit of time on there a few years back until I got fed up with a considerable amount of bullshit from owners who take everything thing they read from a manufacturer as the gospel truth.
    It would be nice to think so but unfortunately the world doesn't run that way.

I spoke to a friend who has been rewinding pickups professionally for over 25 years and although korean peavey pickups are wound to "US specs", that doesn't necessarily mean they're anything like US pickups.
    Anything from the magnets, to bobbins, to the type or thickness of wire used may be different, as well as the accuracy of the machines used to wind, although I don't think there would be a problem with the machinery.
    If anything I think the parts and materials would be cheaper to save money.
    Manufacturers, like lawyers, will usually give you the truth according to what they feel "you need to know".
    If you want to find out more you'll have to do the research.
    I don't believe the Korean pickups are exactly like the US made ones, because the rest of the guitar isn't up to par with the US models, in regards to parts and materials.
    I know they look pretty, and I'm trying not to rant even though it's my nature to do so, but if you can get US made p/u's I'd do so. Then sell the Korean ones to someone who won't believe anything except what's on a manufacturer's site and they'll be happy. The US made p/u's probably won't make the Korean wolf worth any more, but then again it might to the right buyer.
    What I'm at a complete loss to understand is why people are buying korean made wolfs when there are so many used US made models going at near the same price.
    I still say buy US whenever possible.
    Please don't be fooled by a quilted picture on the front of the body. I know, people say it's a real veneer, which is like saying it's real paper.
    It has no effect whatsoever on the sound.
    If you're really that hot for a nice quilt and you have a few bucks extra, you can buy a used US special, and there are a number of companies that will put a top quality quilt top on it for you.
    If you love the guitar and don't have the extra money you can always have it done down the road, but at least you'll have a better quality instrument to begin with, and by then maybe you'll come to realize that a nice picture is just fluff to sell an instrument.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

?

Not sure about your reasoning there, tribb? Why would Peavey WANT to tell owners of American Special, Standard, and even high-dollar Custom Wolfgangs, that their pickups are Korean? Unless...they are.

Believe me, the first couple of times this was discussed over there, American Wolfgang owners weren't thrilled, but it doesn't serve any good to ignore the fact that, since late 2002, pickups have been Korean-made, regardless of the Wolfgang.

Not trying to pick a fight or anything. Just restating what Peavey's official line is, and that is that, even on their premium, high-dollar Wolfgang Custom, the pickups have been Korean-made for more than the last year of production.
    Last edited by s6275; 01.29.05 at 07:15 AM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No problem s6275. To be perfectly honest I haven't been to the peavey forums in years and wasn't aware that they're stating that all their pickups come from korea, although that's not a thought that I'm particularly pleased about.
    I was just stating what I believed was the difference between p/u's made in the US and those made overseas, using lower end parts to save money.
    I've never been a fan of wolf p/u's, and even when I had mine I swapped the pickups out on the guitars I was using. They were made well before 2002, but I still didn't care much for the sound. Now that I know about them making them all over there I'm even less impressed.
    I'm wondering if that was just one more crack in the armour to save money that made Ed decide to leave peavey.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I've thought that, too.

I remember hearing that Ed wasn't thrilled about EXP Wolfgangs in the first place. If that's true, having ALL of "his" pickups made in Korea surely couldn't've helped.

I happen to play a blue-quilt Korean EXP body that I've grafted an American neck and hardened steel Floyd onto, and I've gotten a number of compliments on the sound of the guitar. Combine the fact that it has all those US parts on it with the fact that I got one of the "good" EXPs that was mentioned in an earlier post, and you're right: overseas consistency is a problem.

Much safer to buy a used American Wolfgang Special, but if you decide to get an EXP, make SURE you can play it first. Afterward, if you can manage it, slap an American neck and Floyd Rose on it. Good luck finding those, though.
    Last edited by s6275; 01.29.05 at 10:49 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans being
    Last Online

02.07.12 @ 01:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmm that IS interesting...Korean made p/ups on some of the USA Wolfies?! - that might explain why my USA deluxe sounds quite diferent to my USA standard - both 2002 models - the USA standard sounds very similar to my old pat applied for standard, so that one probably has the usa p/ups and the deluxe has the Korean.