Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Friends,

Does anyone have any advice on playing the Seventh Seal? I'm a rythm guitar player, and this tune for me doesn't have the mondo hammer on solo, so it's a feasible VH cover. I don't want to cover a VH tune that I hack up!

I found a short version of the tab, and it'll get me off to the right start, I think, but does anyone have any effect advice, sounds like he's running an auto wah on part of it, or just being a god on a wah pedal, little bit of flanger on the transitions.

Total ripping riff, my favorite VH/Hagar tune.

Thanks brothers and sisters, and pray for peace. Maybe music can save the world, cause war isn't gonna do it.

Strato...
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have several tips that can help you get this tune sounding the way it does on the album...

1.) I've seen alot of tabs to this song where it just has 5th's on the D & G strings for the main riff and they leave out the open high E string. The main riff is 5th's on the D & G strings but there is also an open high E attached to those chords. Muffle the B string and hit the high E in conjunction with the chords.

2.) On the descending chord section that starts on an E5 in the 7th position the effect used there is an MXR Flanger to be exact. I haven't actually sat down and tried to get the flange sound the way it is on the album but i would figure that the regeneration knob is at least in the 12 O'Clock position and the manual is also turned up pretty high.

3.) The wah sound that you hear is actually a wah pedal turned on but not moved when the notes are being bent. It's called using a wah as a "filter." That's basically an overdubbed part that I wouldn't bother recreating live if I were to play this song. The wah is turned on for either a treble or a bass freq. response and in this case it's probably set in the middle.

Hope that helped..

[ September 15, 2001 at 06:38 PM: Message edited by: AxeSlinger84 ]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use triads in the 2nd, 5th, 7th, and open positions for the main riff, but that changes for the bridge. A lot of tab doesn't quite get it right because, although they give you the way to get the basic sound, a lot of time the finger positioning in the tab isn't correct. Tab's probably correct about 70% of the time.
    Can you get a video of them doing it? That way, once you've got the basics down you can watch Ed's finger positions to see where he is on the neck, and then change your chording to match. A lot of time playing the chord in the right position will have a dramatic effect on the way the song sounds.
    A lot of time, just watching where Ed put his hands on the neck has explained things a lot more clearly than tab, but tab is definitely good for getting you started when you're not familiar with the song at all.
    Since you're not using the same equipment as Ed you might want to just experiment and see what you come up with. I agree, it's a really powerful song.
    I know I probably didn't answer your question, but it did give me a reason to babble. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thanks AxeSlinger, I'll keep hacking at it. I play an old BlackFace Fender, so I'll never have "that" sound. Although, I do have "that sound."

This is a perfect song to explain to people that VH is/was a band. Ed's part, yeah it's cool, but Mikey's bass is awesome, especially the live version I have (our bass player is gonna be pissed) and Alex is playing the best drums I've heard from him. Not to mention Hagar and his bionic vocals. I can't believe how gifted they all are/were. Nice to hear all 4 highlighted in one song.

Was Balance recorded w/5150 or Soldano? Did they tour with Ed on 5150 or Soldano?

Thanks everyone!

Strato
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't wanna speculate and give you wrong info but at the same time I am trying to hit post #400 so I'm gonna post this [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ...

I'm pretty sure the Soldanos were primarily used on OU812 since the old Marshall was in bad shape by then. It's not uncommon for several amps to be used on an album by any band. I've read interviews from the 90's where Eddie said he used the old Marshall on every album. So it is possible that there were Marshalls, Soldanos and whatever else used besides the 5150's.

I'd assume the majority of the guitars were done with Peavey 5150 amps and Ernie Ball guitars with a few exceptions (the solo on "Big Fat Money" sounds like a Gibson hollowbody 335 or 355.) [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Soldano entered circa FUCK, not OU812 as far as I know.

Ed would tell ya Balance is all 5150, but in reality it's probably a bunch of different amps.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

he used the marshall (which had been rebuilt) on the solo of big fat money and for most of aftershock.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

AxeSlinger,

The only version of Seventh Seal I have is a live version, and yep, Ed's getting that wah "filter" thing going. He uses it tastefully man, just a subtle something.

Thanks Tribb, I think I'm going to take that song to my next lesson, with the shitty tab I have and see what my guitar god instructor can pull. The tricky part will be getting a singer who can pull off Sam esque vocals. Ouch, sorry about your throat dude.